Help fly fishing Lackawanna river

lonekimono

lonekimono

Hi everyone. I must say I never have any luck fishing this river. I understand that some of the browns are tough to catch. I have fished from Moosic to Dickinson city. I don't know if it is fly selection or presentation. I never catch any fish no matter which part of the river I fish. I bring my son along. I would really like him to hook up with one of those beautiful browns! Any suggestions for fishing this river would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

lonekimono wrote:
Hi everyone. I must say I never have any luck fishing this river. I understand that some of the browns are tough to catch. I have fished from Moosic to Dickinson city. I don't know if it is fly selection or presentation. I never catch any fish no matter which part of the river I fish. I bring my son along. I would really like him to hook up with one of those beautiful browns! Any suggestions for fishing this river would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Not knowing where or how you fish, I suggest you stop in or give A&G Outfitters a call. The shop is right on the Lack and they can help you out with where and how to fly-fish the river. > https://www.agoutfitters.com/

But, right now the Lack is kind of low and warm in most spots. Here is the latest Stream report from A&G >
https://www.agoutfitters.com/lackawanna

Loki, never fished the Lakawanna. How- ever send your address to P O Box 2 Muncy pa. 17756. I will send some leaders and flies to you. I will study the hatches, feeding times, water quality, length of river and tribs. etc. When I say I am on it , you got to believe! Nothing better than to see your children hook up. A very powerful experience! Hook up fishing, means your generally hooked for life! Powerful, Powerful, writing. I like it a lot! Means I am on a mission and have to stay alive, just a little bit longer!

Evolution Leaders, P O Box 2 , Muncy Pa. 17756

Maxima12

My work schedule makes it difficult to get out much but the Lack is "my home" river.(BTW I work near your neighborhood, Keystone in Exeter.)
The best fishing is probably Archbald to Dickson City. It's tricky though because the fish seem to move. A hot spot 1 month is dead water the next. Some spots: just upstream of A & G is pretty good; near the sewer plants in DC and Scranton(Taylor?), off Laurel st in Archbald, and Robert Mellow park.
I can give more details in a pm when I get a chance.

Right now the river is probably too warm. I fished it about a week ago and early morning temps were low 60s. I caught a really nice Brown in Archbald on a Lively Legs nymph. It was the only bite I had.
I've had days of more than a dozen fish in a couple hours and I've been skunked plenty of times as well.

Seems, Cathy is right on spot. morning and afternoons seem the best. Blue wing olives, Tricos, Midges, sporadic light cahills and slate drakes. Sometimes I like to disobey the odds, fishing dusk. That magical 1/2 hour, sometimes can keep you very busy!

I am headed that way on 7/24/19 for 5 or 6 days. Hope I can find time to scout it out a little!

Maxima12

hey maxima, if you find a bicycle rim or washing machine in the river.....it's mine and I'd like to get it back. Take it home to Muncy with you and I'll come pick it up.

Tight lines
Andy

Krayfish, you come to Muncy to pick up the gold! You better figure on staying 10 days. We got a lot of talking to do and a whole lotta fishin!

I could only imagine! What a beautiful 10 days of laughter, wine and wisdom!

Clouds high, water low, were most likely in the middle!

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I appreciate it.

lonekimono wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your advice. I appreciate it.

I was born in Pittston and grew up in West Pittston. I've fished the Lack since trout were "discovered" back in the 80's.

There's certainly no shame in having a tough time figuring things out on that River. As CathyG wrote, fish seem to appear disappear for no apparent reason. Plus there's no great hatches to fish, for the most part to help you find them and key in on what they are after. It's not the kind of place where you can go there once or twice and have things figured out.

Anyway, when the flows and temps are good the best advice I can give is to check with Adam at A&G Outfitters. He is on top of what is happening or not happening on the Lack at the time. Adam is also a great guy willing to help you with techniques to use as well as locations and flies to try to be successful on the River.

Keep after it....the rewards will be great. Good luck.

Lone, thanks for what, don't leave just yet. As far as I know the boy still has not caught a nice "Big Golden sided white belly, hooked jawed Brown Trout With all those glorious trimmings of red and blue dots and those beautiful golden , shimmering, angel like fins. And the most perfect tail, you could fan yourself on a hot day!

We still have a lot of work ahead! Trust me "it will happen". If I was you, I would buy a 22 lb. turkey, keep it on hand for the big day of celebration, when all will know the walking hero and his fish!

It's all what you make of it. Some will say it was a miracle in the making!

I am on it, I can visualize in my mind a trout over 26 here. Although, I have never fished it, I have been in study. What a perfect chance to go on the hunt, just one more time! I feel I have the right fly in mind, a perfect specimen, tied on a Mustad low water salmon hook! Black gold! Yep! love the hunt. Next the perfect leader! Throw that devil of destruction, knowing leader will hold! No net, never a net! You do or don't do! The Maxima12 way!

Beach em baby! Sweat rolling into eyes, can see no more, the arm tiring, will it hold. Judgement day! Did I get too anxious at end or did I play the straight right! My guess, the boy was holding 4 of a kind!
Yeah! Yeah! yeah!

lonekimono: PM sent.

Maxima:

I caught a 26" Brown a few winters ago. I know of 2 30" that were caught.

Typical wild Lackawanna browns probably average 13-14".

Cathyg, Sorry, not to get back sooner, left several days ago to check out Lackawanna River. Glad to see you onboard. Thank you!

This is what I found, on a limited adventure. Stopped in Taylor Pa. at the One Stop Tackle Shop, Met a wonderful fellow, who I will now call, Pop-Eye the Sailor. Very nice gentleman! Pop said 26 inchers were being caught along the bike, walking trail. So, down the rd. I went, to the parking lot at the bridge. Walked down both sides of stream, Krayfish , was right, could have brought back a tire, a rim, a piece of rusty sink, etc. Did not like it much!

Now, being the Maxima12, I stopped at the sewer plant and met another, wonderful Taylor pa. citizen. Wow, our talks ended with me giving up a dozen or more leaders. A very large handful of leaders, never counted but some people will be happy!

Off to Peckville I went! The Giant Plaza, before the Giant Anchor, I went! Parked car by railroad tracks in back of plaza, walked back, took a right and started where an old railroad bridge had collapsed!
Never put my pole together, Worked my way upstream, in the Valley of Evermore, Fighting all the rocks, all the way! Looking, seeing the beauty, checking the holes, "very nice", for old Joe! No trash here! Clean, no boot prints, no cans, no signs of man, only sign of beaver and coons! No more here for me, I am too old for this trip at this spot again. A young mans fantasy and a old mans memory!

Forget those little sulphurs, tricos, skimpy flys here. Meat and potatoes all the way. I would fish a small mouse pattern here! Only problem, at dusk! But getting out at night, I can see trouble! If young again, I would use innertube! But it is always better down the line!

Hats off to all the fine people of Taylor and Peckville. No fish, no problem, more to fishing than fish. The experience, the joy, the adventure, the rush, the old desire!

Now, as with any Maxima12 post, I would recommend, Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson when reading!

Sweet Dreams;
Maxima12

Did you happen to find a shoe? I'm looking for it if you did. Hightop sneaker, left footed and foot still in the shoe.

Krayfish, no! I will guess you will have to limp a little bit longer! But remember, for you, I will crawl down the Canyon of death, one more time! If I do not return, Just walk away! No big deal, I fell for "what I loved".

Maxima12

Oh, by the way. One Stop , Tackle Shop, Taylor Pa. I bought 2 Musky, Arbogast Jitterbugs @ 7.99 ea. Was going to buy them all. But in the small mind of Maxima12, said no! Let a new adventurer come and have some! A new blood, I hope the next time I stop, no musky jitterbugs will be there! Mission complete! Thanks Pop-Eye! Your cool!

Hope a lesson is learned here!

Take, but take not all!

Maxima12.

I fish it often and by many accounts proficient. Little warm now, however two nymph set up. Caddis bottom and 24 inches above light hares ear kills. Fish tail outs and shallow in morning. They are in extremely shallow water early. Balance of time, deep pockets along edges. Fish hard. They are picky for presentation. I’ve drifted same spots 30+ times before takes. Pick A water. Each spot holds fish. Scranton seems to hold the largest fish in greatest quantity. Archibald north has smaller fish in larger quantities with a few big ones.

Attached is what I call the standard lackawanna brown

A garbage fly with a sewer gnat dropper should be good.

Larkmark, I don't think those flies would be useful to you, to me or the wonderful people that fish and live there. While this is not the most scenic river, seems people enjoy it. Your fly selection kind of gives an idea to stay away. I would like to see people use a big red nose, yellow with gold rib, purple dace. You know, the one that works.

Sooner or later the right group of fishermen will come up with a plan. You know, the kind of plan that will change the Lackawanna for ever!

All will enjoy its true beauty!

Not possible you say! Well, going to the moon was not possible!

Wonder what happened?

Maxima12

Back