How far

You guys who live close to trout streams really suck!

I live in Ohio. Nuff said. :-x

I was joking. You don't suck. Living in Ohio sucks, if not for living on a farm.;-)

But in a pinch, I can be at a stocked stream in PA in 20 minutes without breaking the speed limit ... much. Streams with wild trout are an hour or more.

Local trout stream 5 minutes,
20 minutes to the Tully
10 minutes to local state park with 2 lakes..
That said,3 hours to Penn's where I would rely like to spend more time..

Maybe ten minutes away from PennyPack Creek and a little over 1 hour for Tulpahocken up around Reading area. (FD that's pronounced: Red....ing)

Every year, I drive 2150 miles, more or less, from my home in SE PA to get to one of my favorite rivers. Once I arrive there, I'm just 15 or 20 feet from the river's edge, and stay there for 5 months. Many days, I fish there, routinely catching a handful of trout during the last 20 minutes in the evening. I also travel up to a couple hundred miles from there to fish other streams, rivers or lakes in the region. They are all good. It's hard to pick favorites from among them.

mt_flyfisher wrote:
Every year, I drive 2150 miles, more or less, from my home in SE PA to get to one of my favorite rivers.

Now that's a drive! :cool:

I've always thought of myself as living close to good fishing, but close is, obviously, relative. I have WW creeks and seasonal ATWs within 10-15 minutes and some marginal brookie streams within 15-20 min. The Cumberland Valley, where I do much of my trout fishing, is 45 minutes or so. Big bass rivers such as the Potomac and Susky are 50-60min for me.

For a day of fishing, about 2.5 hrs (one way) is typically my limit. Longer driving distances and I'll usually stay overnight.

I've always envied people who can walk out of their home to a first class fishing location (I really envy jifigz being so close to the Juniata, one lucky fella!)

I'm with Farmer Dave... I live in SE Michigan and my favorite water is in NC PA which is a 7 to 9 hour drive depending on where I go. Fortunately, I have a family cabin in NC PA (Loganton) and I get there at least once a year for an extended weekend to fish with family and friends. While there are a lot of good trout streams and fishing in Michigan it doesn't compare to NC PA but then again, there is nothing like your home waters.

Two and half hours.

What I consider my home water is 3.5 hours away which is why my fishing is typically limited to

sarce wrote:
It's interesting down here in NOVA. A few minutes in any direction has good LMB fishing in ponds. 15-20 minutes into DC and the Potomac for everything you can imagine other than trout - bass, stripers, shad, catfish, carp, panfish, snakeheads...even a few walleye when the stars align.

For wild trout, I'm 30 minutes or so from a few very marginal streams with declining brown trout populations. The first really worthwhile wild brown trout fishing is about 45 minutes away. But an hour drive puts me on Catoctin Mountain where I have several excellent brook and brown trout streams to pick from. If I head southwest, an hour and a half gets me to Shenandoah National Park, where a 20 fish day on the brookie streams is a slow day.

Trout and NOVA are a tough combo. Takes me about 245 to get out to western maryland which is where I love to be. Gunpowder is about an hour and twenty which isn't awful. Wish I had something good closer but it is what it is.

About 75 feet in Florida,80 in Michigan but they are ponds full of super sized largemouth and smallmouth respectively.Kayak instead of wading.
Life is good,.

1 hour for trout, 10 minutes for smallmouth

Within an hour:

East - Tulpehocken Creek, North - Clarks Creek, West - Yellow Breeches Creek, South - Gunpowder River

Good Smallmouth fishing within 15 minutes and my favorite carp beats are generally within 5 minutes away from home.

I carry my gear with me all the time. 1/2 hour spent fishing on any stream is still better than no time spent on the best fishery in the world.

unlike some other responses, I often spend more time driving than fishing on a trip. drive 2 hrs, fish 2 hrs, drive home 2 hrs. usually because I want to try a new trib somewhere and beat rush hour traffic back. (I476/the blue route southbound on a weekday afternoon is worth avoiding.)

I live in South Jersey. I haven't purchased a NJ license in over 40 years. My closest Class A is over an hour and a half away. Other streams about 3 plus hours. It's painful.

What I considered my home waters are 2 hours away, more of less. My first dog's registered name, Baron of Oil Creek.

In the one direction, I had to cross what was one of only two Class A in the county at that time, but Baron of Cherry Run didn't have that ring to it.;-)

While living in Connecticut, I lived for one year in an apartment in a converted gris mill. It was right on a stocked trout stream (Latimer Brook) where it dumped into the Niantic River (brackish water). Could cast off of my porch if I wanted to. Walked downstream and collected oysters and blue crabs.

Major run of snapper blues in the fall too. Pretty sure it was in the fall. Tie on anything shiny and BAM!

It also had a few sea run Browns. Never caught one, but saw some. Darn things must have been filled up with snapper blues.

Lived in Southern NJ for awhile, not far from the Pine Barons. The old cranberry bogs were LOADED with pickerel. It got to the point it was almost boring fishing there. At least one hit on nearly every cast.

Now I live in Ohio. :roll:

OK, pretty good warm water fishing here and I did live in a lake community for awhile and now I have my own ponds, but since moving to the farm, I usually find myself heading to PA because it is so close. Part of the reason to fish it to get away. I'm already purchasing a PA non-res license anyway for trout, so not need to buy an Ohio licenses for warm water when Pymatuning is so close. I only buy an Ohio license if I intend to fish for steelhead over here, and I kind of lost interest in that even though Ohio steelhead is usually more enjoyable for me compared to PA steelhead (larger streams and less crowded). PA side of Conneaut Creek is about the same distance as Ohio part. Even closer if I decide to go way upstream.

salmo wrote:
I live in South Jersey. I haven't purchased a NJ license in over 40 years. My closest Class A is over an hour and a half away. Other streams about 3 plus hours. It's painful.

Salmo, check out the old cranberry bogs in the Pine Barrens. If you like catching lots of aggressive fish, you will love that. Difficult to fly fish from the bank, but if you don't mind a spinning rod or fishing out of a kayak or canoe ...

If you prefer the more selective fish, (getting skunked) carry on.

When dealt lemons, ... well, I like lemonade.;-)

FarmerDave wrote:
Difficult to fly fish from the bank, but if you don't mind a spinning rod or fishing out of a kayak or canoe ...

If you prefer the more selective fish, (getting skunked) carry on.

When dealt lemons, ... well, I like lemonade.;-)

Sounds to me like you prefer to spincast when dealt lemons! :-o ;-)

k-bob wrote:
unlike some other responses, I often spend more time driving than fishing on a trip. drive 2 hrs, fish 2 hrs, drive home 2 hrs. usually because I want to try a new trib somewhere and beat rush hour traffic back. (I476/the blue route southbound on a weekday afternoon is worth avoiding.)

yep me too.

i hate the rest of you that live near good fishing :-D

I live in Philly. Of course I'm not particularly fussy what I fish for.
Nearest wild trout stream is Valley Creek, maybe 30 minutes on a good day. I live 5 minutes walk from the Schuylkill, just not many places to fly fish. The Wissahickon where I like to fish it is about 15 minutes, mainly for bass and panfish. Ridley Creek between 30-40 minutes. If I'm going to drive any distance it will be more than a 1 day trip. I try to make two trips a year up to central Vermont around a 6 hour drive. The longest trip I make is to Northern Ontario around 800 miles and that's a combination trip using fly and spin fishing gear. Might make a trip this summer to South Dakota this summer to visit my niece and her husband, who promise show me some great trout fishing. Salt water usually Corson's Inlet about a hour and a half drive

Back