How cold is too cold to go fishing

A

addictedangler

As I get older my ideas have changed a little. If my guides are freezing I hang up the fly rod unless I had to travel any distance. Then it is time to stand on the ice and drill little holes to fish. Some where around 5 or 10 deg. with wind I kick the easy chair back and look outside through the picture window. Lets give some tips for cold weather fishing.

Example: Put lip balm on your guides to keep water from freezing on them.

At this point in my life, anything under 40's.

I like the follow the over 40 degree rule too. Some winters there are a lot of those days. This year, not so much! I haven't been out in over a month. There was one day back in November that was in the teens. I went out with AkDan76 and we had some of the best dry fly fishing I've seen all year!

Like many of you, my tolerance for cold weather fishing is not what it was when I was younger.

Nevertheless, I'll still fish in cold temps, including below freezing. Frozen guides can be a nuisance, but are tolerable at temps in the upper teens or 20s. Obviously, appropriate clothing is needed and a hand warmer makes a world of difference. Slow fishing and short trips, maybe a couple hours on the water at most, make winter trout fishing fun. For me, two things that limit winter fishing are unplowed parking areas and the fact that I need to drive 30 - 50 minutes to get to streams that fish well in the cold. If I was closer and had 4WD to get in and out of pull offs, I'd fish more in winter.

Generally speaking, to answer the question, temps from about mid teens and colder are roughly the limit for me. At this point, the gear freezing and ice and safety issues start to be deal breakers.

"How cold is too cold to go fishing?"

Let's see. How cold is it right now?

Going to be in the 30s this weekend. I'd consider going ice fishing if I didn't have other things to do.

When the guides freeze.

When the cold is biting way more than the fish!

I have been out fishing where every other cast I have had to pop the ice out of the eyes of the flyrod. I think the coldest I have fished was around 10 degrees.

Never drop your rod and reel in the water when it's below 32.

when its cold enough for good goose hunting

That's cool. I only hunt the bad geese. ;-)

The coldest I have ever fished in was about 10 F.

I really don't mind the cold that much. Just dress warm, maybe not go as far from the car. A little guide ice isn't that big of a deal to me, either. It's annoying, but not a show stopper.

But when the fly line starts candlesticking things get tough. I'd say that mark is about 20ish.

I can tell you this. Fishing in 20 degree weather is way more pleasant than fishing in 40 degree weather with leaky waders.

Which reminds me, I need another new pair.

I'm only in my early 30s, and I don't bother if its below 40. It just isn't as enjoyable for me if im dealing with frozen guides, handwarmers etc. The trout could probably use a break too. The exception would be if I ever started fishing steelhead, which I don't foresee any time soon.

huntfish wrote:
when its cold enough for good goose hunting
This is the truth. Nothing warms you up like bustin' birds!

When your glass rod shatters on the forward power stroke. LOL! Cold weather fly'n is like ride'n a bike in the rain. Anybody that thinks rain don't hurt has never had it hit you at 60 mile an hour. Ride'n in the rain and fly'n in the cold are just no fun. Never thought it was and at just shy of 55 probably never will. I'll be back on the water soon enough 8 1/2 to 9 months a year is good for me. Well longer If I can get down to Andros or points south. To each their own. See ya on the JL mid March or so.

Someone complained about not being out in a month. I hate to blow that away but between October 13th and today.....out once. Ended up very ill too. It wil be 50.degrees before you know it.

If you get cabin fever from "not getting out", and you are not really into misery, then just dress in warm boots and clothes, and go for a walk outdoors.

Walking on a trail along a stream is best. But if you don't have that near you, just go for a walk any place outdoors. There are parks and trails of some sort near most people in PA.

Good advice, but it would have to be a short walk. Snow is too deep and crusty right now. Heart attack time! But some parks have plowed roads that are hardly used this time of year.

Love to fish in any weather but how does cold weather affect trout when they are taken out of water and exposed to below-freezing air temps?
I thought I had read that ice crystals can form in their gills when the air temp is below freezing and this could be really bad for the trout. Anyone else know about this?

I would fish as long as the streams aren't frozen over, or only leaving a small channel in the middle. If there isn't too much ice on the water, I'd go.

One thing that has really helped me get through this winter is prepping for the coming season by tying. I just started tying this past fall, and it has been really enjoyable and I have a fly box full of dries and nymphs ready for the spring.

Remember, do not put your tongue against anything metal - especially if it's stationary.

Back