How cold is too cold to go fishing

anything below like 68 degrees or so. or wind. any of that. nope. rain? no sir. it's reaching a point where cloud cover is beginning to affect my interest.

there's also too hot, which is definatly anything above like 90. 80-something if i've got something better to do with my day.

When the guides freeze up it's too cold for me. I like it 40 degrees at a minimum.

This morning -20*f (-40*f wind chill) that is too cold for me to even head out on the ice.

Taken last year with around mid teen temp's. This was too cold and prevented me from actually enjoying fishing. I find it more enjoyable to just hike new streams with temp's like these.

Attachments

• rps20150220_171948.jpg
    rps20150220_171948.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 6
There's a fair bit of ice on Spring Creek above Bellefonte. That doesn't happen very often.

That's when it's too cold.

It's still too cold.

PennypackFlyer wrote:

Fiveweight - depends on how fast and far you can run.

Exactly. LOL!

pcray1231 wrote:
At 10 degrees, it's not just the guides. The whole line freezes up to about 1/2" thick. Casting it breaks it, in places, and the thing appears to be a bunch of candlesticks with the wick still connecting them. You can still cast, but even if your guides are completely ice free, you lose the ability to strip or reel line through the guides because the iced line is too thick. So you got what you got out and can cast it back and forth. Till you hook a fish. Then all you can do is back up and drag the thing on the bank and then run down and get it.

No thanks.

In the 20's, you just gotta worry about the guides. That, I'm fine with.
This is just one of the bonuses of tight line nymphing this time of year, the above is not an issue.

or with Tenkara...

pcray1231 wrote:
At 10 degrees, it's not just the guides. The whole line freezes up to about 1/2" thick. Casting it breaks it, in places, and the thing appears to be a bunch of candlesticks with the wick still connecting them. You can still cast, but even if your guides are completely ice free, you lose the ability to strip or reel line through the guides because the iced line is too thick. So you got what you got out and can cast it back and forth. Till you hook a fish. Then all you can do is back up and drag the thing on the bank and then run down and get it.

Not to mention that if the stream is that cold, it's not just slush and bank ice to deal with. But anchor ice begins to form under your feet as you stand there.

No thanks.

In the 20's, you just gotta worry about the guides. That, I'm fine with.

Cray,

While this may be true for most streams, places that luv2nymph and I fish, the water is warm enough to combat the candlesticking completely. I'm sure your experiences make sense, as that may be what you have where you are.... In our situation, the guides will freeze of course, but dipping the rod in the water for 10 seconds and even the hardiest of ice disappears quickly, 20 degrees, 10, etc.

This year I have been throwing my 8wt around with orvis hydros intermediate clear sink tip line. A little chapstick on the clear sink tip
and guides and I've had little issues with ice even at 8 degrees.

Its too cold if the water is frozen.

Back