Hartford Connecticut Area

Barnuba

Barnuba

I am heading up to CT in a few weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for wild trout streams within 1 hour of Hartford?

a retired fellow i met at the tully this fall was telling me of a place up there that he has been fishing for many years. if you have never been there before hopefully someone can give you better info than i but the place he was talking about seemed exciting to check out. wild browns is what he was after if my memory serves me correctly.

Uhhm The Farmington. Google it, I am sure you will be happy.

^^That
is all you need to know

The Farmington R. is ok and the Hoos is nearby too, but if the tribs are open try them.

The Farmington River is much much better than ok.

I lived in Connecticut for 7 years and fished over 100 days a year on the Farmington and Housatonic. Both are blue ribbon trout streams and exceptionally well managed by the state and local conservationists.

The West Branch of the Farmington is exceptional with beautiful scenery and many fish. It is a tailwater but rarely gets the super high flows of the Housatonic. Its closer to Hartford and the pressure from other anglers reflects that. Fish the Boneyard and upstream. The bridge gets a ton of pressure. This time of the year is my favorite up there.

The Housatonic is also a great fishery. Its managed differently now then when I lived there, but it has some huge trout with great hold overs. I think they had some fishkill there this year because it runs warm in the summer, but I have caught western size holdover trout on that river. Its much bigger then the Farmington (wider) but has phenominal pocket water, great hatches and is worth the drive from Hartford.

These are two of the best trout streams in the East. You will be well served to check them both out.

**I just saw you said wild trout, you dont get much natural reproduction in the two above rivers, but they are exceptional fisheries. I would still highly recommend them***

I am in CT right now - trying to get out on the Farmington (about 10 mins away) but the daylight savings time and sqalling snow are messing with my fishing time!!! :-?

Back