Improving Wild Trout Angling in PA

"By the way I've heard the project over at Big Springs may not be such a success as I had hoped. Apparently a lot less big fish these days. I know last time I was over there were VERY FEW big fish to be seen in the ditch and a few of the larger ones I saw/spooked down below didn't look all that healthy."

Please provide data supporting this statement, not just your personal opinion. Perhaps you electro-shocked the stream. I would be interested in the results.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Almost all the streams in my area have been dewatered over the years. Not much left but a trickle in some. Seems the fish comm and gov't agencies would rather run around spending grant money on questionable "improvement" projects than actually addressing REAL issues facing our waterways.

By the way I've heard the project over at Big Springs may not be such a success as I had hoped. Apparently a lot less big fish these days. I know last time I was over there were VERY FEW big fish to be seen in the ditch and a few of the larger ones I saw/spooked down below didn't look all that healthy.

I don't think anyone is really being held accountable for any of these projects. DO THEY REALLY WORK? Results? Studies? Any real evidence?

While I agree that there should be an evaluation component of stream improvement (was there value gained for the dollars invested), how exactly do you propose going about addressing "REAL" issues? Should we restore old growth forest that was cut hundreds of years ago and is now prime farm land (which becomes prime development land)? Move out of Lancaster County and wait a couple hundred years to move back? Stop eating, so the agricultural lands can revert to forest? We've fundamentally altered the landscape here in Lancaster County and you can grumble all you want from your ivory tower about that, and about stream deimprovements, but sometimes, an organization has to take a pragmatic approach and do something with what they've got, which in the case of Lancaster County is a lot of impaired streams.

You cited Donegal as a stream where improvements were done and money spent, but now stocking has resumed, because the wild fish have decreased. What is your evidence (published and peer reviewed, preferably), that the improvements were the reason the wild fish declined? Maybe those improvements were just enough to let the wild fish to get a foot hold. Maybe the ebb and flow of wild fish has more to do with water levels and the drawdown of the aquifer from all the development and the fluctuation in sediment is due to the timing and nature of the weather in a given season and how the weather might impact runoff on freshly tilled fields? And how many heavy rain events we get that either wash sediment into a stream, or flush it out of the stream? And as far as I know, they never stopped stocking Donegal. The PFBC eliminated a fall stocking in the FFO area and they had a failed experiment with fingerling stocking, but DFCA continued to stocking outside the FFO area during that time. The stream had reached Class A biomass in one shocking but the population crashed by the next shocking, but the reasons for that crash are not known (other than fish populations fluctuate).

Not real evidence, per se, but I find wild fish in streams around the state that have what I believe are really old stream improvements, in that as far as I know, those streams have not been stocked in my lifetime. Somewhere, sometime, some apparently backward thinking individual or organization took some time to try to do something to the stream. I'd never try to advance that the reason wild trout are in those streams is because of that work, but maybe one of the variables that helped trout survive in those streams is the little bit of extra cover they created, or the marginal increase in habitat they afforded.

Here's an idea. Maybe you should apply for a grant to study the stream improvement grants. Publish your results, and like all good scientific literature, we'll critique, I mean peer review your study.

Recent shocking data showed a reduction in big fish, but I have not seen the actual date personally. Now, the caveat... The work done there was preferentially for brook trout (things like gravel size, pool area, etc). There are parties whom do not value large wild rainbow trout apparently.

Interesting SteveG. Would like to actually see that data. Should be made public.

This is a section from a scholarly paper on the topic of evaluating stream improvement projects. -

Did Use Of In-Stream Structures Improve Streams? A Reanalysis Of Historical Data
Authors
Douglas M. Thompson

"Despite a large investment in the construction of in-stream structures over four decades, very few studies were undertaken to evaluate the impacts of the structures on the channel and its aquatic populations. The studies that were undertaken to evaluate the impact of the structures were often flawed. The use of habitat structures became an “accepted practice,” however, and early evaluation studies were used as proof that the structures were beneficial to aquatic organisms. A review of the literature reveals that, despite published claims to the contrary, little evidence of the successful use of in-stream structures to improve fish populations exists. A total of 79 publications were checked, and 215 statistical analyses were performed. Only seven analyses provide evidence for a benefit of structures on fish populations, and five of these analyses are suspect because data were misclassified by the original authors. Many of the changes in population measures reported in early publications appear to result from changes in fishing pressure that often accompanied channel modifications. Modern evaluations of channel-restoration projects must consider the influence of fishing pressure to ensure that efforts to improve fish habitat achieve the benefits intended. My statistical results show that the traditional use of in-stream structures for channel restoration design does not ensure demonstrable benefits for fish communities, and their ability to increase fish populations should not be presumed."

From another study on stream improvement- 4 streams were studied. Improved areas were compared with unimproved areas.

Evaluation of Stream
Improvement Practices in
Southeastam Trout Streams
0. Eugene Maughan
Oklahoma Cooperative Fisheries Research Unit
Oklahoma State University

"No statistically significant differences were found in fish biomass, benthic macroinvertebrate numbers, or benthic taxa among improved areas and reference sections of the four streams."

salmonid wrote-"While I agree that there should be an evaluation component of stream improvement (was there value gained for the dollars invested),"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I'm glad we agree on this. It would seem to be an important part of process. I can't find anything from any PA agencies that go back and evaluate.

outsider- I built lot's of stream improvement devices 30 yrs ago while working for federal gov't ( dept pf interior). Part of why I became discouraged was because I went back and visited those sites over the years and saw them completely dilapidated.
I've been involved in a few things over the years that I now believe help. Mainly planting of trees.

I'm not surprised by that Fox. All shocking does is provide a snapshot at that exact time, under those exact conditions. You can have a spot void of any fish, but a couple hours later due to the changing angle of the Sun, fish can be found there.

I'm also of the agreement that trees and riparian buffers seem to make the biggest impact, on a long-term scale. But, "hardscaping" does provide some instant gratification via scouring etc.

SteveG wrote:
I'm not surprised by that Fox. All shocking does is provide a snapshot at that exact time, under those exact conditions. You can have a spot void of any fish, but a couple hours later due to the changing angle of the Sun, fish can be found there.

AS DOES ANY SINGLE SAMPLING. THAT'S WHY YOU DO MULTIPLE AND USE HISTORICAL DATA IF YOU ARE TRYING TO CREATE A CONCLUSION. IF YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO SAY, " HEY WE SAMPLED CREEK "X" AND HERE IS WHAT WE FOUND... THE TIMES THAT THERE AR FISH PRESENT AND NOT PRESENT COULD BE IMPORTANT DEPENDING ON WHY YOU ARE SAMPLING IN THE FIRST PLACE. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. ITS NOT LIKE THEY ARE DONE FOR THE PURPOSE OF SPOT BURNING.

PFBC does not have the resources to sample every stream in PA on a regular basis not even every class A ona regular basis, so unless a stream has been the focus of a project for whatever reason there most likely is 5+ years in between sample dates. If you want to look at a stream system that has responded well to a dam removal and habitat work. Look at lower fishing creek and cedar run in clinton county. Now there have been many agricultural best management improvements in this time, but samples before the dam removal and the majority of the habitat improvement work and after show very large increases in biomass.

That's only the most recent data that's public...

I also find it pretty funny that the brook trout pic in that report appears to be a hatchery fish.

Because it's a misrepresentation of what that stream produces.

Steve G sez-

"That's only the most recent data that's public..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying there is more recent data that does not paint a glowing picture of the Big Spring improvement results?

I would like to see the REAL most recent data.

Could easily be a wild ST in the report photo, especially at Big Spring. It is an older fish and has probably been through the wear and tear (on the fins) during redd construction, spawning, and during the expression of other agonistic behaviors a few times in its life. This is what happens to some ST and it is more common in older fish.

Mike- Can you point me in the direction of any long term, before/after stream surveys on any enhanced/improved trout streams? I have seen some from other states but none from PA.

At this point after many decades of the stream improvements i would think there would be some good supporting data showing SPECIFICALLY that these stream improvement projects are doing what they are supposed to do.

Back