Hexes!

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I just got back from a week long trip in Vermillion ohio. On Saturday we woke up to hexes being all over the entire house. The birds were plucking them ou of the grass, and they covered every window and door. Just figured I'd fill people in.

I took some pictures and will be sure to post them as soon as I can.

what stream(s) do you fish there,ryguyfi?

I tossed some flies in the Lake, but no dice. The Vermillion river was a stones throw away and I'm assuming that's where they came from. They get a run of steel there, and it looks like a good warm water stream. It was my first time in the area and was a "family" vacation so I didn't fish much at all.

I guess some would be coming from the nearby rivers(The V, Black, Rocky, etc.), but most of them I believe come from the lake. Some of the walleye and perch guys actually get pretty mad because I guess the fishing slows down since the fish now have a new food source.

I remember going to a Browns game(pre-season, so it was during late Aug.) and the hexes were all over the stadium! It was crazy. If the big lake run smallies were still in the rivers I'm wondering if they'd be eating on top? 4-5lb smallies on hexes would be awesome.

4 to 5 lb smallies on anything would be awesome! However, the hex hatches are pretty cool. I never was real prepared with a good imitation to actually fish a hex hatch for smallies I generally just find myself standing in the middle of the stream watching it unfold around me. Maybe someone could chime in about some patterns or techniques that have proved effective for them during a hex hatch.

Back