Interesting Holding Ground

As others have said, stocked trout, especially bucket stocked tend to stay together. Because they have lived together for over a year. Spending all or at least 99% of their time looking at the tail-pipe of another trout they tend to become comfortable with tail-pipe envy. Because they very seldom are the "leader of the pack" in the sense of not seeing another tail-pipe, when they are placed in a stream in a group of 15-25 or 30, They find that their likelyhood of being in the front of the class is greater and they begin to circle the group to get a look at that tail-pipe again. This can bring their location from place to place with no particular rhyme or reason.

It is not until they are split up either through attrition or nutrition that they begin to act outside the group.

Think of it like graduation year at school...they were diploma-ed and are now having the graduation party....for how long is determined by the quality of the party and how well the school did to place the students.

Float stocking is a form of "job placement" that gets them on their feet earlier and acting like respectible members of the underwater stocked trout society.

What you have here Mute is a "McDonalds-esque" after-graduate occupation. Some will break out and some will just keep following the leader...until there are no leaders left...or until others show up.

As far as the spot that chose today...It like..."Dude...lets hang out here today...there ain't no pellets in the big pool...maybe they will fall here?" "Reicheous dude" Don't worry, tomorrow they will be somewhere else, where-ever the lead tailpipe takes them.

I like it Mo!

Haha Mo, great explanation. I just really wanted to chase them back in the deep run so they wouldnt easily get poached or eaten. But then again i didn't know if they were acting so odd in my eyes because they were stressed out still and i didnt want to push them to their death by disturbing them so harshly.

Very interesting. I like Mo's tailpipe theory, although I do think that the fish gravitate towards the most favorable conditions on the stream, with respect to temp, ph, flow, oxygen, etc. As evidence to stocked fish seeking out the most favorable conditions, look at the study the FBC did radio tracking stocked fish. Some of the stockies traveled miles to greener pastures in a very short time seeking more favorable conditions.

I have also noticed a "herd mentality”, or I guess I should say “school mentality” with freshly stocked trout. And there does seem to be a randomness to their movements and their selection of holding areas. When fishing for wild trout, many of us can study the stream in front of us, and pick out all the spots that should and do hold fish. With freshly stocked trout, they often hold in a tight school in a small area for no apparent reason (at least to me). How many times have you fished a freshly stocked stream through a great run or pool without a hit, and cast to a spot no bigger than your kitchen sink, and pull 10 stockies out of there in a row! I hate that about stockies.

Also, stockies defy explanation when it comes to flies they hit and not hit, and the presentation needed to catch them. Sometimes they will only hit a size #2 orange and purple flash-a-bug, slapped on the surface and dragged across the current, rather than a size 20 BWO parachute, perfectly tied and matched to the naturals, and perfectly dead drifted. Well, I guess that just poses a different challenge. I love wild trout fishing, but on a stocked stream, I enjoy fishing for stocked fish only after they learn all the rules and behave like they are supposed to……

afishinado wrote:
I enjoy fishing for stocked fish only after they learn all the rules and behave like they are supposed to……

Yep. Usually happens in May for me. The first good caddis hatches, as well as sulphurs can get them going.

Until then, no interest. I threw enough globugs and buggers during steelhead season.

I can't stand to fish em while they are ignoring the first good hatches of the season!

Back