indication you might be experiencing a mayfly hatch......

I don't necessarily have to wade. I have a kayak too. I can cast out of it fine.

I know the river is fairly shallow around Millersburg. I think it's fairly deep around the point.

krayfish was a hoar house for the white fly. well on the other hand there was a lot of breeding on my toons as well. I think the hatch is early this year which is weird because almost every other hatch this year was early.

live action!

I've always found it to be the third week of July or there abouts in wrightsville. Maybe i will go take a look tomoro

Don't know how many of you heard about this but a couple of weeks ago Wrightsville had the perfect storm. An electrical storm turned off the lights on the Wrightsville side of the river. There were mounds of fly's on the brand new bridge lights. Snow shovels would have been appropriate.

This article doesn't discuss that particular night, but it grew out of that incident.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/breaking/ci_26125884/mayflies-infest-wrightsville-bridge

We're just starting to see traces of them on my stretch of the North Branch. There are some smaller white flies, some larger ones, some sulfurs still around, dobson flies and I think I saw some brown Drakes.

Anyway the smallies are taking my white fly imitation. Hatch is sporadic and short lived presently.

IMG_0001_zpsc75e65ad.jpg

My only experience with this hatch is I was at one of the boat launches in late July or early August and all these flies were over the water in all stages, not one rising fish. Not even a chub.

I spin fished the hatch about 20 years ago. Didn't even know what a mayfly was. We hammered them for about 20 minutes.

Back