Hilton Head Island SC, May 23-28

albatross

albatross

The week after the jam, I'll be with my family on Hilton Head Island. I haven't been able to find much informaton online about fly fishing in the area other than guided trips on a boat.

Looks like there are opportunities in the surf. I think the real fishing is on the mud flats in the estuaries, but I'm not sure if this is accessible without a boat.

Any tips or information appreciated.

I don't know about Hilton head but back on the 18th april I was up at Jekyell Island ga..
I was stunned to see the water in the ocean,back bays, inlets all around these famous rich get aways was thick with MUD.So thick when I walked in the ocean and stepped out my legs were caked with mud-I have never seen this before.
They bait fish off piers and the surf but no way could you lure or fly fish these waters-
If you haven't, might check with someone there and ask if they have the same problem.
Not the case 50 miles south in Fl. so could be a local thing.
You will be about 70 miles north.
I was informed in spite of the muddy waters they get some of the biggest reds anywhere at Jekyell and St.Simons island so you could get some big ones in the back bay-good luck.
Forgot to mention-don't even think about wading the tidal mud flats .Bottomless

oops wasted your time-googled up water conditions at Hilton Head-seems they don't have the Ga. mud-sorry about that-good luck.

Thanks Pete. I may just have to feel it out when I get there.

Back