Hi guys I caught this awesome fish at the Ken Lockwood Gorge over the border in NJ this weekend. I'd really appreciate some support on my new YT!

can we all agree to get back to talking about how nice of a fish the OP caught?

what was your rod and reel choice?

zebra midges are great in the winter. however i am surprised a stocked bow didnt take your san jaun worm. most likely that fish was a hold over from the fall stocking back in oct. and has come to liking eating insects in that section of river which is plentiful. also, the fly shop at the top of the gorge stocks fish as well.

i think its safe to say that youll be back there fishing soon. its a gem for the state of jersey. i suggest you explore more of that stretch. great fishing everywhere

for whats its worth. the OP has posted this same thread on another website and its nothing but " congratulations" and " nice trout" and " beautiful trout".

and that went on for over three pages.

congrats on your rainbow. and get back out there for more!

What stream born trout species lives in there? I remember i used to fish the raritan below there i believe growing up, always thought it was all stocked?
All three. Maybe not bows in the gorge though. Haven't fished there in some time. Limited brook trout although they are there. Tons of browns.

Oh lol scrolled back up, got my streams crossed

It is a big fish, I will agree, but stockies don't do it for me. I know, I sound like a brat but I know I am not the only one on this forum that feels that way. I have caught quite a few very hefty bows, some of which looked pristine like they had been in the stream for quite a while......but I would rather trade a 25" stockie bow for a 18" wild brown......

I am not knocking the catch by the OP, just stating what makes my trout angling happiness tick.

It is a big fish, I will agree, but stockies don't do it for me. I know, I sound like a brat but I know I am not the only one on this forum that feels that way. I have caught quite a few very hefty bows, some of which looked pristine like they had been in the stream for quite a while......but I would rather trade a 25" stockie bow for a 18" wild brown......

I am not knocking the catch by the OP, just stating what makes my trout angling happiness tick.
I am with you 100% I also feel that way about bobber nymphing. I will do it if i have too, but prefer swing wets and fishing drys to wild fish. I guess we kind of focus on what we really enjoy as we get older and have fly fished for years.

Agree. And, I'd rather catch a 12" native brookie than a 25" stocker bow, OR an 18" wild brown. ;)

can we all agree to get back to talking about how nice of a fish the OP caught?

what was your rod and reel choice?

zebra midges are great in the winter. however i am surprised a stocked bow didnt take your san jaun worm. most likely that fish was a hold over from the fall stocking back in oct. and has come to liking eating insects in that section of river which is plentiful. also, the fly shop at the top of the gorge stocks fish as well.

i think its safe to say that youll be back there fishing soon. its a gem for the state of jersey. i suggest you explore more of that stretch. great fishing everywhere
Thanks so much Kyle! My rod and reel was the TFO Black Label 5 weight combo. And yes, Shannon's is a national treasure, last two times I stopped by they were closed - not sure what that's about. I figure they might just be open some days at the moment and will go back to full time in the spring but I don't know nothin! They have been known to stock some big fish in Califon. If I remember correctly they stocked an absolute monster 25+ inch brown a few years ago with a prize of a free rod to whoever caught it. The gorge will always be my favorite spot to fish or just walk the dogs in Hunterdon county. I'm disappointed I haven't seen a black bear there yet!

And yes, Shannon's is a national treasure, last two times I stopped by they were closed - not sure what that's about. I figure they might just be open some days at the moment and will go back to full time in the spring but I don't know nothin! They have been known to stock some big fish in Califon. If I remember correctly they stocked an absolute monster 25+ inch brown a few years ago with a prize of a free rod to whoever caught it.
Shannons is now under new management and is called South Branch Outfitters. After the passing of Jim Holland last year it was purchased by a very nice couple who are doing a great job keeping the tradition of Les Shannon and Jim Holland. They were remodeling the interior but should be open 7days a week now. Let’s hope they bring back the “Bubba” contest next year. I’m pretty sure I caught a post-contest Bubba last year downstream of KLG. It was a fat 23” Bow with a jaw tag scar.

Shannons is now under new management and is called South Branch Outfitters. After the passing of Jim Holland last year it was purchased by a very nice couple who are doing a great job keeping the tradition of Les Shannon and Jim Holland. They were remodeling the interior but should be open 7days a week now. Let’s hope they bring back the “Bubba” contest next year. I’m pretty sure I caught a post-contest Bubba last year downstream of KLG. It was a fat 23” Bow with a jaw tag scar.

Omg thank you for the info Jim! I'm still yet to catch a big south branch brown - maybe one day. I'm going to try and stop by and check out the shop today. That is so sad to hear about the passing of Jim Holland.

I fished raritan below kenlockwood as a kid loved that stream in the valley along the gravel road. Id sit up at night waiting for my dad to wake me up and drive me out there. Good times

Anyone still hit Werner’s hole on big flat brook? It was just a stocker spot when i was a kid

Omg why does everything have to turn into a brook trout thread!!

Congratulations to the OP. Great fish!!
Uh, no he didn't. This was not a conservation thread.

To the OP, nice fish!!!!
You all must be new here ;-)

Every thread HAS to circle back to stocking/invasives/conservation/speculation. I think it's in the fine print of the site terms and conditions. Just to be contrarian, I may post up some actual fishing stories soon! I saw a few other board members do so recently. They were refreshing to read. I'm surprised the posters didn't get banned.

Good fish. That is a typical (maybe a little above average) 2 year old fall stocked fish. Looks like the New Jersey strain which was developed in 1914 at the Hackettstown hatchery to highlight the red side band.

The surplus breeders go out in the spring and typically are about 5 lbs and occasionally reach 10 lbs (need a special net if you get a 10 lbs fish in the mix). 2% of loads are surplus breeders until they run out, which is usually pre-season and first week of stocking and rarely the second week. Maybe you can get a new record then.

I’m a lifetime Joisey resident all my life . Born in Jersey City, grew up in Hudson and Bergen Counties. College in New Brunswick and graduate school in Camden. I’m 73 and never fished the SB Raritan. I must not get out much. 🤔

I’m a lifetime Joisey resident all my life . Born in Jersey City, grew up in Hudson and Bergen Counties. College in New Brunswick and graduate school in Camden. I’m 73 and never fished the SB Raritan. I must not get out much. 🤔
fish it! for trout its my second favorite river. the musky is first. but for smallmouth and carp the SB is my first choice

Back