Improving Wild Trout Angling in PA

There are, lots of them.

Stop looking at fish data and start looking into total dissolved solids, DO levels, nitrate, phosphorus etc etc.

Most stream improvement projects focus on this first and fish habitat second.
Lititz run has tons of data showing that the projects improved the watershed.

Does not mean that they don't exist, but I am not aware of any. There have been some underway for the past few years, but in my case I chose to examine the efficacy of a lake habitat improvement project. That appears in a biologist web report.

sal says-"There are, lots of them."

Mike says- none that he is aware of

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

foxtrapper says-"Why are we investing millions in stream enhancement projects when we do not have any scientific data proving that they work?"

My response largely had to do with instream work.

Right and mine had to do with projects focused of reducing pollution, legacy sediment etc.

There are plenty of studies showing projects remove those.

I'm the end I think Foxtrapper is thinking about this backwards.

Water conservation groups, real ones, are mainly focused on repair of watersheds not enhancement of fish populations. Though some may have that focus.
They are not fishing clubs.

http://www.ansp.org/research/environmental-research/projects/restoration/

sal- Riparian buffers are a different thing than digging out stream beds and placing barriers and devices in the creek. Apparently much more study is needed if we want to do things right. Seems from what article says these projects should be monitored to see IF they are effective and carefully studied over time. Sounds from what I read that many of the projects do very little in the big picture. If you are going to tinker around you might as well get as much info as possible instead of wasting time and money.

I mentioned several times before-I will gladly buy and plant tress but turning a stream into a golf course is another matter

from the article--

"Our analysis of the differences between the ecological condition of restored sites and their paired reference reaches showed that the restored sites consistently scored lower in riparian habitat quality as well as the biotic integrity of both periphyton (i.e., attached algae) and benthic macroinvertebrate assemblages. These results clearly demonstrate that at the present time these stream reaches continue to exhibit the types of impaired conditions that originally made them candidates for restoration."

I know many well intentioned people feel a need to do something....

Yes understand

My point is those types of projects far out weigh fish habitat but are paired together.
I see no problem with that.

WV has great and interesting stuff on the large woody debris projects that got rolling.
Good stuff

Back