I'm fishing less because I'm old fat and useless, but perhaps something to think about?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

Read the article and draw your own conclusions. I just want to provoke some thought.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

When I saw the subject line, I thought.. "Holy sh!t, I must have sleep posted about my life" 🤣

Link preview opens with 'even if we stabilize the climate '.... what?!? Us stabilizing the climate is as likely as you stopping the wind. We can lessen our impact but the climate is going to do what the climate wants to do. Tighten your chinstrap!

Sounds like the author is finally realizing his mortality and that his angling time is drawing to a close. I've been in that mindset since turning 50

I’m fishing less but not because of climate change. Fishing partners dying, becoming less mobile, disabled and moving to Florida are a bigger factor. Striper and shad fishing on the Delaware has been great the last five years and not too bad before that. True that it’s been better but it’s also been worse. Every year brings something different it always has and always will. i don’t identify with any one fish. I can catch stripers, catfish, pickerel, bass, carp, stripers, flounder, heck even trout or whatever and be just as happy to have caught it. Perhaps not sea robins but everything else thrills me to catch.

If anything I fish more now that my kids are self sustaining adults. If I eventually have to pivot to warm water species rather than trout, I won't like it but I'll do it. In our greater geographic area I still see rampant development as more of a threat than climate. Every impervious surface adds to erosion, every new house and new well further drains our aquifers, reduces ground water recharge and lowers our average stream levels.

In saltwater fisheries there has already been shifts of species northward, and that is likely to continue.

The Chesapeake Bay will still have fish, but maybe DIFFERENT fish.

I'm fishing less because I had my hip replaced last winter and my knee has been giving me pain at times since June.

The hip is great but I'm seeing my surgeon in a few weeks about the knee. When I'm fixed I will be fishing with reckless abandon and NO guilt...

I also sleep well....

The example the guy is talking about fishing is the gunpowder.....a tailwater where the water stays pretty freaking cold in the summer. SMDH do better.

Dear Board,

Read the article and draw your own conclusions. I just want to provoke some thought.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

What constitutes: old, fat, and useless? Please elaborate! Lol

It won't matter in a couple decades because there will be almost no access for the peasants. The public areas that do exist at that time will be so crowded that they will look the Ganges when the locals come to bathe or wash clothes.

Actually, that's probably as much of an exaggeration as the article, which I chose not to read.

Really climate change! Thanks @TimMurphy My conclusions are this is only gonna provoke a political battle. I'll give it about four more posts before it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

I'm getting stretched a little thin on the moderating efforts of the last week. How about an early Christmas present?

In saltwater fisheries there has already been shifts of species northward, and that is likely to continue.

Yep, sheepshead, triggerfish, croakers, occasional Cobia, and a longer time period when spot are present at the Nj shore. I think sheepshead in abundance are a relatively recent addition, but I could be wrong about that. Cobra in MD and occasional redfish in the Chesapeake. More frequent earlier starts by a week to substantial portion of the striper spawning in the Delaware in Pa. When you pay attention to the fish, you know the climate is warming regardless of your belief of the cause.

Dear Tim,

Best part about that article was the name of his buddy's boat.

I get what he's saying but change is always upon us. We're just living long enough these days to actually realize it first hand.

Climate change is a fact. What's causing it... is it just cyclical, or is 100 years of industrial pollution having a predictable effect?, is the big controversy. I'm just a guy in the basement hoping Carter Hart outlasts Cindy Crosby for the second time in three days. Regardless, whether we need to stop dumping crap into the air we breath or whether we should just plan vacations a month earlier or later due to new conditions, it's not the same as it was 30 years ago. Or maybe I'm just old and fat everything just takes more effort.

Bring on the redfish.

Back