Help me catch my first fish -- Loyalsock Creek/World's End State Park

If the sock is low the tribs will be too.
The temp may be okay, but the O2 level may be low.

Can't say enough how much I appreciate all the advice here.

So I looked ahead at the predicted forecast for next weekend. If the predictions hold there'll be rain on Thursday and Friday. I'm getting up there Friday afternoon.

Bad news for the wife who doesn't like to get wet, but could this be good news for the fish?

I wouldn't expect the rain to do a lot. If everything is parched, it'll just get soaked up and the stream will get little.

Now the tribs may start to fill back up.

However, the rain may cool things off and keep water temps down to not stress the fish.

Watch the weather the Loyalsock is probably going to be too warm this summer for trout, so fish the tribs, there you'll have the advantage of fishing mostly brookie streams and actually catching fish. Keep in mind that fishing mid-day during the summer can be un-productive and the fish may not be feeding. It is best to fish very early and very late during the peak of summer.

I think you may have been poured on. My advice is a bit late this time around, but as everyone has said when it is this hot, with so little rain, gotta go in the woods-the deep woods. I'm not too familiar with that far west, but I believe you were approaching near where the public trust was violated and King Rendell donated our State Forests.

I would stay around Ricketts Glenn State Park next time and try to fish Game Lands 57 and Game Lands 13. Get a mountain bike, a lot of water, and go exploring the beginnings of the Mehoopany Creek Watershed, Bowman's Creek.........and then go to SGL 13 and Explore the head waters of Fishing Creek. This is real exploring, take a compass, and some topo maps. If nobody surveys all those streams in that area, the gas companies are going suck them dry.

Even though you're a beginner, often times exploring the forest and the little streams is much more fun than staring at water that has seen 10,000 men. And you will definitely remember those little brook trout 10 years from now.

Alright, I'm back. Yep, I got poured on. Yep, my tent leaked. Yep, wife made us go home early once the sleeping bags got soaked. And yep, didn't catch any fish.

Saw plenty of brook trouts and did everything I could think of to coax them to bite but nothing.

Water was really warm. My 2 year old and I had a great time lazily floating in a raft in the warm creek. Trip was worth it just for this.

One day I will catch a fish, but this weekend wasn't it!

@Brownout: I am going to start a thread along the lines of that topic in a minute

@everyone else: Thanks for your advice, I'm going to keep at it and your suggestions will be helpful next time around.

Back