Help, if you can

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
From the PFBC site:

"We need stocking help in S. Chester Co. Only eight people braved the cold and ice this week to come out and help us stock. Of those eight, one was a Deputy who helped with traffic. Two had medical issues which makes it hard for them to carry 30 pound buckets of fish. One just followed along because he likes to write down where we stock, and two that we had to send ahead to cut holes in the ice at a few of the stocking locations.

It is not really reasonable for those of you who do not come out to help to always rely on your fellow sportsmen to do all the stocking. Consider coming out on our next stocking and help get these fish in the water so that we can have a great Regional Opening Day of Trout Season."

Link to source: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/splsero.htm

Stocking schedules by County here.

I live in Berks Co, but I'm about a 3/4 sand wedge from the Chester County line. I'll see about getting Friday 03/20 off to help with the Pickering stocking. Anybody else interested? Fish Valley after?

Thanks for the reminder Tom.
Will help out ovr the next few weeks

Yo Tom

I got mixed up with the WCFGW notice on the 26Feb cancellation. Friday, The Sporting Gentleman sent out a plea for help on Darby Creek and other Delaware County streams, so I skipped lunch and zipped over to help, armed with a gigantic ice breaking tool. The snow on the trees was gorgeous, the sun was wonderfully warm and I had dressed appropriately. Our turnout had several other impromptu guys who responded to the same EMail and the dozen or so of us was just enough to make the stocking job go pretty well, despite the copious snow and some ice.

We didn't appear to have any lame hangers-on who were there only to see where the trouts were put in. At one of the parks, where a lot of kids and families were enjoying sledding in the perfect sledding snow, we attracted some interested citizens, and one lady even stopped taking pictures and gave us a hand. Nothing like citizen volunteers: maybe we created a new angler.

I could help if theres any 1apr dates or later.

Sounds great, Les.

I'm sure some of us can drive down from Altoona or Allentown if AKDan is willing to fly down from Alaska to stock!

The stocking schedule in the link including the entire state by county, date and includes the time and place to meet the stocking truck. Tough year for the PFBC workers to stock. I'm sure any help will be appreciated.

Afish,

Thanks for posting this request and I suspect that it would apply to all counties across the state, although this specific request was for Chester Co and the part of Lancaster Co that Tom now covers. Many streams are still locked up with ice and as a result in my career I have never seen this many schedule changes and temporary cancellations as I have seen in the past week.

Switching schedules at the last minute in order to at least get some of the more open streams stocked has posed problems as well for some WCO's in assembling stocking crews. Any additional help from those who don't normally participate would be appreciated I am sure.

Mike

I have a friend who lives a stones throw away from pickering and I am sure would love to help. If someone could shoot me a PM of who or what he needs to do to help I will pass it along to him

Afish,

I wish I had that kind of money and time off to be able to fly and help. But I will be in the area and don't mind working! I'll have to look up the counties when I get a tick.

from WCFFers :

Stocking help Needed on West Branch of the Octararo Fly Fishing section

They need help float stocking the west Branch of the Octoraro on
Saturday March 21 . Please call Bernie Cordivano 717-786-3820 if you can help.

cheers

Mark

Geebee..Will be there with my son on Saturday.

As a newbie to this what do I need to do? Just show up? Do I need waders and/or other stuff to help?

To help with stocking, all you need to do is show up at the meeting place. You don't need waders, but I would recommend wearing some sort of boot. it's probably going to be muddy along the creek. When the stock truck stops along the creek, pull over, walk over to the truck and tell the people you want to help.

One just followed along because he likes to write down where we stock, ....

Amazing.

Simply amazing.

I'm just sitting here shaking my head.....

ColdBore wrote:
One just followed along because he likes to write down where we stock, ....

Amazing.

Simply amazing.

I'm just sitting here shaking my head.....

yup. as i said on the other thread - i'd call em out. thats not fishing is it really.

I helped once on the Yough with a coop stocking because one of our members reached out for help. It was quite a drive, but not one I haven't taken to fish, so I decided to help because they seemed desperate for volunteers. As I turned into the tail race park/campground, I saw cars lined up and filling the lot. I was a little agitated that the stocking crew seemed so desperate and here were all these people.

So, you know the rest of the story by now, I am sure. When I got to the work crew there were about 12 of us. The other hundred anglers were staking out their fishing spot for when the few of us came and dumped the trout in.

Yo billf

I just got back from my 2nd round of helping stock French Creek. Check the Fish Commission site for schedules: http://fbweb.pa.gov/stocking/TroutStockingDetails_GIS.aspx

Tomorrow is Darby Creek in Delaware County just down West Chester Pike Rte 3; then Thursday is East Branch and West Valley, meeting at Kerr Park in downtown Downingtown; Friday is Pickering and more French Creek.

I put waders on today to help with float stocking and got a nice workout as the water was running a bit high. In general, most of the volunteers wore LL Bean type rubber shoes or Wellingtons as there were muddy spots near the streams. You do want to show up on time because once the caravan starts down the road, you may not be able to find them en route if you aren't really familiar with the stocking sequence.

JackM wrote:
I helped once on the Yough with a coop stocking because one of our members reached out for help. It was quite a drive, but not one I haven't taken to fish, so I decided to help because they seemed desperate for volunteers. As I turned into the tail race park/campground, I saw cars lined up and filling the lot. I was a little agitated that the stocking crew seemed so desperate and here were all these people.

So, you know the rest of the story by now, I am sure. When I got to the work crew there were about 12 of us. The other hundred anglers were staking out their fishing spot for when the few of us came and dumped the trout in.

Yep.

I've experienced the same on a few random ATWs. There's a gazillion cars following the truck, but only a handful of us actually help with the stockings.......and that's including the WCOs.

If you're physically able to fish, you're fit enough to carry a few buckets!

I'm ready help at Pickering this Friday. Will they still be stocking if we get the weather they are predicting?

I am out...will need to be at work tomorrow due to the predicted snow. (Auto insurance claims...we get busier when it snows.)

Back