Hello from Yardley

gwold

I've just recently picked up an outfit, and am wearing holes in my yard with casting practice. Short-term goal is to get a striper out in OCNJ, and hopefully in the Delaware this coming spring. Longer term, I may get some lighter tackle and try out the local (and not-so-local) streams.

I'm looking forward to sharing in the forums!

Welcome aboard

Welcome.
When the fall striper run is on in NJ I think if you’re a shore bound angler you boost your chances by fishing from Point Pleasant northward, and certainly by fishing from LBI northward as the run progresses. Just my take on the situation and note that I said “boost your chances,” which doesn’t mean that stripers can’t be caught south of there.

As for the Delaware, you should have no trouble finding stripers near Yardley from May through August. They show up in late March and April too, but I am not sure when they first hit the Yardley area or Trenton Falls for that matter in good numbers.

Welcome.
When the fall striper run is on in NJ I think if you’re a shore bound angler you boost your chances by fishing from Point Pleasant northward, and certainly by fishing from LBI northward as the run progresses. Just my take on the situation and note that I said “boost your chances,” which doesn’t mean that stripers can’t be caught south of there.

As for the Delaware, you should have no trouble finding stripers near Yardley from May through August. They show up in late March and April too, but I am not sure when they first hit the Yardley area or Trenton Falls for that matter in good numbers.
No doubt Mike is correct ^

There are many places to fish in northern NJ. FYI, Island Beach State Park and Sandy Hook are public fishing areas with ample places to try your luck.

Here is the latest report from NNJ on the striper run >

Welcome. stripers have been showing up in the Yardley area earlier and earlier. Generally speaking in the last few years but maybe not the next two years, the end of March and April is when the big ones (36” to mid 40’s) are around. If you expect to land these fish in the spring flows and amongst the big rocks you better have a stout set up. The schoolies (22 to say 27”) take over towards the end of April and May followed by resident juveniles (14” to 21”) throughout the summer. White Deceivers, Clousers, dragon tails, and half and half’s are about all you need. Just remember the schoolies and the big fish roam the river and those who cast more catch more. shore bound anglers are at a huge disadvantage in this area but you can still catch them. You might want to invest in an ugly stick, a Penn reel and a box of SP minnows if you want to up your chances from the bank. Good luck!

Welcome to the site from a born and bred central NYer. I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 13+. Feel free to check one out if you'd like.

I look forward to seeing your future posts.

Kim

Welcome from Maryland. It's a great forum and you can learn a lot from it's members.

Welcome. stripers have been showing up in the Yardley area earlier and earlier. Generally speaking in the last few years but maybe not the next two years, the end of March and April is when the big ones (36” to mid 40’s) are around. If you expect to land these fish in the spring flows and amongst the big rocks you better have a stout set up. The schoolies (22 to say 27”) take over towards the end of April and May followed by resident juveniles (14” to 21”) throughout the summer. White Deceivers, Clousers, dragon tails, and half and half’s are about all you need. Just remember the schoolies and the big fish roam the river and those who cast more catch more. shore bound anglers are at a huge disadvantage in this area but you can still catch them. You might want to invest in an ugly stick, a Penn reel and a box of SP minnows if you want to up your chances from the bank. Good luck!
Well, I have a 10 wt fly rod--I hope that's enough. If not, I could bring home the spinning rigs I have, or mount up the boat rigs again!

Welcome aboard.GG

Welcome. Joining this site is like getting a free encyclopedia of fly fishing. You might want try Sandy Hook or Island beach state park.

Back