Hip waders?

D

dhathazy

Anyone able to find a decent pair of felt sole hip waders any more? I do have a pair of Simms waders but honestly most of the streams that I fish, chest waders are really not required. And I like the ease of getting in and out of hip waders relatively quickly.

I am guessing there is way more money in breathable, high tech waders so manufacturers are not bothering to make much in the way of good old fashioned hippers any more.

If anybody knows of a pair the would recommend, please let me know. Thanks.

Ollies had the old-school, rubber lugged hip boots last year for $18. I picked up a pair as a back-up, and ended up wearing them more than my WPB chest waders...

As of last year, ****'s sporting goods had a big bin of assorted cheapo rubber hip waders. Haven't been there lately to know whether they have it again this year.

You're not gonna find them at the high end type places. Fly shops, even Cabelas probably. Look instead at ****'s, K-Mart, Walmart, and maybe some outdoor shops that cater primarily to hunters.

There's still a place for them.

From the fly shops you can get breathable hippers. I have a pair made by Orvis. Frankly, if I were to buy again, I'd get waste highs. More comfortable IMO than hippers, and even on the little streams I tend to crouch in the water a lot, and end up getting my rear end soaked.

I have the Simms G3 convertible waders and after never expanding them to the chest waders I bought the G# guide pant. Pretty close to hippers and typical Simms quality to boot. Id recommend either one....

I am in the process of turning an old pair of chest waders into hippers. I haven't worn them in years and figured it will be easy to convert them over.

Having used "old school" hip boots for decades I can conclude this: They suck.

For the past 2 years I wore Chota "hippies" and I love them. Feather weight, cool in the summer, less resistant in strong currents. The down side? I found the method attachment to a belt or belt loop/ inferior. Just add a carabiner clip to the top to attach to your belt or loop.

They are stocking foot waders that require wading shoes/boots.

outsider wrote:

For the past 2 years I wore Chota "hippies" and I love them. Feather weight, cool in the summer, less resistant in strong currents. The down side? I found the method attachment to a belt or belt loop/ inferior. Just add a carabiner clip to the top to attach to your belt or loop.

It also "sucks" to tear up an expensive pair of breathable waders in the rugged areas that I often hike into to fish small WT streams.
I've been using the rubber proline hip boots from ****s for many years now. And they definitely take a beating - and I honestly don't find them real uncomfortable to fish in.
To each his own I guess

I like the ****s hip waders as well but I only use them when putting my boat back on the trailer in cold water.

MKern wrote:
I am in the process of turning an old pair of chest waders into hippers. I haven't worn them in years and figured it will be easy to convert them over.

A couple of years ago I converted neoprene waders into hip boots. Worked out well for cold weather shallow water fishing. The down side: like pcray stated, wet butt while kneeling.

Cabela's sells a bunch of different styles of hip boots. There's a pair of felt sole boots on sale now for $50

Check out Chota's Hippers. I am a big believer in their boots. I regret purchasing a pair of Simms Boas over the Chotas. I will be going back soon.

SBecker wrote:
Check out Chota's Hippers. I am a big believer in their boots. I regret purchasing a pair of Simms Boas over the Chotas. I will be going back soon.

Does this validate what I stated above?

Thanks for the feedback all. I did find a pair of Orvis Endura hippers from Slate Run Tackle on Ebay. Looks like Orivs doesn't even carry them any more so the price was right! Might also get a pair of the cheapies at ****s for a backup.

I guess being an old bastard who grew up wearing hip boots, I still find them more comfotable for most of the fishing I do haha!

Thanks again.

dryflyguy wrote:
outsider wrote:

It also "sucks" to tear up an expensive pair of breathable waders in the rugged areas that I often hike into to fish small WT streams.
I've been using the rubber proline hip boots from ****s for many years now. And they definitely take a beating - and I honestly don't find them real uncomfortable to fish in.
To each his own I guess

Agreed, hippers surely have their place. And those small streams are it, I finally bought a pair of pant height waders for the warmer weather and love them. Just not on brush choked streams.

I used to prefer hippers, the stocking foot with the pull down gravel guard. Hodgman stopped making them so now I use Cabela's breathable waist hi for about $130. I going into my third year with them.

I still miss the stocking foot hippers w/ the gravel guard.

Hodgeman replaced their rubber hippers with a vinyl styl that is 40% lighter and more durable. I ve used them for the past two seasons and they are great and keep me cool. Plus they are only $40 at wal mart and sexy enough that I managed to get a friend to model them.

Sorry upload failed lol ;)

I just purchased a pair of Frogg Toggs "Canyon" stocking foot hip waders. They fit very well, are lightweight and comfortable. I bought them to use on small streams and for summer use when even my wading pants can be hot to wear. I have not tried them in the water yet but will in the near future. I think they are new on the market and retail at $79.95. I will give a report after I use them a few times.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I just purchased a pair of Frogg Toggs "Canyon" stocking foot hip waders. They fit very well, are lightweight and comfortable. I bought them to use on small streams and for summer use when even my wading pants can be hot to wear. I have not tried them in the water yet but will in the near future. I think they are new on the market and retail at $79.95. I will give a report after I use them a few times.

Their old stocking foot hippers were very narrow at the ankle. I'd be interested in how easy the Canyon comes off the ankle.

RCFetter wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

Their old stocking foot hippers were very narrow at the ankle. I'd be interested in how easy the Canyon comes off the ankle.
They are still narrow but I had no trouble getting the gravel guards down and over my wading boots. I had a pair of their waist highs and they were the same way.

Back