How often do you fish?

NewSal

NewSal

Simple question I am curious about, how often do you fish?
For the past year and a half if fished on average 3 times a week, sometimes 5 or 6 days a week, and atleast once or twice. Granted most of those times were 2-4 hour trips after work and not all day adventures, I am very lucky and fortunate to have the little Juniata between my place of work and home, I do not take this good fortune for granted.

Just curious to see how much everyone else gets out, I usually have whatever section of river I fish all to myself, rarely will I see anyone else out fishing sense the major hatches, except on weekend mornings there will be a handful out in the more popular areas.

A couple times a month right now. Used to be more than that, at least once a week if not 2 or 3 times a week. But now, I can't get out every week.

I can tell you this much, not enough!! LOL

I try to get out at least one evening after work every week and then usually get on the water at least once over the wknd...used to get out more, but TU commitments have been steadily taking over those previously free slots to go fishing....so I probably tally only about 50 sessions on the water each year at this point, usually taking the months of Dec/January/Feb 'off'. Unless we get a nice Saturday mixed in here or there, then I'll sneak out during the winter if I need a break from skiing.

Shaner wrote:
~180 days a year

That's awesome, you must fish an awful lot during winter as well.
Do you find winter fishing to be productive for you, as in catch rate?

I fish a few times a month. Some months a few times more. Would I like to fish more? Sure. At this point in my life family and ugh work take up a good bit of time.

I am fortunate to live on a lake with bass and crappie in it so I fish that a good bit more in the spring.

I also tie flies 3-4 nights a week and take a trip out west every summer.

A friend of mine fishes 250 days a year. He lives on a tailwater in Colorado and has a unique work situation and no kids. There may be a day or two that while I am stuck at work I get jealous. Ultimately though, my limited amount of fishing time just makes me more appreciative of it.

Not a much as I would like. Really about 4 Times a month on an average.

Now with school, usually 1-2 times a week(Sat &/or Sun).....but sometimes a day during the week if there's a good opportunity and I can sneak out.

Almost every day during the summer even if it's just a short evening outing for an hour or two. Not nearly as much in the winter. An auger would help with that though.....

Well since I started fly fishing at the end of may, it was 3,4,5,6 days a weeks or as often as I could sneak away. Then it was 2-4 days right before my second daughter was born at the end of august. Now it is more like every 3 weeks. But I may get out twice this week which would be great. I am getting a bit grouchy since I haven't been able to do any hunting or fishing recently.

When I'm in PA I'll fish 4-5 times per week. Some line wettings are overnighters @ State Park Cabins. Some are day trips to streams within an hour of the old home place up the mountain. And some are a few hours here or there when the weather, the mood and the water align...

In TX I'll go out a time or two in Jan and get a few of the winter stocked rainbows to fill a frying pan. Not much sport there.

I used to fish the Canyon Dam tailwater on Guadalupe River. There are some nice hold over & wild 'bows. But it's a 3 hr drive each way, and I'm too old a dog to round trip it in a day anymore.

It's expensive to stay up there. It is all private property so the only way to access the river is to buy an access pass from TU for $120.

Fishing in TX is not near the pleasure it is in PA.

Not nearly enough.

Im lucky if I get 1 day a week in most of the year. I do get more time in during the week in the spring and summer when it stays light until 9pm. I can usually sneak off to the local lake after work a few days a week.

My old lady wont tag along on fishing trips so I have to split my time up wisely between her and fishing. Kinda sucks

Every once in a while, Ill do a solo camping trip on a weekend her friends are in town to get back to back days in.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
Shaner wrote:
~180 days a year

That's awesome, you must fish an awful lot during winter as well.
Do you find winter fishing to be productive for you, as in catch rate?

Ive had days in the winter sometimes just as good as the summer. I used to go out even when below freezing-boot laces, waders, line, and guides frozen(not so fun). I slowed down alittle this year with the low water-caught a ok eye last night on a streamer.

Attachments

• 14804713_10210130199384218_461501146_n.jpg
    14804713_10210130199384218_461501146_n.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 14797374_10210130199464220_775947824_n.jpg
    14797374_10210130199464220_775947824_n.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 14794135_10210130199424219_92973503_n.jpg
    14794135_10210130199424219_92973503_n.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 12714166_10208001346404224_276745359_n.jpg
    12714166_10208001346404224_276745359_n.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 4
During the school year - 1-2 times a week (on the weekends). I rarely get out during the week when I'm teaching. Though when the days grow a bit longer and bugs start showing up, I sneak out every once in awhile for an evening hatch.

During the summer, I'd say an average of 4 times a week. Luckily, my old lady likes to camp, so all our vacations are centered around camping, which leads to a lot of fishing.

I'll also take solo camping/fishing trips when I just want to focus on the water and get away for a bit.

Fly fishing for trout, maybe a dozen days per year and about the same spin fishing for bass.

I'm lucky to live in New Mexico now. I moved here from Danville Pa 5 years ago. I don't get out as much as I did in Pa but the quality of water and fishing is much better here. I spend at least 2 days a week fishing Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. Sometimes hiking miles in to rivers and lakes and not see anyone for days. I do miss fishing Spring Creek in the winter. But here I can fish a number of tailwaters in sunny 45 deg's. in December. Many days I ski in the morning and head over to the San Juan or Rio Grande in the afternoon.

Usually every weekend and at least one long weekend a month. I work long hours usually until at least 7PM so I don't get out very often after work. I'd say I fish at least 100 days a year. I am fortunate to have the best lake ontario trib basically in my backyard within walking distance. The walk/climb down to the river is pretty brutal though. Tremendous seasonal salmon, steelhead, lake trout, brown trout fishery. Also great smallmouth, walleye and muskie fishery. Basically the same fishery as lake ontario only in (fast) moving water. Unfortunatley I am only home 4-8 days a month.

With a heavy workload for school, I try to make it out at least one evening on a week day and then I fish both Saturday and Sunday almost every weekend.

During the summer, 5-7 days a week.

Back