ice dubbing

flipnfly

flipnfly

so what's everyones take on ice dubbing both pearl and uv i like it but then again i thing its sparkle wins me over as a fisherman i have one fly that catches fish with it so far its pretty much like a size 16- 18 peacock black hare's ear and i fish it in the film later april early may any tricks or tips will be greatly appriceated

I started using Hairline UV dubbing lately and that stuff is great. Easy to dubb, you can blend it well with other stuff, and I think it gives just the right amount of flash to the patterns. I have even started blending a little bit into superfine dubbing and using it on dry flies.

I use it on a caddis puppa pattern. Seems to work good.

I've tried tying a couple patterns all pearl ice dubbing and the same patterns with a natural or synthetic off-white dub with a little ice dub blended in. Although limited "tests", the blended version seems to outperform the all ice dub version.

I tie an off-white/pink shellback scud and incorporate a little ice dub that really works well. I also add a little to a muskrat body, patridge hackle bead head wet that also works well. It also adds some sparkle as underwings to CDC or rabbits foot emerger patterns and also trailing shucks.

Like tobasco_joe, I like this stuff for caddis nymphs, and, like GreenWeenie, think it's even better blended with natural stuff. The ice dubbing tends to have rather thick fibers and seems to be a bit better suited for nymphs on the larger size, say about #16 and up.

thanks for your replies i like the idea with the caddis and scuds

Sandfly gave me some good advise: it's best when spun.

If you don't like spinning dubbing - leave it on the shelf.

Back