Hooks for dry flies

I wonder how many factories in the world make fly fishing hooks.

I don't know, but it can't be that many. I also like Mustard barbless 3xl streamer hooks. They're a winner.

Hooks come and go, except Mustad. I’m not sure why there is no love for a hook that has passed the test of time again and again. They are sharp, but aren’t all hooks, they are cheap, they are battle tested, and they don’t have catchy names likes sticks and stones.

Hooks come and go, except Mustad. I’m not sure why there is no love for a hook that has passed the test of time again and again. They are sharp, but aren’t all hooks, they are cheap, they are battle tested, and they don’t have catchy names likes sticks and stones.
No doubt, Mustad 94840 was the “go to” dry fly hook when I started tying. If you wanted to buy high end hooks back then, Partridge was an option, but not really highly available in all fly shops. If it wasn’t available in your local fly shops, to you it just didn’t exist. That’s just the way it was … IMO kind of refreshing. 😉

For basic dries mostly Partridge and Daiichi. But recently have started using Saber. Their 7214s are identical to the Partridge SLD2s so I’m betting same manufacturer. So far no problems and the price is right (12 bucks/100).

The last time I was at The Evening Hatch in Blakeslee, they told me all their in house tied flies are on Saber hooks.which they stock.

If price doesn't matter TMC.
If price matters Saber.

Daiichi 1100 I like the big eye hooks. :)
Perhaps later this year when the are stocked up (out of 14, and 16's) I'll try they are a good price.
My favorite dry fly hook!

Reactions: CRB
Another vote for daiichi and tiemco. I know they are good. Worth the cost, I hate breaking hooks on fish.

I think you misunderstood me.....I don't like the idea of house brand because I feel like there is a risk of them switching suppliers every so often compared to buying say Tiemco which has probably been the exact same hook for the last 30 years.

Im not knocking your suggestion, in fact im considering it. I was just explaining why I said I avoid house brands in general.
that is a problem with house brands. I experienced that before. Good quality then a complete switch. Why its unclear. Sometimes the house looks for a cheaper source. Sometimes that original source is no loner available or the source changes it without the house's knowledge. One thing I noticed about cheaper bands (this applies to curved scud hooks) is the bends and shapes can vary more. Eyes not completely closed. If you find a good, stable house brand source that's great.I'm not trying to talk you out of it. In addition, my shop carries Daaichi and TMC and I like to shop there. Do I pay a little more (not much for 100 count)? yes. But when I need that spool of tippet or material TODAY, they are there for me.

I will say, I have been backing away from TMC curved scud hooks in sizes 18-22. I have had problems with the hook breaking off (usually when caught on a rock of log). I think the metal is too hard in these small sizes. Anyone else experience this?
To be fair, part of this may be that I like the off set the gap by bending it slightly towards the side on the vice

Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far. There are 1 or 2 fly shops somewhat within driving distance to me, but not quite close enough to justify driving to if I run out of a certain size hook. I wish I did have one closer. I always try to order from PA based businesses regardless.

My whole premise was to take the trusted opinions of the board and order small counts from 3, maybe 4 manufacturers you recommend to try. So far I am leaning towards Daiichi, Fulling Mill, maybe TMC, and I am gonna try those BWO hooks too.

If I can get this done in a timely fashion to remember I will definitely post an update

Keep the discussion going if you have more input!

I think alot of the mustad hooks are now made in China. This may be why they fell out of favor with some.

To be fair, part of this may be that I like the off set the gap by bending it slightly towards the side on the vice
That is fair to say... work-hardening any metal is a real thing.

I will say, I have been backing away from TMC curved scud hooks in sizes 18-22. I have had problems with the hook breaking off (usually when caught on a rock of log). I think the metal is too hard in these small sizes. Anyone else experience this?

Many moon ago I had a similar issue with the TMC 5263, a 2X heavy wire 3XL streamer hook I use for Woolly Buggers. I never buy less than 100 hooks of a single size and I had them in 5 sizes so I was NOT too happy.

I emailed Tiemco and they replaced all 500 hooks with no argument and told me to keep or throw away the old hooks. They are the ONLY TMC hooks I ever had a problem with and that was great customer service so I have nothing but good things to say about Tiemco.

I don't know what TMC "scud" hook you are using but for subsurface work I use the 2X heavy TMC 2457 (only offered down to a size 18) and never had a problem.

If I am tying smaller curved bodied flies 20 - 30; they are most often emergers or midges and for that I use the lighter wire TMC 2488 (which USED to be offered down to size 30) and again never had a problem.

I use Japanese hooks almost exclusively for all of my fishing because in my experience they are the sharpest, stay the sharpest, have the tiniest barbs (if you don't fish barbless exclusively) and are extremely high quality.

I realize it ain't fly fishing but last year I switched over to Gamakatsu bait holder hooks and ditched the Eagle Claw 181's I've been using since I was a kid. Even though I use circle hooks almost exclusively when fishing bait, the Gamakatsu hooks have been a game changer.

Now I set the hook like I'm nymph fishing with a quick short strike on the tiniest movement of my line or float and 100% of the time (so far) every fish I've caught is hooked right in the mouth.

If they helped me I also have a feeling they would be a plus when teaching young kids to fish since most have troubles with setting the hook.

Bottom line, if you drown the occasional worm and haven't tried them, you should...

Japanese and Korean hooks are, by far, the best hooks on the market. I would love to tote that American is better, but I really don't believe that with regards to a lot of manufacturing. Other countries maintain tighter tolerances it seems. This is not true of all materials and products, but those Koreans and Japanese know how to manufacture some high quality stuff.

Obviously, you are free to buy whatever hooks you please, and I am not pushing those BWO hooks on you. I have been pleased with nearly all brands I have ever bought and tied on, but I just cannot afford some brands to stock up on. I would be willing to guarantee that those BWO hooks are contracted from some of the same Korean factories that make Daiichi and other Korean Brands.

When I first got turned onto BWO, I didn't love them because their nymph hooks are 1xl. However, after I started experimenting with all of their offerings and kept buying different styles, they are my only hooks I will buy unless I am at a fly shop and grabbing some stuff and happen to need hooks. They are just so high quality for the money. By now, I have acquired thousands of BWO hooks, and have maybe found one or two duds where the eyelet was pinched shut or something. I just buy those 100 packs of barbless, and it is a steal for the quality.

I do order those Mustad Barbless 3xl from J Stockard too, though, if I am placing an order.

Many moon ago I had a similar issue with the TMC 5263, a 2X heavy wire 3XL streamer hook I use for Woolly Buggers. I never buy less than 100 hooks of a single size and I had them in 5 sizes so I was NOT too happy.

I emailed Tiemco and they replaced all 500 hooks with no argument and told me to keep or throw away the old hooks. They are the ONLY TMC hooks I ever had a problem with and that was great customer service so I have nothing but good things to say about Tiemco.

I don't know what TMC "scud" hook you are using but for subsurface work I use the 2X heavy TMC 2457 (only offered down to a size 18) and never had a problem.

If I am tying smaller curved bodied flies 20 - 30; they are most often emergers or midges and for that I use the lighter wire TMC 2488 (which USED to be offered down to size 30) and again never had a problem.
light wire

Japanese and Korean hooks are, by far, the best hooks on the market. I would love to tote that American is better, but I really don't believe that with regards to a lot of manufacturing.
Eagle Claw hooks are the only hooks made in the USA, correct?

Does anyone here use them for fly fishing?

Back