I'm confused

L

Lkyboots

I been at this since 1962 and still fly fishing about the same as I alway did. I'm a little confused about what your calling Euro nymphing and Euro leaders? I'm not sure I get why a 10 foot pole is better than a 9 foot pole for Trout. I can see it might be better for catching large fish on open water but not using 4 or 6 weight rods. I also read about extremely long leaders, how does a really long leader help in catching fish?

The tackle used for Euro styles of nymphing are tailored to the technique in the same way spey tackle is specific to that style of fishing. Explaining why long rods and specialized leaders are used for Euro techniques borders on explaining Euro nymphing in it's entirety. I would suggest picking up a copy of Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel or Tactical Fly Fishing by Devin Olsen. These books will explain everything in detail and avoid conflicting theory and suggestions that will inevitably arise if a bunch if us try to explain it in a single forum thread.

Best answer you could give right here ^^^^

X2 PennKev's reply.

but if you have some time to waste - Youtube will get you down the Euro Nymphing rabbit hole pretty quick.

The books are excellent jumping off points and Youtube as mentioned. Add Lance Eagan into that mix of names too.

A long fly rod gives you more reach, so it gives you more control over the drift of nymphs, to prevent drag.

Long leaders: Monofilament is much thinner than a fly line. So there is less drag from the current.

That said, you can nymph fish just fine with an 8 1/2 or 9 ft rod.

Back in the day we did a lot of nymph fishing with 7 1/2 foot rods.

And we weren't using strike indicators.

Sounds like a good enough explanation to me.

Always like it when things are stated in a nutshell

I am very curious about this technique as well. I bought the Orvis Clearwater/beginner rod & reel as well as the George Daniel books.

I have really only nymph fished twice and both times were with guides and strike indicators. I did catch trout.

I am an old dog but willing to learn new tricks.

Ya throw it upstream, and drift it down. repeat

That's nymphing.

If you want to make it "euro", wear a beret.

^^^^Not if you want to be good at it.

PennKev,
You raise a good point. What is a “good” catch rate per hour when nymphing for trout?

A good catch rate is whatever satisfies you. But even then, just flinging it out there and hoping for the best is at the bottom end of the success, knowledge, and skill spectrum.

As with largely any fishing technique, conditions dictate catch rate to a larger degree than skill. A poorly skilled angler in good conditions will out catch a highly skilled angler in poor conditions. Though I suppose knowing the most effective technique to fish in a given set of conditions is a skill.

After checking it out I've been fishing similar to Euro fishing since the 70's. I use a 9 foot 4 weight Orvis rod and a 10 foot leader with no strike indicator with weighted nymphs and buggers to get my fly down deep. I only fish small and medium sized streams. The only difference is my rod isn't 10 foot ad my leader isn't as long.

The best Big Trout fisherman I've ever known used a 8 1/2 foot Shakespeare rod with Mono. Line on a automatic reel and fished bait. He was always showing up with huge 20 inch plus Brown Trout.

To me, it's no different then tight line nymphing with multiple flies. Longer rods can reach further then shorter rods. As mentioned before, monofilament line has less drag.

To me with all that euro/tight line stuff the key differences that make it a very productive fishing method are:

1.Extremely long leader with 3-6 foot of tippet, typically fluorocarbon.I think this aides in getting the flies down quicker and less drag.
2.No indicator but the presence of a sighter built into the leader to aid in strike detection and allowing a direct connection to your flies. I think being in direct contact with the flies allows for better strike detection and hook ups.

Longer rods/ weighted flies I think help but aren’t key to the method.

1hook wrote:
... being in direct contact with the flies allows for better strike detection....

Not only better detection, but better hookup rate as the fish nearly hook themselves, and if not a slight twitch of the wrist seals the deal.

But it is so boring and you get a lot of snags.

I just started a year ago. I bought a 10’3 fenwick rod. The first time out I struggled and went straight back to a indicator. Gave it a full day thing came together. Now it’s definitely a go to way to nymph in most situations. The long rods are soft. You can’t cast dries to rising fish 40 feet away. I believe it’s to protect the tippets when setting the hooks.

I fished the Big Horn every summer for two weeks from 1988 - 1993 and that was long before Euro nymphing hit the scene in the US and just when bobber fishing was beginning to take hold.

Back then the Big Horn had probably 5000 trout per mile (I don't know the current numbers) and I would nymph during the day say from 8:00 t0 2:00 and then take a break and fish dry from 6:00 - dark. It was easy to land 20 - 25 17" - 20" on nymphs with a 9' #4 set-up and either fishng across and down or casting directly upstream and watching the tip of the line.

Since everything I've read speaks about the bigger catch rates using Euro techniques would I be catching 40 fish nymphing? Assuming of course I had the skill level required.

Back