In Memory of Paul_G

Maurice, I've been known to pound the crap out of the water hoping for a strike, but Paul did it with such finesse. His casting was sublime.

peace-tony c.

My first trip to Spring, Paul pointed a few yards downstream and said "That's my favorite spot. You should go there." He then sat down on the bank and watched me catch my first Spring Creek trout. That's sums up his nature pretty well to me. I also remember the conversation about coffee that led him to say "I'll bring the pot". "Whoa Paul, didn't know it was that kinda party!" Was my response. I already missed him due to not seeing him in recent years, and I'll probably always regret never fishing Clark's with him, even though it was a stream we both considered our home stream. RIP, and I'm proud to have called you my friend.

Boyer

I took the time to attend Pauls Service yesterday. You never really know someone until you see their funeral service. The short piece you fill in someones life is just a piece to their puzzle. And Paul's box was full of pieces. For instance, he was a starting lineman on a Harris High School team that went undefeated. That explains his love for football I guess. He was a restaurant owner of Paul's Cafe in H-burg. According to his son, he was a hard love type who made him walk to school in bad weather. Now in life his son appreciated that. Not so much then, LOL. Sally put together (well probably Paul jr.) a beautiful video reel that cycled in the off room of the parlor. It was a nice tribute to a nice man.

Pardaic and Hadley made the trip down from Altoona to see him off. TimB also was in attendance. It was a tough day, one of those that hits hard but wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

For his eternal trip, I took a few of his favorite flys, (Orange Ant, Crowe Beetle, Elk Hair Caddis, Quill Gordon) put them on a small foam board and tucked them in his breast pocket of the dark olive corduroy sport coat he was wearing, the exact same color as the corduroy sport coat I was wearing. When I saw Sally I remarked how we had on the same coat...she asked if I had taken his coat and assured me she was going to check.

Afterward, Padraic invited me to join Hadley and He for lunch, when they asked where, I said well, The Pastor said recently Paul remarked he got his best steak at Carrabbas, So with the help of Google, Off we went. I enjoyed a nice lunch with old friends after sending off a mutual friend. One of those days to remember. BTW, I got the steak. We talked alot about Paul and his influence on this site. While never outspoken, it occurred to us that he was always at the center of all the meetings on stream or organized gatherings.

Whether it was at the Jamboree coffee ring, the evening fire ring or a parking lot along a trout stream, Paul was there to assure the meeting was enjoyable. We were trying to recount the number of people we met on stream while fishing with Paul, He would always invite others and share our locations to allow for a meet up.

Padraic posted this on my Facebook Page soon after his passing.

"maybe all I know about Paul is that he was a fine fisherman." "You know more than that," my father said, "he was beautiful." And that was the last time we spoke of my brother's death.

Paul was more than just a fishin' buddy to me. I was privileged to know him.

I couldn't agree more.

Peace out, Paul.

Attachments

• PadHadleyMe.jpg
    PadHadleyMe.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2
Over the past few days, friends of our have been trading fishing stories about Paul. How patiently he waded. How effortless his cast.

He was self taught and intuitive. I was his opposite; I took classes, read books, hired guides. I did everything I could to study the disciplines of fishing just to match what Paul did inantely.

But when I think of the biggest fish or the most fish, or even where we went. I remember all the times I’d find Paul on the stream chatting with another fisherman. Their conversation would be so animated and friendly, I’d assume they’d been friends from long back and ask to be introduced. “Oh! I never did ask your name!” Paul would say. And that was Paul, making a new friend.

I don’t know how he did it, but everyone who ever met Paul loved him. His happiest days on the stream were when the people he was with were doing well.

It is true that Paul taught me a great deal about fishing. How to wade a stream, read water and many other fishing skills. Of all the things he taught me, though, the thing I treasure most is how to be a better friend.

I never met Paul but it is heartwarming to read all of the fine things that are being said. May we all have such kind words said about us when our final day arrives. Pad - it's good to see you on the site, I hope your doing well.

I was at his viewing for a bit. Sorry i didnt get to see you guys.
Theres not much to add to whats been said about "The good brother Paul" as I often called him. Our fiendship was automatically helped by his love for dogs and I always seemed to have an at ease feeling around him. Him and Sally had me at their camper for a weekend and he would invite me over for Christmas knowing my family was far away.
Once upon a time, when his health was starting to deteriorate, he called upon me to cover for him and help some newbie from England named Atlantisboy out on the water. I truly was not looking forward to it but found the gumption to do it being atleast I would be fishing. His name was Jules and we quickly went from fast friends to very good friends. The best one I had gained in quite some time. The man flies me down to Tennessee every year, puts me up in a magnificent home, and takes me fishing those tailwaters which are remarkably underrated. We talked many times of gettin Paul down there on a drift boat.
I remember at the veiwing looking at him and just saying "Thank you" over and over.
Hope alls been well here, this place helped me for a long time and also introduced me to "The good brother Paul".

This is an unusual thread, in that there is no disagreement. Very rare indeed. Thanks for the contributions of those that attended IRL ceremonies. Dan, nice to hear from you.

I may have met Sally, but I am not sure, and one of Paul's daughters posted under the pseudonym "Paul's daughter" a few times.

Knowing that I'll not see him again is heartbreaking, but missing him at coffee during our Jamboree will be worse.

Met him a few times and talked to him online many, many times was a great fisherman and even better person. You will be missed by many.

I only got to fish with Paula couple of times, once at the first Jam and once fished together down in SC PA. My life is richer to have known him.
RIP Paul.
Early on, Paul was a member of the old message board from just about the beginning, that's where I met him.

Hey how about having the Jam around SC PA in honor of our friend?

I have been a board member/lurker since 2005 or 2006. I never had the chance to attend a jam because I moved out of state long ago so I never met Paul but he always had some good knowledge to contribute to the board. RIP Paul

Chaz wrote:
Hey how about having the Jam around SC PA in honor of our friend?

Chaz, One of the reasons we always settled on Coburn/Penns was because Paul had a place there. And he made the coffee...

So that is just as fitting as any other place in the state.

Besides, we are already booked.

What a good guy. Sympathy to the family. Coffee at the camper.

Back