Interesting catch.

FarmerDave

FarmerDave

On Sunday evening I caught a largemouth bass from my pond that had eaten a blackbird. This is no lie, and I have witnesses. The feathers were sticking out of his throat, and when I pulled a couple of them out, they were still attached. Black birds nest in the cattails, and one of the fledglings must have fallen in the water.

Here is the good part. At the time, I was using a black jitterbug and the bass were hammering it. One could say I was matching the hatch.

I was fishing for Bass/Bluegill at my favorite local lake. Standing waist-deep in weeds and casting toward the cattails. I notice hundreds of red-winged blackbirds causing much commotion. I didn't know I might have had luck casting a fledgling pattern into the thicket. I would think a black popper with large feathers protruding would be a decent pattern.

black%20popper.bmp

LD,

I never thought of the Jitterbug as such an immitation but I guess it is just the more popular of a series of lures in the 50's that came out immitating birds. One was the Heddon Crazy Crawler that even had wings that flap when retrieved. I have a couple that I bought off of a guy selling his old mans fishing stuff.

the question is; was the rod plastic or wood?

Maurice

Maurice wrote:
LD,

I never thought of the Jitterbug as such an immitation but I guess it is just the more popular of a series of lures in the 50's that came out immitating birds. One was the Heddon Crazy Crawler that even had wings that flap when retrieved. I have a couple that I bought off of a guy selling his old mans fishing stuff.

the question is; was the rod plastic or wood?

Maurice

Well, I'm not sure what the jitterbug is really supposed to imitate, but it sure was ticking off the bass on Sunday. I was joking about matching the "hatch". You gotta love those old lures though.

The rod was a very cheap plastic (graphite) ultralight. I do have a split bamboo spinning rod, but I haven't restored it yet. One of these days. I don't think I own any wooden fishing rods right now, but I may have one, or pieces of one or two. Bamboo is technically not wood, it's a grass. Ask Tim. :-D

Dave

Back