Hay Creek Fresh Posted Signs

Hey, watch what you say about unscrupulous lawyers!!!! I fall into that class of persons. BTW. Do you know why there are so many lawyer jokes? Because we deserve them. :)

Hey, watch what you say about unscrupulous lawyers!!!! I fall into that class of persons. BTW. Do you know why there are so many lawyer jokes? Because we deserve them. :)
You do deserve them. (Insurance claim adjuster here.) 😛

Liability concerns were one reason we posted, second was people not respect the property walking right by the cabin and parking on the road that we could not get past.

pcray1231 wrote:

"Long time family farms are kind of going by the wayside, and there's really 2 reasons to buy a large, huntable property upstate. Because you're a hunter and you want to hunt it. Or because you want to make money off the land (either subdividing and developing, or leasing hunting rights). They can't have Joe Public taking advantage of their hard work, nor invite a hunter and have him pay to be there, only to find someone who didn't pay sitting 100 yards away. So a few do things like that, pushing the public onto the fewer remaining properties that remain open. Now those properties are overcrowded, with people making ruts where the hunters/fishermen park, people around all the time, more litter, etc. So that landowner gets fed up and posts. And soon the majority of the properties are posted and it just kind of becomes like a standard thing for landowners of an area. All of your neighbors post, complain about the public, make jokes of the idiots who keep their land open, and are telling you how much $$$ they're making by leasing the stand over that small food plot. Imagine being a farmer and have the neighboring farm say "I only devoted a couple acres to food plots and that's bringing me in this much $$$$$". You start to say hmmm. Or if they are hunters themselves, showing you the huge buck they killed and saying what a shame it would be if some Joe Schmoe from the streets had killed that buck last year before it was mature. You know Pat, we'd have even more big bucks in this area if there weren't remaining non-posted land, you should post yours, it'd help us all. And even if you resist that temptation initially, it's in your head that you could, and suddenly a single piece of litter, or 1 car door slamming at 4 a.m., now annoys the heck out of you."

Very good summery.
Access vs easements; state wide anglers need to be a voice or simply the PAFBC belief of stocking will keep the stream property open will persist.

I love the sign on the cabin by the Trestle Bridge on Penns. If you post yours, stay off mine. Our house has land on a stocked steam. We would never have thought about posting it. I looked at it as a privilege to have land on a trout stream. If people littered a bit, I picked it up.

pcray1231 wrote:

"Long time family farms are kind of going by the wayside, and there's really 2 reasons to buy a large, huntable property upstate. Because you're a hunter and you want to hunt it. Or because you want to make money off the land (either subdividing and developing, or leasing hunting rights). They can't have Joe Public taking advantage of their hard work, nor invite a hunter and have him pay to be there, only to find someone who didn't pay sitting 100 yards away. So a few do things like that, pushing the public onto the fewer remaining properties that remain open. Now those properties are overcrowded, with people making ruts where the hunters/fishermen park, people around all the time, more litter, etc. So that landowner gets fed up and posts. And soon the majority of the properties are posted and it just kind of becomes like a standard thing for landowners of an area. All of your neighbors post, complain about the public, make jokes of the idiots who keep their land open, and are telling you how much $$$ they're making by leasing the stand over that small food plot. Imagine being a farmer and have the neighboring farm say "I only devoted a couple acres to food plots and that's bringing me in this much $$$$$". You start to say hmmm. Or if they are hunters themselves, showing you the huge buck they killed and saying what a shame it would be if some Joe Schmoe from the streets had killed that buck last year before it was mature. You know Pat, we'd have even more big bucks in this area if there weren't remaining non-posted land, you should post yours, it'd help us all. And even if you resist that temptation initially, it's in your head that you could, and suddenly a single piece of litter, or 1 car door slamming at 4 a.m., now annoys the heck out of you."

Very good summery.
Access vs easements; state wide anglers need to be a voice or simply the PAFBC belief of stocking will keep the stream property open will persist.
Well, stocking combined with the good graces of private landowners does keep riparian lands open to access for fishing. Check the statistics for 39 yrs in SE Pa that I provided earlier in this thread and consider how many stocked trout sections exist in that region. Also, statewide, note by comparison how many Class A’s not on public land and taken off of the stocking program eventually get posted within the next decade.

While I understand that easements seem to be a great route to take they also require a lot of time, effort, and negotiation. The process can be slow. Good PR, and in some cases better PR with landowners along stocked streams would cumulatively do a lot more to keep more riparian lands open to public fishing in my view.

Furthermore, fishing pressure can be dictated by stocking rates and frequencies based, for example, on a multi-year study done on Logan Branch, Centre Co yrs ago when it was stocked. When landowners are starting to get concerned about continued stocking and a WCO has his or her fingers on that pulse, stocking frequency, rates, and timing, such as no stocking prior to opening day, can do a lot to keep riparian lands threatened with posting open to fishing. That takes coordination between the AFM and WCO.

Last edited:
I have a few fraternity brothers turned lawyers, I couldn't resist lol. Of course this is coming from a guy whose chosen profession makes him the 3rd most hated person in the bible trailing only Judas Iscariot and Satan himself. Alas I hang my shingle as an account or in biblical reference, the tax collector. :)

I have a few fraternity brothers turned lawyers, I couldn't resist lol. Of course this is coming from a guy whose chosen profession makes him the 3rd most hated person in the bible trailing only Judas Iscariot and Satan himself. Alas I hang my shingle as an account or in biblical reference, the tax collector. :)
But even Matthew was a tax collector.

What’s the difference between a dead snake and a dead lawyer lying in the middle of the road?

Close. Skid marks before the snake.

What do you call 5000 dead lawyers at the bottom of the Delaware Bay?

Back