How many people..

S

Sylvaneous

How many people, instead of taking a commercial wading staff, just locate and break-off the nearest appropriate stick and cinch it onto your stick zinger or what-not?

I can't imagine I'm the only one, as I saw 2 guys do this on Penns this weekend.

Syl

+1

I do - although I don't even attach it to anything.
Just stick it it into stream side when I'm finished with it.

I've done this on trips out West and discard the stick when it's time to head for the airport.

Here in PA I just use my homemade stick as I like to have a walking stick/wading staff and it saves time. However, in a pinch, the old field expedient tree branch can work pretty good.

I use a homemade branch from a cherry tree in my front yard. I did mod it a bit with twine & epoxy "handle" and an eye screw for a para-cord leash. It works very well.

Stick.

I had a nice Simms staff...lost it on Yellow Creek last year. Now I just use an old ski pole.

Only if I forget my staff. Otherwise I have three staffs with paracord grips made from yard branches.

I've never used a wading staff of any sort. I often think I should, especially on kishacoquillas creek. Lots of water and rocks are just the right size to trip over. Maybe I'll start...

dryflyguy wrote:
I do - although I don't even attach it to anything.
Just stick it it into stream side when I'm finished with it.

What he said.

I don't fish often these days, and when I do, I rarely need a staff. If I feel I need one, I don't wade there.

So on the rare occasions that I might need one to cross a stream, I will break one off off from something already on the ground.

When or if I get old, I might start carrying one all the time.

I use one on bigger waters, especially if fishing into the dark, makes getting back to shore MUCH easier!! If I'm on smaller creeks, I usually leave it in the truck, but I will use a branch if I need to.

jeremymcon wrote:
I've never used a wading staff of any sort. I often think I should, especially on kishacoquillas creek. Lots of water and rocks are just the right size to trip over. Maybe I'll start...

Yeah Kish can certainly be a rather tricky stream to wade. A wading staff would definitely come in handy there. The area we fished together a week or so ago had some mighty slick rocks. I think a wading staff would be beneficial and then I remember how annoying it would be to have one other thing dangling from me that I can get my fly line tangled in.

I don't fish often these days, and when I do, I rarely need a staff. If I feel I need one, I don't wade there.

When or if I get old, I might start carrying one all the time.

I ripped my knee apart falling in 6" of slow water. The shallow water and big rocks ripped it wide open. It looked like I was attacked by a shark. That's when I realized I was old and started taking a staff every trip.

jifigz wrote:
jeremymcon wrote:

Yeah Kish can certainly be a rather tricky stream to wade. A wading staff would definitely come in handy there. The area we fished together a week or so ago had some mighty slick rocks. I think a wading staff would be beneficial and then I remember how annoying it would be to have one other thing dangling from me that I can get my fly line tangled in.

Actually, I just use a cheapo wally world collapsible hiking stick, I clip it behind me to my wading belt with a carabiner, forget it's even there, never gets tangled in the line or anything like that, but I'm damn sure glad to have it when coming off penns after dark!!

Bought a Simms staff last year with the zinger - definite game changer! I feel much more secure, as in following the Kid in the dark on Penns after the GD hatch. Now the trillion gnats were another story. 50 with a bad knee and a staff helps tremendously.

These days I carry a Folstaf, (Simms or Orvis as back-ups) staff almost everywhere I go because it FOLDS which makes it convenient. I want my staff at my side if I need it, but not necessarily deployed which is why ski poles and sticks never appealed to me.

Besides, looking for a decent stick everywhere I go is a hassle and something I would not bother doing if I was already midstream, not to mention it can be a chore at some places, short of cutting down a sapling. I also don't want to trust putting all of my weight on a stick that may break because I'm a lousy stick picker-outer.

I used to only a staff when fishing swift or hazardous water but the risk of a routine bonehead move, even in skinny water resulting in a cracked kneecap or worse when I am fishing alone made me see the light.

Case in point - I once almost broke my elbow slipping on a rock in a foot of water when I bashed my elbow on a huge rock behind me because I decided I would rather save my rod & reel than my arm. I had a staff that day which is why it wasn't my head that hit the rock.

Machismo and age aside, it just makes send to me to not risk a catastrophe when I don’t have to.

I have often used the grab a stick method, but at almost 65 I nearly always take the home made stick with.

I don't carry a staff although I can recall a half dozen or so times when I realized maybe I should as I was tumbling down the river. I have picked up a broken branch off the ground, but never broke a branch off a tree to use as a staff. I also won't carry the branch for longer then to get to where ever I was trying to reach. If I need another one, there will be about 7 billion more.

I will carry a staff when I want to part water?

Back