I Hate to Even Ask

J

JeffP

Has anyone seen Penns Creek? The situation can't be good. I know their are more pressing issues in the world, but its hard not to worry when every chance of rain bypasses Penns. It is hard to believe some fishing reports say things like highs in upper 60s and fish the riffles.

If you put a thermometer in the water below Coburn on the East side of the creek, I don't doubt it probably is that temperature. BUT , yes, to your larger point, it is amazing to me, living in the North West, to see rain that is abundant here, to just disappear on its way to Centre County. As of today, the Rynd Farm gage on Oil Creek records like 6.2 inches for July. THat's 2 inches above the rainfall that we would get in May, our wettest month.

“It is hard to believe some fishing reports say things like highs in upper 60s and fish the riffles.”

There is more than one way to interpret this sentence. How did you mean that…sarcastically or sincerely? Are you saying that you don’t think high temps are in the upper 60’s or are you glad that they have held to the upper 60’s? Likewise, what’s wrong with anglers fishing riffles or are you saying that temps are so warm that anglers should not fish any portion of the stream, including the riffles?

“It is hard to believe some fishing reports say things like highs in upper 60s and fish the riffles.”

There is more than one way to interpret this sentence. How did you mean that…sarcastically or sincerely? Are you saying that you don’t think high temps are in the upper 60’s or are you glad that they have held to the upper 60’s? Likewise, what’s wrong with anglers fishing riffles or are you saying that temps are so warm that anglers should not fish any portion of the stream, including the riffles?
I think what Jeff is trying to say is, with all of this hot/dry weather what's the point of targeting trout.

Highs are not in the upper 60s. With the lack of rain I'm doubting there are fishable riffles. That same report hasn't changed since the end of June. Why not just say don't fish? It's what all the signs say. I saw some Penns pictures from last year during a drought period and it look like all rocks. This year has been way hotter and is about to get hotter. I'm shocked that Penns fished as well this year as it did. I'm not optimistic about the fall or next year. Then again, they do seem to find a way.

Actually the site I'm referring to, does say don't fish above 68. But they give advice, hatches etc. Penns Creek Angler said don't fish and doesn't update hatches.

I think what Jeff is trying to say is, with all of this hot/dry weather what's the point of targeting trout.
There are streams out there that are plenty cold enough, and have enough water to fish if you know where to go. I've been waiting for a couple streams to warm up for the last two weeks, which includes a couple of heat waves during this time. These streams have maintained 56F temps, but I'm waiting for 60F, or so.

Why not just use some common sense and DO NOT FISH! Also, they make stream thermometers for a reason. Get one and use it.

Yep, if you are fishing it, you are in the wrong. Find something else to do.

The person that fishes it in these conditions will be the first one to complain about how there's not as many fishes there used to be. No s**t dumbazz you killed them

Why worry about Penns Creek because there is nothing to worry about? I live pretty close to Penns (same general area, at least) and the weather, temps, level of rainfall, etc hasn't been bad at all. Overall, this summer has not been all that hot compared to other years in the not-so-distant past. There is no sense in being overly concerned about things that you cannot control. The trout in Penns Creek will be fine. Actually, we have just crossed the slope of temperature trends where average temperatures start to fall as we head closer to autumn. Sure, it seems a long way off, but the cooling trend is now beginning. That doesn't mean the end of heat-waves etc for the year, but the trout have pulled through worse.

Also, Penns is posted with stream temperature signs reminding anglers about taking this into consideration. Also, the catch-rate when stream temps are high is so much lower that a person fishing under ideal conditions probably kills more trout due to catch and release than someone fishing right now would. More trout and more trout handled means more chancing of death for each and every fish. You go out now and catch two they both might die, sure. You go out and catch fifty in May and more than 2 could easily die, so...... A lot of people still overhandle fish, hold them out of the water longer than necessary, and do other stupid stuff with the fragile trout.

Just my opinion, but I am sure that Penns will still be loaded with trout come next spring.

Those signs should point any knucklehead hoping to catch trout in Penns to the lower section. The small jaw action is hot (and so is the water)

Attachments

• 331C4FE5-77E6-4CE3-A874-554B8FD62239.jpeg
    331C4FE5-77E6-4CE3-A874-554B8FD62239.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 23
Why worry about Penns Creek because there is nothing to worry about? I live pretty close to Penns (same general area, at least) and the weather, temps, level of rainfall, etc hasn't been bad at all. Overall, this summer has not been all that hot compared to other years in the not-so-distant past. There is no sense in being overly concerned about things that you cannot control. The trout in Penns Creek will be fine. Actually, we have just crossed the slope of temperature trends where average temperatures start to fall as we head closer to autumn. Sure, it seems a long way off, but the cooling trend is now beginning. That doesn't mean the end of heat-waves etc for the year, but the trout have pulled through worse.

Also, Penns is posted with stream temperature signs reminding anglers about taking this into consideration. Also, the catch-rate when stream temps are high is so much lower that a person fishing under ideal conditions probably kills more trout due to catch and release than someone fishing right now would. More trout and more trout handled means more chancing of death for each and every fish. You go out now and catch two they both might die, sure. You go out and catch fifty in May and more than 2 could easily die, so...... A lot of people still overhandle fish, hold them out of the water longer than necessary, and do other stupid stuff with the fragile trout.

Just my opinion, but I am sure that Penns will still be loaded with trout come next spring. well

wel said i agree 100 pct when you youngguns been around as long as us we seen much worsr summers and trout are very capapable of pulling through ,,,i think major media and publications have overhyped hot summers effect on a lot of trout streams

2 weeks ago, some buddies and I drove an hour+ to the Cherry Run parking lot very early on Sunday morning to catch some cool water before it warmed up. The water was 69 when we got there, and I wished we hadn't gambled, but we fished for ~2 hours. We caught chubs and small mouth, no trout. My conscience is clear.

Last Tuesday evening, after Mondays rain, I drove to White Deer Creek FFCR section. When I released a Rainbow, the water seemed kind of warm. It measured 70. Last year I had never seen this creek over 68. I fished and explored some more, but never had another hit. That was OK with me. If I didn't have to burn 5-6 Gal gas for the round trip, I would have left as soon as I measured the water temp. Some may think I should have left immediately, but these are stocked fish, and many will be taken by one predator or another. Hell, the lower section was poached out before the regular season started.

I'm now putting together a kayak to fish the Susky when the trout waters are warm.

Streams that I know for a fact were bone dry in sections in Sept/Oct 2020 have Trout, wild Trout, in them now. How they manage this, I don’t know, but they do.

I’ve said it before in the similar Potter County thread, but I’ll say it again here. Since about Memorial Day, things have been low, and often warm from a fishing perspective, but nothing close to even recent low water years in 2015 and 2020. The Trout were fine then, and they are now. In Penns, and elsewhere. That doesn’t mean you should fish Penns, or any other stream that is getting consistently too warm, but, the fish are fine. They figure it out. They’re far better at surviving than we like to give them credit for.

Penns for Smallmouth further down below Glen Iron could save the day (as seen here)

Attachments

• 1B0746D2-9976-402C-9EBD-2F113057E31F.jpeg
    1B0746D2-9976-402C-9EBD-2F113057E31F.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 20

Just my opinion, but I am sure that Penns will still be loaded with trout come next spring.

^This should be required reading for anyone who wants to post on the board fretting about stream conditions.

As others have said, Penns Creek’s trout will be ok. Yes the water is very low and no, you should not fish it for trout right now but they will be there when fall comes around and hopefully by then it will get a shot of much needed rain. There is nothing unique or extreme about this summer compared to summers past.

I think the very wet, and cool Summers of 2018 and 2019, and to a large degree 2021 spoiled us a bit. They are not normal. What you’re seeing right now in 2022 is very “normal”. The historical USGS gauge data proves this scientifically if you have any doubts. Pull the 2015 and 2020 data if you want to see a mild to perhaps moderate drought type year. I don’t even recall the last severe drought year? Anyone?

Low, often too warm to fish (for Trout) water is normal and to be expected every Summer. It’s normal for the fish too, and they know to survive it. It’s normal to have to limit your Trout fishing opportunities in July and August most years. As said, Smallmouth pull really hard and hit like savages. For anyone who hasn’t tried it, give it a whirl. Coincidentally, or maybe not, the low, clear, warm water that makes fishing for Trout difficult if not unethical, is dialed in conditions for Smallies.

Last edited:
Penns Creek is listed as moderate drought.The 10 day doesn't look good. While I know temps were decent last year, I swore water was incredibly low. I was trying to change dates on the U.S.G.S. site and not having much success. What percent of let's say Poe Paddy fish move up to Coburn? I remember fishing in the fall and we arrived to find a trickle and only a few fish. We got 2 inches of rain overnight and the next day there were a ton of fish everywhere. They were not there the day before were they? If they were stacked at trips and or in the "deep" I just think we would have seen some evidence.

Back