Huge rain event - Catskills

wbranch

wbranch

If anyone is, or was, planning a trip to any of the rivers in the Delaware drainage forget about it. All the rivers, and I mean all, including the Willowemoc and the Beaverkill are blown out. The Beaverkill was just under 2000 cfs a few hours ago. The EB at Fishes Eddy was 4000 cfs, the WB at Hale Eddy was 3350 cfs, the main at Lordville is 8000 cfs. It was pouring an hour ago when my buddy called while packing to leave.

The Willowemoc will fall first followed by the Beaverkill. But the extended forecast called for multiple days of showers over the next ten days. Further rain of any significant amount is only going to exacerbate the problem.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/rt]

Yo Matt - thanks for the headsup. At least no fear of a drought up there. SE PA could use a bit of that.

I was up on Saturday and Sunday to clean up the sticks and branches that fell over the winter and I blew most of the leaves over the bank.

I drove over to Cemetery on the Lower Beaverkill when it was a gorgeous flow at 465 cfs. A few tan caddis flitting around and I finally saw one rising fish. I coverd it once and it ate and it measured 17". I went back to the WB packed up my gear and drove home.

I won't be going back until the WB is 1500 cfs or less and the main no more than 2000 cfs.

Thanks for the update. I am constantly checking the USGS information available on this website. It looks like my weekend fishing trip will be hiking in the woods and playing with my GPS watch.

Ditto, thanks. I'm headed up there next weekend (13th), hoping the Willow and the Beaverkill drop and clear by then. The historical data indicates that they drop pretty quickly, as long as they don't get more rain obviously.

Yes, the Willow and the upper Beaverkill do drop quickly as they are head water streams. The Beaverkill below the junction will of course take longer to drop.

Man, if it doesn't stop raining, it may not be fishable again until June.
I remember a few other times when that happened

Glad I spent a whole week up there before the blow out

dryflyguy wrote:
Man, if it doesn't stop raining, it may not be fishable again until June.
I remember a few other times when that happened

Glad I spent a whole week up there before the blow out

I check the D flow and current reservoir levels every day. NYC has kept Cannonsville and Pepacton at 99% capacity through the winter and spring. Any moderate rain events like we are having now will cause the dams to spill swelling the upper D to high levels. That throws flood control right out the window. It's amazing that we can't find some happy medium to keep everyone happy.

afish: I was wondering the same thing.

Also, should there be alewives in the West Branch if Cannonsville is spilling now?

There’s a man with a positive outlook.....

Flyswatter wrote;

Also, should there be alewives in the West Branch if Cannonsville is spilling now?

Yes, absolutely if Cannonsville is really spilling which it appears it is. But unless someone is willing to rent you a drift boat any alewive action is going to be out of your reach. Unless you are willing to throw Rapalas on a spin rod.

Here is the link to the reservoir levels;

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dep/water/reservoir-levels.page

Both Pepacton & Cannonsville are at more than 100% capacity. Hale Eddy is at 3550 cfs. I wouldn't put my boat in the river at that level. It would be dangerous to drop the anchor in that flow and very hard to get it up. It's not worth it.

That's a very good point. Safety first.

Update on the Delaware system;

I just looked at the river report from the Delaware River Club. I guess I'm just a wuss because it appears guys are floating. If you open the report there are pictures of drift boats on the river. The water looks high but those pictures may of been taken anytime.

Delaware River Report / Conditions May 7, 2021 May 07, 2021 No Comments by Jeff White Most people reported good hatches yesterday. There are definitely good numbers of caddis. Some river sections are seeing hendricksons and blue quills while others have moved past those to march browns. The Beaverkill flow at Cooks Falls has dropped to around 1,000 cfs offering some wade opportunities. Wunderground is showing some rain spread out over the next few days so check the gauges for the latest flows. There is no wadeable water on the West Branch, East Branch and Mainstem. We should see a light rain shower this afternoon with 5 – 10 mph wind from the South
."

There are definitely guys floating it.

Yes, I spoke to a fellow up there and he said the guides have been floating it everyday even when it was at it's highest. But he did say a big problem was getting the anchor to hold the boat. I only have a 20# anchor, which is fine for normal flows, but it won't hold at the current level.

We floated it from just after the crest until yesterday. Anchoring is limited to specific areas even with a 40# anchor. Could be dicey for inexperienced rowers. Just happy to be out there. This was nothing compared to when we floated in 2015. Hale gauge was around 7000 and that was a little frightening.

Stood on the deck overlooking the stilesville section every day. Didn't notice any alewives.

Floated 5/7-8. Fishing was good, not great. I personally am not a fan of floating >7K on calicoon gauge, but I try to err on the side of safety. It wasn't too bad, just need to be careful where you anchor.

Back