Help with nymphing

salmo

salmo

I confess, I suck at nymph fishing. I try and try and try and usually wind up switching back to dry flies. I'm venting 42 years of frustration!!! I will be fishing some small, relatively shallow spring creeks. I was hoping to fish an elk hair caddis (18) with a zebra midge dropper. How much tippet from the dry to the dropper and should I weight it? I'll probably lose the rig in the bushes anyway.
:oops:

The length would depend on the depth of the stream. I like to keep the nymph off the bottom of the stream but not too high in the water column. The thought is if I'm hoping for the trout to take the dry, they shouldn't have a problem moving to get the nymph even if it's not smacking them in the face. My typical dropper length is between 12"-18". I find that if I have too much more than that it gets tangled and I get angry.

I am new to fly fishing so take this with a grain of salt. I have only been able to catch fish with nymphs and streamers. My though is if you want to learn to nymph skip the dry dropper and try some of the anywhere/anytime nymph patters in size 14-18 and go nymphing. I have had lots of success recently fishing under an indicator with #16 bh prince nymphs with and without a #20 zebra midge tied off of the bend.

I found getting the depth/drift right had more impact on my success then the pattern I chose so limiting yourself to the 12"-18" depth on a dry dropper combo isn't appealing. I am constantly changing depth in an attempt to do get the nymphs to the fish. I did find using an indicator as I learned to nymph immensely helpful because coming from a bait chucker background I was unable to detect any strikes by watching my leader. If you use an indicator set the hook anytime the indicator does anything but float downstream. If it pauses for a second, moves unexpectedly, etc set the hook.

I have also found fishing broken water/riffles much more productive than fishing flat slow pools.

Thanks for the responses. I will let all know how successful I was next week.

Good luck. Where are you fishing next week?

I thought this was a pretty darn good article on nymphing.

https://troutbitten.com/2016/06/08/one-great-nymphing-trick/

Doesn't answer your specific question but figured I'd share it.

salmo wrote:
I confess, I suck at nymph fishing. I try and try and try and usually wind up switching back to dry flies. I'm venting 42 years of frustration!!! I will be fishing some small, relatively shallow spring creeks. I was hoping to fish an elk hair caddis (18) with a zebra midge dropper. How much tippet from the dry to the dropper and should I weight it? I'll probably lose the rig in the bushes anyway.
:oops:
Nymphing a small shallow spring creek isn't easy and might not be the best way to work on your nymphing. Personally, I rarely straight nymph small spring creeks, I go with a dry dropper. Now on larger freestone rivers I'm a highsticker. I take my 10 footer and go to work. Just saying different plans for different situations.

ryansheehan wrote:
Nymphing a small shallow spring creek isn't easy and might not be the best way to work on your nymphing. [/quote]

Agreed. When starting out nymphing, you're much better off fishing streams with more rocky, riffly structure.

High gradient or at least medium gradient streams. The majority of streams in PA are medium gradient.

That is much easier to do than nymphing on low gradient streams. , You'll catch fish, which will keep you from getting discouraged as you develop your skills.

Single nymph is your friend

Dear Member and posters:

Thanks so much for the good advice. I fished the small spring creek. The water was clear (slightly milky), low and 62 degrees. I fished a size 18 tan, elk hair caddis and dropped a size 22 bead-head zebra midge off about 12-14 inches of 7x fluorocarbon. I managed to land two browns on the nymph and one on the dry. I missed several others on the dry and saw a few "flashes" to the nymph.

This was one of my most successful nymphing experiences in the past several years. My biggest problem was in getting the dropper wrapped up in the leader.

Thanks again.

Back