Inchworm Season?

With all this talk of inch worms, I decided to fish a green weenie yesterday. I was a chub magnet. The trout didn't seem too interested.

Inchworm....chub magnet.....where is this post going?

Really there's nothing wrong with fishing the inchworm drop, tie the bug on a #8 or #10 hooks and you can catch nice fish all day.
Troutbert and I have fished together many times using imitations of green inch worms.

Many years ago I was fishing the Heritage section on the LL just below the kiddie pool and I observed these little green worms suspending from threads hanging off the branches over the stream and the trout were eating them like crazy.I did n't have anything that resembled them but I did have a green fly line.So I cut some line into small lengths and impaled them on some bare hooks.I spent the rest of that day dragging my "fly" across the water with a high sticking method and caught a large number of fish.

>>There was a book on terrestrial fly patterns that came out some years ago. Does anyone know if that book included inchworms?>>

Gerald Almy, who was a regular contributor to most of the bigger outdoor mags in those days. I think it was called "Tying and Fishing Terrestrials". There was a chapter on caterpillars and inchworms and the narrative he used for that chapter took place on Clarks Creek.

I see the green inchworms around but also see a massive abundance of the tent worm/gypsy moth caterpillars. Anyone have any experience with trout eating these?

Dave, pm me. i have some info.

Don Douple considered them as close to a (I'll say, I don't remember the adjective Don used) 'magic' fly. He used cotton chenille and had a specific RIT dye he used as well.

I love fishing wild trout streams with green trudes (LOTS of lime green stone flies in some NW PA streams) and inchworms. The colors yellow, lime and black (ants, beetles, bees, crickets) ring the dinner bell for wild trout in June.

Syl

Chartreuse colored deer hair spun and trimmed into a thin cylindrical shape has been one of my favorite floating inch/oak worm imitations. I believe it's the George Harvey pattern. Makes for a great indicator fly as well.
I think the original Inch-Worms were made of cork called Corkers.

Back