Help selecting fly line...

drews

drews

Ok I have been fly fishing for several years, but recently began getting little more serious. I usually only fish streams that are very small so the line selection isn't really that important, to me anyway. Been using a wonderline floating for all dry and streamer fishing, Usually go to the same stream in a 10 mile stretch, but this year I plan on expanding my horizons.

I will be fishing some much bigger water and need a line for dry fly fishing for my new 5 wt. I read WF TP bla bla ... Im looking for any all suggestions here... I have a couple Orvis lines since my buddies dad pres of local TU chapter and I got them at the banquet at great deal and they said they would work... I don't have a "favorite brand" so any help appreciated... Thanks

I usually go with weight forward lines on all my rods. Just my preference really. If you go with a weight forward due to the taper you can jump up one line size. For instance, if your rod calls for a 5 weight you can go with a 6 weight in a weight forward.

Didn't say there was a problem with wonderline. I'm looking for little advice on the exact type guys thinks is best suited for strictly dry fly fishing. I know it's a floating line but it's all the other options well say that are out there. Wf dt shooting etc.

drews wrote:
Didn't say there was a problem with wonderline. I'm looking for little advice on the exact type guys thinks is best suited for strictly dry fly fishing.

Any floating DT will work just fine. Cortland sylk has a 10' long front taper, the longest I've seen. That will give you gentle turnover for your dry flies.

Most other DT lines have a front taper of 5-6'. Wonderline splits this to 5'6" if you're looking to compare.

drews wrote:
Ok I have been fly fishing for several years, but recently began getting little more serious. I usually only fish streams that are very small so the line selection isn't really that important, to me anyway. Been using a wonderline floating for all dry and streamer fishing, Usually go to the same stream in a 10 mile stretch, but this year I plan on expanding my horizons.

I will be fishing some much bigger water and need a line for dry fly fishing for my new 5 wt. I read WF TP bla bla ... Im looking for any all suggestions here... I have a couple Orvis lines since my buddies dad pres of local TU chapter and I got them at the banquet at great deal and they said they would work... I don't have a "favorite brand" so any help appreciated... Thanks

I would recommend a WF line for the bigger water you plan to fish with your 5wt. Most DT & WF line have similar tapers, but WF tapers down to a running line usually somewhere between 35 - 40'. The thinner running line is made to shoot through the guides to extend your cast.

Attachments

• fly line taper diag.jpg
    fly line taper diag.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 8
If this line will be used primarily for dry flies I would recommend the Rio Trout LT (Light Touch). LT Line

I use this line for dries and love it. It's a WF 5f and the front taper is close to 40' and it lays down real soft and works well with both larger and smaller dries.

drews wrote:
Didn't say there was a problem with wonderline. I'm looking for little advice on the exact type guys thinks is best suited for strictly dry fly fishing. I know it's a floating line but it's all the other options well say that are out there. Wf dt shooting etc.

Ok, I guess I was/am just confused. You currently have Orvis Wonderline which is an overall good line. Is there something you don't like about it that is causing you to change lines?

I think he just wants to see what other people use? Wonderline doesn't have the right talking points like fancy high end named lines do.

I'd be happy if someone wants to give me their used Wonderlines, though. I could use an 8WF and a 6DT, please. :)

I use WF easymend wonderline for dry fly fishing, streamers, nymphing and everything else I do to catch fish. I would just stay with that, shoots like a rocket, floats, durable, stays supple. Can't ask for much more in a line

Thanks for all the input guys. I am very uneducated about fly lines. The info on taper Wf etc is what I was looking for sorry if I comfused anyone. Guess now all I need is the best deal. Again thanks for the input

Get a weight forward floating line for a 5 weight rod (WF, F, 5WT).

I wouldn't worry about brand, color, or any other type fly line at this point in your progression. There are all kinds of specialty fly lines (often expensive) for specific applications - don't worry about 'em until you become more advanced.

I like double taper lines. They work fine and you cut your cost in half, because you can reverse the line when you wear out the one end.

Cortland 444 is a good one.

drews wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I am very uneducated about fly lines. The info on taper Wf etc is what I was looking for sorry if I comfused anyone. Guess now all I need is the best deal. Again thanks for the input

You'll notice every post gives you a different answer, too.

If you plan on fishing average streams, creeks, and things called rivers that are probably streams, buy a properly sized floating 5DT line. Without having to cast the running line, but just casting body, it will go easier. Without having to turn that running line to body over, it'll also roll cast easier. When you abuse one end to oblivion at the end of this season or next, flip it, retie it, and fish the clean side.

If, on the other hand, you expect to regularly make 40'+ casts and shooting line on that last cast, a weight forward comes into its own. Because you're going to regularly shoot out a blast of line at the end, the shorter body into the thin "running line" after the head will make for better distance.

As FI said, don't worry about the specifics too much. You will begin to understand the differences after you pick something and begin to see how it functions. Holding other people's rods for a test cast or two will help you better understand what's going on eventually, although realize every rod is different, and every little thing factors into the over all feel (rod length, action, leader, fly or flies).

Orvis Wonderline is perfectly fine, and it was free. When you feel you've got the concepts of what you're doing down, and you think there's a failure somewhere in what you're doing, a different line and its attendant taper change will make differences.

An example is up there, someone posted Rio LT. That's a long, gradual front taper line. Now, I only have a basic idea of what's going on in life, and fishing, but I know that a long front taper will help in pealing off all the unspent energy in a cast, lending to a better presentation. I also know that will be a different stroke, feel, and quite probably a little more work to get better performance out of than a simpler front taper to a line, because the shorter taper will let more energy in the line go into the leader and the fly. At this point, I can see where that sort of long front would pay off for some of my rods, versus being counter productive in others.

Another example is Cortland Sylk. Its got a smaller diameter, and more mass in the line. Its also got a 10' front taper versus a 5.5' front taper. You learn the following facts: The thinner diameter will cut through the air better, and smaller guides (its raison d'etre). A longer front taper will lead to a gentler presentation (and because its denser, probably a little more sinking than a big fat floater). I also know from using it that it illicits a different feel in the rod than a Scientific Anglers GPX, a line designed to be about 50% heavier than the AFTMA recommended line weight. In some places, I consider it to have advantages.

So, taking that into mind, I own a lovely "moderate-fast" 4wt rod. Its a do anything sort of stick. I normally wind it with GPX 4WFF, because I was told that no one buys DT lines anymore. In my normal fishing use, that's fine. The extra weight helps hold the line, the distances I fish are rarely long enough I'm trying to roll or cast, the thinner running line. That works fantastic if I need to put a couple of flies out there, some weight, a bigger streamer, etc. It also presents dry flies with aplomb. But, if I were going to wake up early and fish size 24 tricos, I'd probably leave the GPX at home and opt for the Sylk 4DTF. Why? Longer front taper should result in a gentler presentation, meaning I can see a use for the physical dimension changes in line taper and design.

Does any of it really matter? No. You can go fishing with anything, and make it as complex or as simple as you like.

Again thank you to all and its like anything else I see you can get buried under all the specifics... I have been fly fishing for several years now and I guess Im getting to the point where Im curious what would work better for me and since I plan on using this line on my trip to montana this summer for the dries I will be fishing so perhaps WFF will be tha best choice for there, but around home Im under the impression (since the streams I fish are quite small) that the old DT would be just fine. Again thanks for all the help guys, as always the input from people on this site is very useful...

Funny, I was looking for new line also and was considering the Orvis wonderline. I read some reviews and several folks were claiming that the first 4-6 ft. of line kept sinking. Anyone here have that experience? I ended up buying Rio gold and really like it.

Back