I did the unthinkable!

I enjoy eating trout and keep some stocked fish every year from the local ATWs. I carry a flat style creel lined with a grocery bag. In the bag is one of those frozen square plastic cooler thingies.

When I want to keep a fish, I net 'em and use a small club that fits in the creel. One bonk on the head and they go right into the creel on ice. When I get home, I simply take the grocery bag with fish out of the creel and this keeps fish residue from dripping in the car or house.

Just snap their neck.

My late mother enjoyed eating trout.
And once or twice year, I'd kill a limit for her.
As previously noted, a quick rap on the head with whatever is available -usually a rock - is the most humane way IMO
I hate to see anything suffer too.

Many years ago, while driving along route 22 to the little juniata, a car in front of me hit a deer. And quickly left the scene, with the poor animal writhing in pain on the side of the road.
I had a tool bag in my truck - but no hammer. The heaviest thing I could find in there was a pipe wrench. So I used it to dispatch the creature

Carry a pocket knife, and as soon as you land the fish, lay it on a log or on the grass and cut right through the spine, just behind the head.

Then gut the fish, and put the guts back in the shrubbery, where creatures will eat it.

Don't do this when fishing where people have lawns, because then it would be littering and a nuisance, just do it when you are in "woodsy" territory.

I have done the same (thrown guts in bushes), though I admit to not being sure of the legalities of it. It's the same thing we'd do with bunny guts when rabbit hunting, but you had to hang those high so the dogs didn't get em. Statute of limitations has expired, so... I haven't kept a fish in a while.

Back when I did keep some stockies, I used a stringer, however, I killed the fish first. The stringer was an easy way to keep the fish in the water, and hence, cold, as I didn't carry ice with me. Typically I'd only keep 1 or 2, and then maybe a 3rd if you happen to have one take it deep or something. Saved the gutting part for the end of the day and did them all at once.

As it is, I won't kill a normal stocked trout. Simply don't like the taste. Wild fish taste much better. Pink meat, like a salmon, but not quite that strong. I'll admit years ago I killed some wild brookies while backwoods camping on several occasions. I would do so again as well if in that situation. Generally that's a situation where you're C&Ring all day long, but at the end of the day, you keep one or two for the fire. Your gonna cook right away, so while gutting, I'd cut off the head and tail and fins, split it in half down the back, lift out the backbone and hope some bones comes with it, put some butter and Italian seasoning inside, put it back together like a sandwich, wrap in foil, and lay it right on the coals. Turn it once or twice while cooking.

I also have been known to keep a single steelhead on occasion. Usually it's one of those deals where your only gonna keep one if you happen to catch one right at the end of the day anyway. Too cold to gut, too heavy to carry around, lol! Kill it, walk to car immediately, throw it in a plastic bag, drive straight to Poor Richards, trade for a smoked one, drive home.

When fish are stressed, they leach chemicals into the tissues to protect the tissue. I have no idea whether this makes them taste better or worse. Thus, assuming it is worse, I would dispatch them right away and then keep them cool, but not frozen until they can be cooked.

Also, I was always told to "bleed them" and again, am not sure whether this helps or hurts taste. I'd be interested if anyone knows, because if I would eat one, I would like it to taste as good as it can.

Bleeding them out is very important for some fish (regarding taste), and probably helpful for all. But I don't think trout are among the "more important" group.

No one mentioned it, but they make a miniature club for whacking fish and it is called a "priest." I assume this is because it administers "last rites."

trout are game. don't gut them until you cook em.

Salmon, striped bass, venison, rabbit, duck are the same. leave cool for 24 hours with guts in.

I don't eat farmed fish ;-)

JackM wrote:
No one mentioned it, but they make a miniature club for whacking fish and it is called a "priest." I assume this is because it administers "last rites."

correct. I have one from Hardy for Salmon fishing, not used for 12 years now though.

hardy-priest-9248-p[ekm]393x393[ekm].jpg

three taps behind the eyes is the traditional way of giving the last rites....

geebee wrote:

Salmon, striped bass, venison, rabbit, duck are the same. leave cool for 24 hours with guts in.

what?

I never heard that before, especially venison. I have heard people leaving the hide on for 24 hours but not the entrails. Please explain.

I just beat them until they stop wriggling. Twitching requires an additional rap.

mcwillja wrote:
geebee wrote:

what?

I never heard that before, especially venison. I have heard people leaving the hide on for 24 hours but not the entrails. Please explain.

anything that's classified as game can be 'hung' - ever seen hung pheasants ?

it means you leave the guts in for 24 hours of more to give the meat a stronger gamey flavor.

http://www.blackface.co.uk/

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79744

its from before the time that there was such a thing as sauces and fridges....

Why would you ever consider leaving the hide on a deer for 24 hours?The quicker you can cool the meat while keeping it dry the better it will set up and cure. Guts and hide are both a serious detriment to the overall cooling process. Not to mention the fact that they skin a whole lot easier if they are still a bit warm. I'm just not following the logic behind the guts and hide idea.

On the fish side, the quicker you can get those trout on ice the better. They filet real nice when they are ice cold. If you don't have the means to get them on ice quickly you might as well let them swim IMO.

jeez, bashing in heads with rocks and clubs. just put your thumb in their mouth and quickly break the neck by bending the head backwards touching their nose to their back. it snaps in less than a second and it's immediate lights out. seems more humane to me - probably why hanging replaced stoning.

Also i've always heard to gut game ASAP and get the hide off and cool them ASAP. don't see sides of beef hanging with the hide on or guts in.

I've heard of hanging pheasant with guts intact but not other game. I haven't kept a fish for a long time. Too much hassle. I'm not that good of an angler so they don't have much to worry about regardless.

turkey wrote:
I've heard of hanging pheasant with guts intact but not other game. I haven't kept a fish for a long time. Too much hassle. I'm not that good of an angler so they don't have much to worry about regardless.
Oh please. You're just fine as an angler, but I do agree about keeping fish. Too much work for me!

Ha! Thanks Andy. Last fish I kept was a steelhead. It died of embarrassment almost immediately so I took it home. Pulling out those pin bones isn't worth the effort.

Agreed. I do see some dudes on Youtube who can really fillet a fish at an impressive rate of speed and quality. That ain't me! Ever eat a big "golden rainbow"? I know where we can catch them ;-)

Back