In need of some help!

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

I am very tentatively trying my hand at tying. I tied up some basic nymphs the other night just to get the procedures down, and it was not a complete disaster. I'll take that as encouragement.

I have a good amount of materials that were gifted to me over the years from folks that are not local and/or not easily accessible to ask questions. I would be endlessly grateful to anyone here who would help with (1) letting me know what I have, and (2) suggesting common uses for the item. (I have a few spools of thread, a box of assorted dubbing, and some nymph and dry hooks. I would really like to know flies I could tie with what is in front of me before I run out to buy more materials for flies I particularly want in my box).

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Exhibit A
CkpKd8HmGz_7MmRI85GHWISLY_Ri3P9XQGQqwv1T-cNcQRdC_PvzcrC7cNcHhb_HcRsFZomIjoU5yaNPju6ft5dPedM4i65nGnsD9KEFRZy5rX4HrBdr0aeQ8g4aPYisr6Y2zRIx9w=w2400
[/url][/img]

Exhibit B
-xyQGWepiEAbt8lD8BdHXKnbWHdV7AMd_bGujNSoTHFt3n_lFXBinjqnyk99NnaTp3wa--stTnptKgJs6tthLCWzk2rlxVs-9MoqsPvfk2ivPW-CfjFuEoUL6Ha4a7KixFB7z5ttAw=w2400
[/url][/img]

Exhibit C
cOAB3CvpG5KFzmTTxPPVNvsWOG2jLiEruGTDCJnaaSUBZpiLiitQl6CxhE-L-IpzQLFONzn8UkWU-5xTHsbbR5DoNZLPbH3MKgpYlJ8MslBWSdR7M7N5-YfIQ_jMCVTVckFBOWwhrw=w2400
[/url][/img]

Exhibit D
fbxHYLS9TTeagACjH3pVakWpdlQN1250eZrrVrop-22mRRCUrW4OtjLG2l0IyRl3LHdejzMyWvaMS7rwjPNusavUuYUaziQxBtmAP_dS1G4zYEwaL0F2hndeypXcSCmvJO0yCRgyBg=w2400
[/url][/img]

Exhibit E
D2ggHqbcjNxqtdIMmePI69d09AVUsQlWXh-dAhmn9Vel9Kd9vMduXG1KchJk15-3a3J55MNlBeSoiREH_Q6GtKFFCXoE85Cca6SNa_PZxHP0fJfuFhJEddwwoXjNdoTN1LOChB26ZQ=w2400
[/url][/img]

Exhibit F
-LrY4WLB8LNnTpXDXpmmYodeNFY9W2d5bv-VlU4w4IW_hYcovqHIkBcDbS2xDNo-S9H098Plg8-w5lI1a0pa16XxIJk68kLc37dElAD3o7zH3EhMAPiiwdsloakW2XRAK2NMOoCBRQ=w2400
[/url][/img]
bucktail? Uses?

Exhibit G
jecptamm1EC5jM83lXOllELnTFuiiXTjEN-VxbGyJHk1utN-A3zhQ5KZZMUZhjYsoWox8KFFTxZ7WTH_rGnUwB243lvBP1sj2Z_238TwQXDoEApONXTX5Y0dsvY4jN7knrs4Ebotrw=w2400
[/url][/img]

Exhibit H
-bs-GlAGemkrBUEopxMt9r-ppHNrFhMIlX1_YwlAokyJTyHpXtrTVRygivXigWcAg4CyWpcyg2F1Yo888axopquqJ19DfVb-ZKW77USjH4DSaQA8QHKBg5ssAd9F3wbISQPaBzY95Q=w2400
[/url][/img]

I have a good number of these necks in different colors.

Welcome to the world of fly tying. I would start off by suggesting using the strung peacock herl in your first photo and the assorted colors of hen necks in your last photo to tie up some great soft hackle peacock wet flies. It’s that time of year! The water is starting to warm up a bit, the bugs are starting to move and the trout will start looking up in the water column. Soft hackle wet flies are great fish catching patterns and there is something special about peacock herl bodies that just seem to draw the attention of the fish. Good luck and have fun with it.

You've got great starter materials. The first flies I ever tied was a hook with a bead and a single clump of bucktail lashed to it. Excellent basic streamer that will catch anything. You've got peacock herl, bucktail, pheasant tail, hen saddle hackle, goose biots , and marabou. Just tying marabou to a hook will catch fish..just tying bucktail to a hook will catch fish.. just wrapping a hook with a peacock herl will catch fish. Add some biots sticking out the rear and wrap the hook with herl, that will catch fish..do biots out the back, herl body, then add a soft hackle hen feather just behind the eye of the hook, that will catch fish.

My suggestion is get some 4xl hooks in size 8 or so, some chenille, cheap strung saddle, and that marabou. Learn to tie a wooly bugger..

You might consider purchasing a beginners book. They will answer your questions about materials and methods and here's an outline on two notable books that have good resale value:

Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying By Charlie Craven - 2008
Hardcover # of pages: 280
Amazon Price - $45.00:
# of fly patterns including variations: 89

The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying
By Ted Leeson and Jim Schollneyer
Hardcover Spiral # of pages: 189
Amazon Price - $45.00 - $60.00
# of fly patterns including variations: 111

Assuming I'm viewing these right:

Exhibit A: Strung peacock herl. Use it for bodies in wet flies like a lead wing coachman, brown hackle, partridge and herl, starling and herl, nymphs like the zug bug and prince nymphs, and the thorax on a number of nymphs like an American style pheasant tail and copper john.

Exhibit B: looks like assorted quills and mostly junk. Can be used for wings on wet flies.

Exhibit C: Pheasant tails. Use as the tail, body and wing case and legs of pheasant tail nymphs, the body of pheasant tail soft hackles, tails, wing cases an/or legs of any number of nymphs.

Exhibit D: Marabou. Use as the tail of woolly buggers and the wings of various streamers. (I'm really fond of substituting it for hackle wings on flies like a black ghost.)

Exhibit E: Assorted feathers most of which look like suitable tailing material.

Exhibit F: Bucktail. Use as the wing of bucktail "streamers." (Scare quotes because some people insist a fly needs a feather wing to be called a streamer.) Can also be used as the wings on hair winged dry flies like a royal wulff.

Exhibit G: Looks like biots. I can't tell whether they're goose or turkey. Use the former for tails on prince nymphs like the price nymph and copper john, wings on the prince, antennae on stone fly nymphs. If turkey, (larger) wrap around the hook for bodies on any number of flies.

Exhibit H: India necks. If you can find the right size feather, use as hackle on dry flies. A good source of tails for dries as well. The one in the middle seems to be a saddle, not a neck. Use as the wings of streamers, or as hackle on a wet fly.

redietz wrote:

Exhibit A: Strung peacock herl. Use it for bodies in wet flies like a lead wing coachman, brown hackle, partridge and herl, starling and herl, nymphs like the zug bug and prince nymphs, and the thorax on a number of nymphs like an American style pheasant tail and copper john.

Exhibit B: looks like assorted quills and mostly junk. Can be used for wings on wet flies.

Exhibit C: Pheasant tails. Use as the tail, body and wing case and legs of pheasant tail nymphs, the body of pheasant tail soft hackles, tails, wing cases an/or legs of any number of nymphs.

Exhibit D: Marabou. Use as the tail of woolly buggers and the wings of various streamers. (I'm really fond of substituting it for hackle wings on flies like a black ghost.)

Exhibit F: Bucktail. Use as the wing of bucktail "streamers." (Scare quotes because some people insist a fly needs a feather wing to be called a streamer.) Can also be used as the wings on hair winged dry flies like a royal wulff.

Exhibit G: Looks like biots. I can't tell whether they're goose or turkey. Use the former for tails on prince nymphs like the price nymph and copper john, wings on the prince, antennae on stone fly nymphs. If turkey, (larger) wrap around the hook for bodies on any number of flies.

Exhibit H: India necks. If you can find the right size feather, use as hackle on dry flies. A good source of tails for dries as well. The one in the middle seems to be a saddle, not a neck. Use as the wings of streamers, or as hackle on a wet fly.

Wow. Thank you. More than I could expect.

For H, there are various... um... cuts in the bag. I don't really know the difference between saddle/neck/other options, but I will continue to research. Thanks again for setting me in the right direction.

yep, looks to me a 1000, flies. Gave lessons, lots, Hooks boy, hooks, long, slim. thin and fat. You got it. Let me ask! What you gonna do with it, if you do not approach it at the "Right Angle".

There we go again, the angle! Always in this world for the angle,
many found it, soaking up the jello! Many will not!

I will be truthful to you. Junk! O K, i have worked with it all my life and found,, i caught 1000's. This system has evolved to a system of wanton waste! They, wanton you to waste!

Take that one home! Maxima12

I didn't see it mentioned, but I use the peacock herl for thoraxes on a lot of my soft hackles. One trick I've picked up when making the thoraxes using peacock herl is to make a loop with the tying thread. Loop is easy to make. Just form the loop, make a couple of wraps at the base, tie in a couple of strands peacock herl at the base of the loop. Insert the peacock herl in the loop and twist the two together with a hackle plier. Peacock herl can be brittle and this adds strength to it.
Here's a basic soft hackle pheasant tail nymph. No wing case, no legs.

Attachments

• PC050329.JPG
    PC050329.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 2
hooker-of-men wrote:
nsfL3FarKXdbIfg_CgeqjqRLvFbhMzBN9j5Msn87R85iHjLozzFyTHUTCB0-xqUr96iEOxgWzXljY-DB0_bV1lOex0URgr3QQfT0hhpM1umdshMapwyRdIlRPaaS3vPvA9r8ntI00g=w2400
[/url][/img]

I feel like I'm making some progress. Thanks again to all who provided the helpful information!

That will catch fish.

I'd make the tails a little shorter, and less stout, just for better proportions.

Just a few fibers from the chicken necks makes a good tail.

redietz wrote:

In Dick Talleur's book "Trout Flies for the 21st Century" he has a simple streamer (can't remember the name) which is simply two India hen feathers tied in as tails and a body of wrapped India hen feathers. Just keep tying and wrapping as many hen feathers as needed to complete the body. You can add beadheads, coneheads or wire to weight. Or fish unweighted.

This has been one of my most effective streamer patterns since I found it.

I'd also recommend this book as a great source of simpler ties. Probably my number one book. I was fortunate to talk to Dick at the NJ fly show a few years before he died. Nice guy.

tabasco_joe wrote:

In Dick Talleur's book "Trout Flies for the 21st Century" he has a simple streamer (can't remember the name) which is simply two India hen feathers tied in as tails and a body of wrapped India hen feathers.

Sim’s Seducer

Hook: Short to regular-length streamer hook, your choice of sizes.
Thread: Black 8/0 (70 denier).
Head (optional): A cone or beadhead.
Tail: Two or four coq de Leon hen cape feathers.
Body: Coq de Leon hen feathers, folded and tied in by the tips.

Attachments

• SS7.jpg
    SS7.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
RCFetter wrote:
tabasco_joe wrote:

In Dick Talleur's book "Trout Flies for the 21st Century" he has a simple streamer (can't remember the name) which is simply two India hen feathers tied in as tails and a body of wrapped India hen feathers.

Sim’s Seducer

Hook: Short to regular-length streamer hook, your choice of sizes.
Thread: Black 8/0 (70 denier).
Head (optional): A cone or beadhead.
Tail: Two or four coq de Leon hen cape feathers.
Body: Coq de Leon hen feathers, folded and tied in by the tips.

For some reason my fly photo album has it listed as Savage Seducer. Haven't had a chance to check the book. ANyway here is my tie unweighted using India hen feathers.

Attachments

• seducer_smallfile.jpg
    seducer_smallfile.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 3
Keep the herl, the marabou, and the bucktail. Throw the rest in a junk drawer.

PennKev wrote:

Or send it to me. I can use everything there. I can't even imagine tying without pheasant tail.

redietz wrote:
PennKev wrote:

Or send it to me. I can use everything there. I can't even imagine tying without pheasant tail.

You can have it. I like pheasant tail, but would not choose those ones.

With the exception of the three item I listed, this collection of "materials" is pretty ratty and not really a good start for a serious attempt at learning to tie.

There is no better way to end up frustrated and owning a bunch of ugly random flies than to try to learn how to tie with the wrong materials, and junky materials.

PennKev wrote:
redietz wrote:
PennKev wrote:

You can have it. I like pheasant tail, but would not choose those ones.

With the exception of the three item I listed, this collection of "materials" is pretty ratty and not really a good start for a serious attempt at learning to tie.

There is no better way to end up frustrated and owning a bunch of ugly random flies than to try to learn how to tie with the wrong materials, and junky materials.

True ^

And I'll add crappy tools and vise to this.

I learned tying with a junky vise that didn't hold a hook firmly as well as crappy tools and materials. My bobbin holder cut thread and I never was able to tie on materials with the proper tension without cutting my thread. Therefore the materials on my flies would always spin on the hook. So I had to tie with ridiculously heavy thread and they ended looking like Frankenstein flies. In addition, my dries ended up being wets because I never tied with good dry fly hackle. I was only a kid, so it didn't matter much, but it took me a while to learn what the "secret" was to tying decent flies.

So good advise to buy some decent tools, materials and hooks to get started. Tie some simple flies to start and buy only the materials needed to tie those flies. Soon you will accumulate a decent inventory of useful material to tie other patterns. And the tools should last you for decades and thousands of quality flies.

Good luck.

Yeeaaaahhh. Again, thanks to all for the very useful pointers, but let's slow this down before the next cowboy demands I raze my house in order to rebuild it around the perfect fly tying command center.

As I mentioned, I'm having fun with what's in front of me and seeing if I want to pursue this further. I'm not a big buyer of things, and I'm not headed out shopping for anything too soon.

Back