In need of Wading Shoes AGAIN

The felt soles on Chotas are the stickiest that I've ever had, and they last. They also have a stacked heel, which helps me get better footholds on slippery rocks. The comfort factor equals wading safety for me, and that is paramount.

The proprietary lacing system on the STLs is nifty and quick.

My next pair is very likely going back to STL's, and it may happen soon, while the Simms are still structurally sound but getting flat tredded. The Simm's will make a nice spare pair.

I've also been disappointed with or is boots. I recently got a pair of Patagonia Ultralights, and love them. Before buying, I spoke with a guide who was wearing a pair that was over a year old, and in great shape. They are very light, super comfortable (I can't emphasize this enough), and cleats can be screwed in.

I'll throw in a couple pennies to this conversation; I'm wearing Patagonia Rock Grip wading boots with the sticky bottom and studs. They recently discontinued, and I picked up a second pair for half price (Sierra Trading Post). I've worn my current pair for three seasons and love them.

Pros - Fit perfect and allowed for room with neoprene booties. Sticky bottoms worked better than others for me. Lightweight.

Cons - This year, I have to drill the studs in other locations because they're falling out (probably not the best "con" since they're three years old and heavily used...)

As with all wading shoes, when I first get them, I remove the laces and installed the Chota QuickLace replacements on them. It's less than $10 and makes life so much easier!

On another note, I installed the Patagonia replacement bars on a set of Simms and have really liked them (the bars, not the Simms). I have yet to use the newer system from Patagonia (Foot Tractor), but if anyone has, let me know how you like it. That price point is getting a little high, considering my studs now are sheet metal screws!

TC

The Simms Guide Boot gets another vote from me. Mine have almost exclusively seen nasty conditions in Rocky Mountain streams out west for a couple of years now and continue to hold up just fine.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Simms' warranty is lifetime on workmanship and material. What they deem normal wear, or abuse, is not covered.

I have the Simms Freestone boots now, and though I've ground down a set of carbide studs in the past month, the boots show little signs of wear in the 6 months I've used them. That said, I'll be buying Vapor boots soon just because I want a pair.

If you do decide to get Simms boots, take your waders along to the store and try on the boots with your waders due to sizing. Simms says to order a size larger than your normal shoe size. I wear size 12 cowboy boots and Simms' size 13 wading boots fit well.

At the risk of a high-jack here... I just got a pair of Chota STL's bc my Simms Freestones soles are coming off after 4 years of what I would call normal use. Do you think the sole coming off is worth looking into the warranty for? They still look damn good for the all the use they have had.

Use in years is subject to the user. Personally, for me, if I get 4 years of my kind of use out of mine I'd just buy new ones.

That said, if you feel it's an issue, then it's worth a call. 1-888-585-3570

2nd full day of fishing with the Wally World work boots for wader boots. Walked up the LJ path to the top of the gorge and fished my way down most of the day. So far these boots are working out great.

Go Simms or Go Home. Seriously...the guide boots from Simms are beyond durable. Worth every penny. I have three years on mine and they look new other than the water washed color to the leather. Soles are still good too.

Have heard 50/50 on the Choatas and Patagonias.

I've had the same orvis brogues since 2005 and am just in need of a new pair, since I sell the lower end korkers going with these. my son and a friend both swear by them.

Ive also owned 2 pairs of the orvis brogues and was very happy with them. I now have a pair of Simms. Does Orvis even make brogues anymore?

To all with the Chota seams falling apart - mine did the same thing - take them to the local shoe repair - my guy re-stitched it for about $10 and they have been good ever since (about 3 yrs now).

Also - have had 3 pair of simms guide boot over the last 15 yrs - none have ever fallen apart - just wore out the felt on 2 pair and am now on a rubber sole pair - so far they are great.

Back