Hardest Stream/River to Wade?

I’ve never fished the Lehigh but in these parts Slippery Rock lives up to its name.

Surprised about Penns being mentioned. I never thought it was bad.

I don’t have any experience with the Lehigh, Penns, Pa section of Yough, or Little J.
Slipperiest I have dealt with in PA are Slippery Rock creek and the shale ledges on the Erie tribs.
Toughest overall wades for me were on the Savage River. Always had banged up shins and ankles after an outing, but really enjoyed fighting those browns. The upper Yough in MD was pretty greasy the 1 time I fished it. A guy below me took a full submersion backwards with only 2 legs and 2 arms above water. I don’t fish long after seeing that. I gave him a 10 for keeping his rod dry. I tried not to laugh, figuring it was bad karma.

The Lehigh Gorge is the Beast of the East.

The Yough is the Worst of the West.

These are two DANGEROUS places, even at medium flows.

It's not a coincidence that these are two of the most popular white-water boating destinations in PA.

This got me thinking. If the river is a known whitewater rafting destination, I'm thinking it's NOT going to be a good place to wade!!!

Sounds like I need to organize a Lehigh wade fishing jam. 1500 invitees and only 3 people show 🤣🤣. If you wade that place... you are young and fit, half crazy with a death wish or really dislike spending time with your wife 😁

I've done a good amount of guide trips there and dread stepping out of the boat for lunch, walk the boat through shallows or bathroom breaks. I don't know how some of you do it. I waded in extremely low flows one fall and thought I blew both ACLs, tore a groin and broke an ankle. Tried 5 different types of shoes over the years and it made ZERO difference.

On the Yough, it's good to know the location of the WATERFALL at Ohiopyle. Wading a short distance upstream of that would be risky.

Someone from the forum was with me on the Lehigh when when these unfortunate souls wrapped their canoe around this boulder and were ejected. I think they also lost several kayaks and all their belongings in that rapid. We were anchored on rising fish and heard screaming. We turned around to start retrieving personal effects and boats while they scrambled for the banks. Luckily they were wearing vests and no one was killed.

A day or two after this, there was a big push of water and the next time through that rapid, the aluminum canoe was folded like a V around the boulder.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_223959.jpg
    IMG_20240404_223959.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 83
My brother and I canoed the Lehigh Gorge in an old 17 foot Grumman aluminum canoe. We survived, thanks to "The Luck of the Stupid."

This got me thinking. If the river is a known whitewater rafting destination, I'm thinking it's NOT going to be a good place to wade!!!
Whitewater rafting is done on one section of the river - between Ohiopyle and Bruner run access.
I've never tried to wade or fish there.
And doubt that anyone else would try it either

This thread made me curious so I watched this video of white water rafting on the Lehigh…looks INTENSE

At 71 and a half, all the streams are getting pretty scary for me to wade,lol. Stony Creek is scary. Fished the Savage last year and really looked for an easy spot. Fortunately, over the years I’ve become well acquainted with the streams I regularly fish so I know where to go and what to avoid. I’ve fallen in more times than I can recall even in a foot of water.

Lehigh gets a lot of votes here, and has another one from me for sure.

Penns and Fishing creek in the narrows too.

For me, there's nothing more frightening than this place....

No doubt, hands down whether in the east or west. It’s the Ausable in upstate NY.
I have fished there a number of time and there are some spots that are very difficult. Last year I found myself very worried about getting back to the bank in one spot. Made me realize that I should have a wading staff. Some areas have pretty large rocks. Hired a guide one year and he had a net with a long shaft that he gave me to use for balance.

I didn't realize the Lehigh was so difficult to wade, or float apparently. The Yough has spots that aren't bad and spots that are unwadeable. Even in the easy spots sometimes you can take one step too far out into the current and you start to slide. Slippery Rock was a good mention too.

I'll add the Allegheny below Kinzua. The dam release has to be low enough in the first place. I struggled more than I thought I would around the island. Heavy water.

For me, there's nothing more frightening than this place....

I rafted the Gauley about 25 years ago with a group of college friends. There were 16 of us, 14 of whom had never been whitewater rafting before. The two with experience decided that floating the Gauley would be fun. I won’t be doing it again. I was terrified the entire trip down the river. Fortunately I managed to stay in the raft through all the big rapids after falling out in a strong riffle about 10 minutes into the float. The current was so strong that it sucked off my shoes, which made the rest of the day all the more miserable.

I’ve since rafted the New River, which was much more enjoyable. The Gauley is gorgeous scenery, but I don’t need to float it ever again.

I didn't realize the Lehigh was so difficult to wade, or float apparently. The Yough has spots that aren't bad and spots that are unwadeable. Even in the easy spots sometimes you can take one step too far out into the current and you start to slide. Slippery Rock was a good mention too.

I'll add the Allegheny below Kinzua. The dam release has to be low enough in the first place. I struggled more than I thought I would around the island. Heavy water.

The Lehigh in that video is it an exceptionally high rate of flow. The gorge section in particular has a very small window between not having enough water and too much water making it impossible to fish. Unlike many streams, there aren't many gentle riffles that you can walk out and wade fish. When it picks up speed, the gradient is so steep that you're cruising. Last year I was parked on a wave while the guy in the front of the boat was nymphing. In the matter of one second, boat was sucked backwards like a low head dam and ripped sideways. Blink of an eye, we went from having a nice time to fighting not to capsize. Most rapids are shallow and littered with big boulders. If you tap one going through you completely lose control and in a dangerous situation. With a lot of time on the oars I am white knuckled almost every time I go down that River

I ain't never been to the Lehigh, and after reading this maybe I never will, either.

I ain't never been to the Lehigh, and after reading this maybe I never will, either.
I has a few sections that aren't bad.
I fished the nice pool below the tunnel at Glen Onoko.
And the large pool around the bridge in Jim Thorpe.
Of course that was in late summer, with prolly the lowest flows of the year.

Even on the easier sections of the Yough, I won't fish unless the flow is 1,000 CFS or less.
Just have to know your limitations.....

Back