if Carp are the poor man's Redfish then...

turkey

turkey

I took a few days off at the end of last week and decided to chase some warm water fish around. I fished the Allegheny, Presque Isle Bay, and the mouth of Walnut Creek all in 4 days and while the fish were cooperative, they weren't huge in size, but I'll take that trade off most days. The day I hit Presque Isle, the southerly wind had the bay chopped up enough that I didn't feel comfortable kayaking. I retreated to the calmer lagoon/inlet waters. The Lake Erie level is up about a foot this year from last year so some of my bayside wading spots were also too deep. So my question then...if the Carp is the poor man's Redfish...is the lowly Sheephead the poorer man's carp?

Attachments

• pan (640x361).jpg
    pan (640x361).jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 14
  • lg_mouth (640x361).jpg
    lg_mouth (640x361).jpg
    240 KB · Views: 3
  • brnzbck3 (640x361).jpg
    brnzbck3 (640x361).jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 1
  • drum (640x455).jpg
    drum (640x455).jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 1
Are Sheephead pretty common in Lake Erie? I've never seen one in person..

I'm jealous of the beard, too.......

TUNA wrote:
Are Sheephead pretty common in Lake Erie? I've never seen one in person..

I think they are. I only fished erie once - for like 2 hours while playing a gig one weekend on South Bass Island (Put in Bay).

In those two hours I caught a half dozen smallmouths 15-20 inches and 1 nice sized sheephead. Didn't even know what it was - had to ask a passing local. From her reaction i gathered that they are not very rare, but that the one i got (about the same size as the smallies) was decent.

They leave "common" way behind and easily qualify for bona fide PITA status.

Try trolling a spinner/nightcrawler rig for walleye out there sometime. You'll stick 5 sheephead for every walleye or bass you catch.

And without a lot of masking prep (baked in totmato sauce, etc.), they aren't even really all that good to eat

Nice. I have caught two sheephead before, both while fishing the Rocky River in Ohio. I'm guessing you got it at the mouth of Walnut?

Tons in lake Erie and Drum on the fly rock! One of my favorite fish to chase and they take flies willingly. :)

streamerguy wrote:
I'm guessing you got it at the mouth of Walnut?

yes sir. that was at Walnut. This is the only time I fish there. Too many people in the winter.

Looks like fun, and I know that it's better than working!

Might have less problem with the wind blowing your boat around if you trim off some of that sail you have :lol:

Fredrick wrote:
Might have less problem with the wind blowing your boat around if you trim off some of that sail you have :lol:

Its not really a beard. Its a Buff ZZ Top signature series head wrap. UV protection and hidden identity...check.

My family all grew up in that area and everyone HATES sheephead lol steelhead also for that matter. My buddy said when they troll the steelhead will tangle up the lines.

Is this the Sheepshead you're talking about??? :lol

7508Sheepshead.jpg

clc wrote:
My family all grew up in that area and everyone HATES sheephead lol steelhead also for that matter. My buddy said when they troll the steelhead will tangle up the lines.
I hail from the north coast as well and was learned at a young age that Drum were a nuisance. I like them quite a bit now. Steelhead have a hold on me. I know its a total zoo up there when they run but I can't not fish for them.

Miller, who is that bird?! That top is a little young on her.

wgmiller wrote:
Is this the Sheepshead you're talking about??? :lol

7508Sheepshead.jpg

You see a fish in that picture?

Those aren't bobbers... they're strike indicators ;)

big ones... for choppy water!

Back