I'm confused

Hard to say for sure as so many factors would come into play. I know for me personally I catch more and bigger fish... it’s not even close. I should add that I’m new to euro nymphing but have been fishing my whole life so I think I have picked it up quickly.

1hook wrote:
Hard to say for sure as so many factors would come into play. I know for me personally I catch more and bigger fish... it’s not even close. I should add that I’m new to euro nymphing but have been fishing my whole life so I think I have picked it up quickly.

Relying on an indicator for all your nymph fishing will limit your catch.
Learning to nymph proficiently without an indicator will result in catching more fish under the right conditions.

afishinado wrote;

Relying on an indicator for all your nymph fishing will limit your catch.

I agree 100% with this comment. I have watched many guys using indicators. Some of them were novices but others had game but they always seem to be mending far more than I have ever felt the need to when nymphing without an indicator. I think when the indicator is floating it is subjest to far more current than the fly is. I've always read that the current speed at the bottom of a stream or river is very low. Far lower, or slower, than the surface speed. So while the fly might be getting a very nice drift the effect of the current speed is affecting the bobber and hastening it's journey down river so you have to mend upstream to slow the progress of the bobber.

Learn to fish without a bobber and you will mend less and catch at least as many trout as you do with a bobber. The only time I would recommend a bobber is if there are just so many rocks, snags, and debris on the stream bottom that you want to suspend the fly somewhat to minimize getting hung up.

Back