Is head cement needed?

ryguyfi wrote:
You should make the JAM this spring. I've always enjoyed your literary genius and would enjoy meeting you as I know others would too.

Maybe this year. I have the Kettle Creek Summit in May. Just might be able to squeeze in the Jam to.:)

hey. just wondering but, i got some dubbing wax, the sticky stuff, and it mysteriously dried out. can i apply it likke you would hard wax, or do i need some new stuff?

I prefer it to be very very very very tacky. IMHO, for a few $$$$, you'd be better off to buy another tin. Might be a trick to getting it tacky again, but I don't know it.

nealfish wrote:
hey. just wondering but, i got some dubbing wax, the sticky stuff, and it mysteriously dried out. can i apply it likke you would hard wax, or do i need some new stuff?

That strikes me as a bit odd. What brand was it? I have some dubbing wax that has to be over 30 years old and it is like new. There really shouldn't be much in the way of volatile components.

If by hard wax you mean tying wax or cobblers wax, and you are asking if the hardened dubbing wax could replace the hard wax, I think it would be best to use the real stuff. the ratio of soft wax to rosin is different, and I would guess it is unlikely that you would get the same effect. I really like to use a bit of tying wax when I'm starting the thread on the hook, or tying in hair. It seems to add just a bit of traction to the thread that makes the tying easier. You can use it to the thread before a whip finish, but don't do his if you plan on adding head cement as it will prevent the cement from penetrating the thread. I'm going to be making up a batch of tying wax in the next week or so and would be happy to send you a bit if you PM me an address. A little goes a long way.
Mike.

Back