Heating oil in Hay Creek

jeff

jeff

I know there are some of us on this forum who know how devestating this news could be. Let's hope for the best.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=292407

Update:

They pinpoint the leak running out of a trib above Joanna Furnace. Really not good.

I just got that news feed as well. Yikes. Hopefully the source is isolated to one a residential property.

jdaddy wrote:
Yikes. Hopefully the source is isolated to one a residential property.

I think that is the case. I didn't hear anything about an accident up that way like a fuel truck flippin over. I went up to the furnace today and backtracked to Route 10. The smell is really bad. I followed the creek down to the top of Hay Creek Rd where it is closed off stopping along the way. The smell started to decipate but you could definetly still smell it there. Creek was high and off colored from the rain. I looped around into Birdsboro and went up to the park. Could barely smell it there. Unfortunately this spill happened at the headwaters so only time will tell. The saving grace maybe all the rain we got. Hopefully that flushed a lot of it down to the Schuykill.

Anyone hear any news about this?

steveo, I sent an email to the Hay Creek Watershed Association board member to find out if there are updates.

Thanks jdaddy. I am really interested in what happened. I am also really nervous.

There will be a press release from the watershed association shortly. Residential quantity of heating oil leaked onto the surface and drained into a trib of Hay Creek. It continued down Hay. The Hay Creek Watershed is monitoring water. Remediation efforts are underway. The Tulpehocken Creek TU works closely with the Hay Creek Watershed as we share a number of members.

Any updates? Thanks!

Troy

DEP is working to check the area. Walking the stream at the source of the contamination found no evidence of residual fuel. Seems the flooding in the area that coincided blasted it down into the Skuk.

Back