Head Lamp Reccomemdations

P

pmelle

I've got an old head lamp that has served its purpose and isn't very bright any more. After a few different trips out let recently, it's time to upgrade. What brands have been good for you? Brightness, weight, adjustability, rechargeable are all factors I'll be considering. Thanks everyone!

Black Diamond Storm is the absolute best.

Get one that has a red light filter. Apparently the fish can't see it, or so I've heard.

The Petzl Tikka RXP is a good headlamp. It's rechargeable, has a red lighting mode and has max 180 lumen output. I have one and use it for trail running at night.

Tikka RXP It looks like Backcountry edge is offering 20% off right now if you use the code MY20.

I like Princeton tec headlamps. Get something waterproof.

The guys at Orvis Downingtown talked me into a Black Diamond light which turned out to be a great recommendation. Its waterproof and very bright.

Ron

ANYTHING Black Diamond over ANYTHING made by Princeton Tec.

I own over 20 head lamps (don't ask why) and I have returned around 10 or more Princeton Tec products (flashlights included) for warranty repair over the years for defective switches and housings that mysteriously crack.

It's a shame because I was a huge Princeton Tec fan but now I think I am done.

So far, NO issues with Black Diamond and the Spot & Storm are incredible products.

I have a Princeton Tec Remix and have got good service out of it so far. Dimmable for work on the creek and really bright when waling out.
I haven't dunked it yet so the jury is out on that.

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good info. I'm looking at the black diamond storm and the coast HL7. Both got good reviews on outdoor gear lab.com. I've used this site a lot before buying my backpacking gear. Thanks everyone.

Lifetime Warranty on Rayovacs, inexpensive and available at many retailers...

Love the Princeton Tec Fred - two levels of red light, two levels of white. It's made in the good ol' USA, too. I also have a much older, conventional bulb PT headlamp that I converted over to LED this year. I've had no issues with either head lamp, or with the 4 cell dive light I've used since 1995 (also converted to LED 2 years ago).

I'll throw this recommendation out there too:

If you want a headlamp for getting off water where seeing what lies in front of you (meaning IN the water) is important, halogen (incandescent) lamps penetrate water better than LED's. So much better in fact that I have incandescent headlamps that I use just when I am fishing big deep, rocky waters.

Case in point - I used to fish the Susky on a regular basis sometimes wading out there until 1:00 am and always wore an incandescent headlamp made by Princeton Tec that also had a single LED, which I used for changing flies. While newer LED headlamps are smaller, lighter and have so many more bells & whistles, they didn't penetrate the river water very well which always has a lot of suspended silt in it which diffuses LED light. LED’s also suck in fog.

Trust me when I tell you that being able to see all the way to the bottom of a deep hole you are about to wade through ALONE at 1:00 am on a pitch dark river on a foggy night is a HUGE comfort. ;-)

If I was even contemplating fishing such a place, I buy two headlamps. One incandescent with a halogen bulb (and hopefully an LED for changing flies) and an LED for everywhere else. Unfortunately, finding an incandescent headlamp theses days isn’t easy.

Love my petzel. check them out. I have to spring loaded adjustible head wire strap. Less bulky than others and the light is very bright. I don't have red but im sure you can get it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Petzl-Zipka-Headlamp/2252207.uts?productVariantId=4487482&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04357998&rid=20&gclid=CMnMiteTjM0CFcYehgod3xADCw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just scooped a new 2016 BD Storm and the thing is awesome! Was a nice little fathers day present.

My go to is the Petzel Tikka ... The latest generation is pretty good. Very bright, comfortable, compact. I have the pouch for it and I like how it keeps some extra batteries and the strap and light protected when not in use.

I have lost count of the number of Tikkas I have owned... lost, broken, strap gets dirty, my kids "borrow" them, all that. They are not the cheapest, but neither is it a huge loss when they have to be replaced.

It is the only one I will buy, but yes, the Black Diamonds are nice and I will not argue with those who prefer that brand.

You can get a Chinese knock-off one on Ebay for $2 and change. Why overthink it? You can buy a few for when they break or you lose them.

Black diamond all the way. Even entry level black diamond is a hundred times better than Princeton Tec. There's a reason that Princeton Tec is perpetually 50% off at Cabelas! I learned this the hard way.

Yeah. I went with a black diamond storm, got last years model at a good price on Amazon. Quality headlamp for sure.

Back