Is there a true replacement for antron?

joeypm

joeypm

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a yarn that one could buy say in a craft store. One that replaces not only the sparkle but the ability to hold the bubbles as Gary laFontaine discovered. I dont mind buying some at the local fly shop, but some of these shops just take advantage.

Thanks again for any help.... keep tying the fish are waiting!

1.50/spool green,copper,black,bright green,olive,cream. Not sure
about a replacement, but I will see if we can find a cheaper substitute.

I just bought some this past week at the Neshannock Creek fly shop. Check around your local shops. They may have some sparkle yarn.

A replacement from a craft shop won't be hard to find. The bad news is you'll wind up paying more for one skein of yarn (just one color) than you would for a nice assortment of the right stuff from Hille's, or your local shop. Those $1.50 spools from Hille's will tie a whole bunch of Sparkle Pupas, and unless you tie commercially, or have a bunch of friends you could split the cost and materials with, it's not economical to buy in bulk.

Heritage

I see your from the lehigh valley! I think i've seen your plate at the little lehigh! Anyways you mentioned Hillie's? Is this a brand and where in the lehigh valley did you purchase this? Thanks to all for your quick replys!!

Joe

Joey,

Hille's is a fly shop located in Williamsport and has ahuge tying selection. The owner posted (#2) listing what colors he has.

joeypm wrote:
Heritage

I see your from the lehigh valley! I think i've seen your plate at the little lehigh! Anyways you mentioned Hillie's? Is this a brand and where in the lehigh valley did you purchase this? Thanks to all for your quick replys!!

Joe

Hi Joe - At one time, that plate was on my truck. The plate came from Slate Run Tackle Shop (they're no longer available). It has since been relegated to my tying area wall, since it didn't fare too well when I rearranged the back bumper of a Lincoln Continental. :-o

This is E. Hille's website:

http://www.anglersupplyhouse.com/shop/

Hille's has been around a long time - one of the all time great fly shops in Pennsylvania.

I have garys original dubbing, its long so you can use it for the veil.. My supplier bought out dupont of the last of the original stuff(antron) all dyed to garys specs.. Its called A B Caddis, check out my site.

ive seen a plate like that fishing the DHALO of laurel hill near humbert a few weeks ago...

Ok here is a fly i tied today with original Antron. An Apple Caddis Emergent Pupa.

Somewhere, Gary Lafontaine is smiling.

I'm suprized more people don't use his patterns, they do work. Gary was a gifted person.

sandfly wrote:
I'm surprised more people don't use his patterns, they do work. Gary was a gifted person.

Not just gifted as a tier and fisherman, he had a great sense of humor that is evident in his videos. Must have been a great guy to go on a fishing trip with.

Nice flies Sandy. The LaFountaine flies are great! They're not that popular because they are a PITA to learn how to tie, and you need the proper Antron material. Once you tie a few, it's really not that hard to master. Also, the flies (ESPs & DSPS) I've seen in most fly shops aren't tied properly and/or don't use the right material. When tied the correct way and with the right materials like you do, it's a killer pattern for caddis.

one reason I have the correct material.

I mostly used antron as a wing on small downwing dry flies caddis,stoneflys etc. but found that z-lon stays drier a lot longer than antron, there is also a product out there called zing also a john betts product which tends to make it a little more expensive, if anyone knows where i can find a shop that carries zing could you let me know cause it sure is hard to find

Back