I Wonder- Can it Cast a Fly Rod

Md, that sounds like normal software. I.e humans put in equations. The computer merely does the calculations much faster than a human can. Even if those equations are differential equations rather than standard spreadsheet fare, it's not really AI.

The central definition of AI is that it perceives it's environment in some way, learns, and adjusts itself based on it.

That robot is not AI, for instance. Sure, it perceives it's environment and reacts to it. But it doesn't learn. For instance, the guy keeps sliding the box away with the hockey stick. It keeps going after the box. AI, after he does that once or twice, would decide it needs a new plan. And would attempt to prevent the guy from sliding it away. Could you imagine how surprised that dude would be if, on the second try, it grabs the stick and rips it out of his hands, breaks it, throws it aside, then proceeds to pick up the box? That would be AI.

It's scary because an equally valid "solution" to it's "human keeps sliding target away" problem is to kill the human. And machines don't have ethics.

I like the drunk robot stumbling through the woods part.

Boston Dynamics= Cyberdyne

Terminators are real...

"I like the drunk robot stumbling through the woods part."
Hahaha, me too.

I often wonder if AI can ever be as resourceful as the human brain? Especially when it comes to problem solving....

BTW, I like the funny comment about the drunk stumbling through the snow.

Pcray,
I know what you mean. But the software we used had "IF X then Do abc, IF Not X do Y, IF MAYBE X do Z. And one of it's programmed goals was to get better at monitoring and reporting satellite conditions. But I get your point. You a programmer too?

What concerns me are the actions of the guy with the hockey stick. If there is one thing that hollywood has taught us, it is "do not taunt the robots"

I think that it's amazing that he/she can keep their balance when they slip.

In the 2015 Darpa competition of robotics Atlas was able to complete all eight tasks as follows:

1. Drive a utility vehicle at the site.
2. Travel dismounted across rubble.
3. Remove debris blocking an entryway.
4. Open a door and enter a building.
5. Climb an industrial ladder and traverse an industrial walkway.
6. Use a tool to break through a concrete panel.
7. Locate and close a valve near a leaking pipe.
8. Connect a fire hose to a standpipe and turn on a valve.

Link to source: Atlas Robot

Much of this technology will help Japan deal with the Fukushima crisis. Coming up on 5 years since the incident and they are still designing robots that they need to go in fix the problems. The plant is contained but not fixed.

DaveS wrote:
I don't need this thing to cast a fly rod. I'll do that myself, albeit poorly. Can it rake leaves?

Now you're talking. Go mow my lawn, pick up all the sticks, and scoop up all the landmines my dogs leave me, while I go fish.

What happens if it slaps your wife for good cause? Will you be charged with spouse abuse?

When I watched it walk down the hill, I thought it was Gulfgreyhound in a robot suit.

Back