Inexpensive micrometer for line diameter

T

timmyt2

I have recently begun getting into tying leaders and want to get a basic micrometer for line diameters, any suggestions? Thanks

Ebay.

Yeah i was gonna ebay/amazon route most likely was looking for suggestions of a model or two maybe some guys already had

While there are fly fishing oriented go/not go devices for this sort of thing, you might want to look into an industrial grade mike, either modern digital or older style screw/mechanical. My Dad was a QC guy in an aluminum tubing extrusion factory and he carried a mechanical mike that was accurate down to a half mil (.0005 inch).

There might be some used mechanical mike bargains out there and if not, a basic digital mike isn't very expensive, I don't think.

Here is an example of a mechanical mike: https://www.tooled-up.com/facom-806c25-mechanical-micrometer/prod/277445/

Something like this will work for you.

I now furl my leaders but used to tie up my own knotted leaders and used a similar mic like shown above. It worked well for me.

I use micrometers a fair amount. I have both Brown & Sharp and Starrett. Micrometers are like any tool, you'll find ones you like. I prefer my Starrett 436.1 (.0001") with the ratchet stop over the B&S with the friction thimble.

Ebay is your best friend. You can buy a pair of micrometers that were ~ $250 for $40. They'll probably have initials carved into them. Calibrate them with a 1" gauge block and you're good.

Afish, thats perfect. I dont think they make it anymore though, it seems to be out of stock everywhere, same with the fishpomd version that appears to be discontinued

Harbor freight has calipers and micrometers.

I forgot an option. You can buy cheap micrometers from reloading manufacturers. RCBS and Hornady have mic's in the $35 range. They say they're .0001".

I think harbor freight is still open. They have them. 10 bucks.

Save your money, very few will be alike. Some are close and some not so close. Temp, humidy, who tending the extruder etc.

Pick a line or two or three. Time will be your challenge. The good ol test of time!

Line, the quality of it. over time your sensitive fingers will be your tool.

For instance. Do you know Maxima line makes a 1.5 lb and a 2.5 lb. Only available overseas. Some sewing threads have greater strength than tippet material of the same diameter. at 1/3 the price!

Lots out there, how much spent on advertisement will determine the general outcome.

Look up George Anderson, Yellowstone Anglers. He has done the work already. Choose careful! Remember sometimes careful is careless!

While on this subject, you would be amazed, those tippet spools that are to have 27 yards on them. Did you ever take the time and measure one. You would be surprised!

Maxima12

Thanks for the bumps there Maxi

If anyone has a Mike-rite or fishpond wheel style tippet guage they would like to sell please let me know, thats what i would really like but i cant find either one new or used

Back