Is head cement needed?

1hook

I'm very new to tying but have a few dozen flies under my belt. I haven't been real happy with the way head cement finishes some of my flies... Often times leaving like a white crust in the soft fibers... Certainly could be my application. I'm gonna get some Sally Hansen hard as nails to try because my head cement is getting thick on me.

My question for you fellas is do you always use head cement or is a whip or double wip finish enough?

Another question I have pertains to recycling flies that don't turn out right which is the case for me more often than not...what is a good method? I know that trying to unwrap/cut them is a pain. I've been thinking about setting fire to them and letting the material burn off...not sure if that's the right idea, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

I haven't used cement in a while on my flies, unless it calls for a glossy finished head(EX> Mickey Finn) ans just use a double whip finish.
As for recycling your flies, I'm sure they aren't that bad and are fish-able. But if you don't think just use a razor and cut material off while the hook is mounted in the vise.

JH

Don't burn. It changes the temper of the hook. As for head cement, I never use it on my personal flies as I usually lose them before the thread can rot. On customer flies I use Sally Hanson Hard as Nails. The stuff works great.

I use a small dab Sally Hansons on the head of all my flies.

I usually don't bother with head cement. Just a double whip finish and and they're ready for the water.

a few tips you can use thinner in your head cement the last time i used head cement it turned white too i think thats because its old but i could be wrong even thinner couldnt stop it from turning white like festus on personal flies i just do a few whips and if i do ill use togh as nails or zap a gap just a bit on the thread before whip finishing is how i do it hope this helps

Hey razor blade worked great to cut some flies up... Guess my scissors aren't as sharp as I thought. And I think I'm gonna ease off the head cement for now especially on dries...will still give Sally's a try. Thanks for the help!

Lol funny thing about zap a gap. Tried it for the first time today and squeezed too much and completely coated my nymph that I was awful proud of in the stuff... Needless to say its a little stiff but not coming apart any time soon!

Buy an applicator bottle ($5). A lot easier to apply head cement with just a light squeeze.

A good tip I picked up on years ago to keep head cement from thinkening too quick: Save a ketchup lid. There threading is the same as most head cement bottles and instead of unscrewing the lid and letting new air in every fly, just pop the top and only a little hole is exposed. Keeps from dumping the bottle too.

I'm very, very new to tying, too. I've only tied a couple dozen flies, as well, and that's one of the main reasons why I use tying cement. I'm sure my tying isn't very good yet, so I just want to make sure my ties stay tied!!!! I picked-up some Rainy's "Dave's Flexament" at Bass Pro. I think I paid about $5 for it. Dave's Flexament STAYS CLEAR and doesn't dry hard, remaining flexible (hence the name). I went ff'ing Sunday and none of my flies came apart!!!

Hope this helps you.

A good tip I picked up on years ago to keep head cement from thinkening too quick: Save a ketchup lid. There threading is the same as most head cement bottles and instead of unscrewing the lid and letting new air in every fly, just pop the top and only a little hole is exposed. Keeps from dumping the bottle too.

Great Tip!

JH

I used to use head cement all the time. I rarely use it now. IMO if you get a GOOD whip finish you don't need it.

I have been using Spar varnish cut 50/50 with mineral spirits. About $4 for a pint and that is a lifetime supply. Just dip a bodkin needle in and touch it to the thread head. It penetrates well and dries quick. On nymphs I have started to wax the thread (tying wax, not dubbing wax) before the whip finish and so far it has worked well. I agree a double whip is probably good enough, but I'm more comfortable with a little added security.

MKern wrote:
Buy an applicator bottle ($5). A lot easier to apply head cement with just a light squeeze.

That's one of the best tips that I've ever read on this board.:pint

MKern wrote:

Taking this a step further....

If you use a Thompson bodkin like this one, the taper of the handle matches the taper of the ketchup lid perfectly. This allows you to store the bodkin in the cement, and all you have to do is grab the bodkin and apply cement.

Works just like one of those $40 Dynaking cement reservoirs, but you get to eat the ketchup first.

And Festus makes his triumphant return in 2012!

Answering the original question anew: no, not necessary, sometime worth the additional trouble.

Recycle all you can. I have harvested rusty flies from trees because the beadhead was untarnished.

I will usually repair a bad fly if possible, or will demote it to my bluegill box. Eventually or if needed in a pinch, I will dismantle a fly in order to gain the hook. I often turn dries into nymphs and maybe add a little pizzaz in the process.

I have even attempted to reverse engineer a fly from the Feathered Hook that was magic.

ryguyfi wrote:
And Festus makes his triumphant return in 2012!

Thanks Ri. Been a long road back. But I have my place in Florida, and have my place in Tioga County, and I'm free as a bird. I'm good to go. Even off the insulin and can drink a few of these :pint:

JackM wrote:

I have even attempted to reverse engineer a fly from the Feathered Hook that was magic.

Shoulda saved the fly and asked me for the recipe.:lol:

You should make the JAM this spring. I've always enjoyed your literary genius and would enjoy meeting you as I know others would too.

Back