How often do you fish?

Started out in 1995 with two buddies that were into it but it didn't really take. Probably started up again in 2000 as a casual fly angler and grew into an obsession by 2005. I would go out almost once a week by that time.

In September 2007, my company folded and I then proceeded to fish 2-4 days a week while I was unemployed. In 2009 once my benefits expired I spent 3 months driving around Montana fishing all the famous waters.

I fished several times a week till the waters warmed in 2011- then I became (a sucker again) employed. So that really reduced my fly angling time.

Then I quit corporate America again April 2015 and took a job working at a Harriman State park on the Henry's Fork in Idaho for 3 months for the season. It was awesome- as I was able to hit every prime water and hatch for months within a days drive. That put Beaverhead, Big hole, Madison, Ruby, Yellowstone , South Fork of Snake , Gallatin within easy reach.

After the season was over I fished for another 2 months in ID, CA, OR,AZ and CO. Fished for many native trouts. Great times- miss it a lot as I sit at a desk now all day long. Sucker

I average once or twice a week -- probably 70 times a year or so. That's going to go up once I retire next year.

I live in northeast Ohio and fish the Grand, Chagrin, and Rocky rivers. I try to get out a couple of times a week. Steelhead season I'll fish during the week and let the masses have the weekends. During the summer, chasing smallies, I can fish any time and not run into a soul on the water.

I used to fish around 100 days a year on average. That's an honest number, not an exaggeration. Best year was 130 outings, each with a journal entry.

Lately it's been closer to 10-15. Kids and responsibility!

They do, however tend to be better planned, more adventurous, full day "serious" trips. Sunup till dark on the water or travelling to and from. With that, they come in bunches. Couple of months without then a three day pure fishing trip without the fam. What I lost are the hour here and there type trips.

I go to our cabin sometime in May and stay until Labor Day. I fish almost every day until it gets too hot and the water too low. I go back up in October for a few weeks. Unfortunately this year was a bust due to lack of rain.

I have lots of interests so, with some exceptions, I do all of my fly fishing between April 10 and June 25. Over the last 10 years I average about 27 days each year.

My wife states "all the time" but my statistics don't back her up on that. Over the past five years, it has been between 50-60 days a year, with a barely discernible downtick in the number of days as time goes by. I'm guessing 2016 may drop below 50, because between the weather and having many things to do over the summer, there wasn't much fishing happening. I guess counterbalancing (or skewing) those numbers is a streak of six consecutive nightfishing outings in July, as well as a handful of overnight backpacking trips, so I tend to have a bunch of clustered multi-day outings, as opposed to regular weekly outings.

I started keeping track A few years ago of how much time I spend fishing every year. I average almost 90 days A year for the last 10 years with once hitting A 100 days. So far this year I am at 71 so I should be in the area of 90 again. Like I said I keep track of days fishing not how many fish I catch. I do love to catch them but just getting out for an hour or so some nights help me clear my head and escape life and work.

I will likely get in about 65-70 trips this year, logged about 55 days so far this year, which is a bit off the mark due to some lost weeks to drought conditions... I may do 85 on a good year?? I fish all winter and love it that time of year. No offense, but I prefer not to see any of you clowns parked near my haunts. Part hermit, so winter helps with my anthrophobia...

I used to keep track, and one year I fished 150 days -- that was my highest total. Normally, I hit about 120 days. I'd guess this year will be slightly lower, since I did not fish much during the heat of July, August, and early September.(Plus, my favorite trico stream has been trashed over time by horses and 4-wheelers.) I did fish every day that I could from April 25 to May 25.

My average fishing time is usually between 2 and 3 hours, probably more toward the lower end.

I fish when I want or get invitations from friends, and I can make it. Not 156 days or 69 Gemmies . Would much rather loose a 30 year Brown at the net and keep a friend

Now that the conditions are better than this Summer, I try to get out a couple times a week. I usually fish 3 to 4 hours each time.
Being on the water is very calming to me, so when I am not fishing I am walking along the steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZzEvqDQfIA

I don't fish as often as I would like. Since my passion is a two night/three day canoe trip, I spend a lot of time fishing on those canoe trips. Most canoe trips are smallmouth bass water, but I do bring a minnow trap with me and at night do some "Y" stick fishing while drinking a beer or three(I'm not driving once I set up camp).

I have caught trout on canoe trips. Those trips were on the Delaware River, Little Juniata, Sherman's Creek, Yellow Breeches, and Yough in PA. The South Fork of the New River in NC, and the Greenbrier and South Branch of the Potomac in WV.

I used to live in Washington Crossing, PA which is right next to the Delaware River and spent a lot of time in my canoe on the river. I'm 58 years young and grew up on a dead end road that lead to the Yellow Breeches Creek. When I was a boy there were only three channels on the TV, and no computers. I grew up playing with football, basketball, and baseballs. When I wasn't doing that I was exploring and fishing the Yellow Breeches.

My parents live in Aspen, CO, I haven't skied since 1986. I would rather fish the Frying Pan River when I visit them. The fishing is very good there even during the winter.

My grandfather taught me how to fly fish at a R&G club in the western Pocono Mountains and also at a dude ranch in NW Wyoming. One of these days I will be a member of that club and will spend most weekends at that R&G club fishing with the Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod that my grandfather bequeathed to me.

After working 6 days a week I have little time to fish. But I'm lucky to have a wild brown tailwater 10 minutes from my house. I manage to get there about one day a week if only for an hour.

Right now I'm fishing less than once a week. Hopefully for the next few weeks I can increase that to about 3 or 4 times a week.

When the weather is nice, the water is cold, and not low, I can/do fish 4 or 5 times a week.

I'm lucky enough to have a short enough drive to more than enough decent water that getting out is mostly just wanting to fish enough to go. I can catch at least a dozen different species within 10 minutes from home. Or have the opportunity to catch them. The skill is another matter.

The past 12 months have been the busiest of my life, so not nearly enough as I'd like. That being said, I probably average twice a week during 'prime time' and once every other throughout the year. This January forward my schedule is going to open up a lot, and I plan on filling it in with fishing. (...that's the plan anyways)

acristickid wrote:
Started out in 1995 with two buddies that were into it but it didn't really take. Probably started up again in 2000 as a casual fly angler and grew into an obsession by 2005. I would go out almost once a week by that time.

In September 2007, my company folded and I then proceeded to fish 2-4 days a week while I was unemployed. In 2009 once my benefits expired I spent 3 months driving around Montana fishing all the famous waters.

I fished several times a week till the waters warmed in 2011- then I became (a sucker again) employed. So that really reduced my fly angling time.

Then I quit corporate America again April 2015 and took a job working at a Harriman State park on the Henry's Fork in Idaho for 3 months for the season. It was awesome- as I was able to hit every prime water and hatch for months within a days drive. That put Beaverhead, Big hole, Madison, Ruby, Yellowstone , South Fork of Snake , Gallatin within easy reach.

After the season was over I fished for another 2 months in ID, CA, OR,AZ and CO. Fished for many native trouts. Great times- miss it a lot as I sit at a desk now all day long. Sucker

acristickid- I was in the Ashton area in late august 2015. I talked to a guy at the bar a couple mornings in a row while eating breakfast at Trouthunter in Island park who mentioned he was from PA. Any chance that was you?

Moon- I don't think so. On my weekends, weds and thurs I usually took off to go fish a lil further away and work days I ate breakfast at the house I was staying in. Ashton area on Henry's Fork fished well for me earlier in the season.

Back