How many people..

This maybe the weekend that I will need it :)

I bought a folding wading staff several years ago on a fishing trip to the Elk River in West Virginia. It really helps me get to where I want to be and then I can get it out of my way.

Got one for a present several years ago...specifically for use on Penns. It's collapsible and came with several types of tips which of course are gone now, but I did not need it for any of the waters I usually fished.
Wanted to fish the Lehigh a couple of autumns ago and thought I should take it along cause I had never fished it and knew it was bigger water than I was used to.
Got to Bowmanstown, suited up and headed for the river. Got to the bank and prepared to enter the water in a pretty fast riffle....discovered that the staff was frozen and could not be extended to a length that would do me any good!
Of course I went out anyway...not sure how I survived as I nearly went down several times.

Nowadays I need a hip replaced, so I use it every water I wade (yes, its fixed), and am grateful for the support and confidence it gives me!

Never used a staff on any river ...Madison , Big Hole ( all the rocks are shaped like bowling balls), Penns Creek and even the Yough....Then in "09" I fell off a ladder and snapped off my leg right above my ankle ....... Now I made a 1 1/4" diameter turned round oak that I put a small diameter rope grip on and rubber tip.....Use it almost everywhere now.....( wish it had a sword that pulled out of the staff to deal with the " lo-holers" and "a** holers "I sometimes run into in Pa.

I think there is a bayonet attachment for the the Folstaff

I have never used a wading staff but I am getting older it's not far around the corner.

I started using one when a guide took me on Penns for the first time, and he loaned me one and insisted I use it. I thought it was so useful I made one out of a broomstick and I carry it every time I fish. It is great for fighting off geese, retrieving flies in trees, retrieving flies on the bottom, getting up and down steep banks. And hiking out at the end of the day.

I'm going to second the ski pole as a wading staff!

Back