Hackle for dries

W

WV waver

what’s the most economical way to purchase good hackle for size 14 to 20 dry flies? I’ve used Cabelas dry fly hackle mini pack stuff & it’s horrible in barb density, has stiff stems, usable hackle is short in length & sizes tend to be larger than 12 &14.

I don't think anyone here has ever seen the descriptors economical and good appear at the same time in a listing for hackle. I expect Big Store hackles are marketed to beginners.

While far from the cheapest option, Whiting 100 packs and saddles are all I use.

As far as size goes, because 99-9/10% of people gauge hackle based on hook gape on a BARE hook shank, if you are winding hackle over a body like you would on an Elk Wing Caddis, the hackle tips end up further away from the body than they would would would on a bare hook.

In other words, any time you wind sized hackle over a material it appears bigger. For that reason I typically use one size smaller, so for example I use size 18 Whiting 100 pack hackle on size 16 flies.

Another hackle option you can explore if you do eBay is Bill Skilton. I believe Bill is raising chickens for hackle and sells feathers and other stuff on eBay.

Bill is a stand-up guy who lives in Boiling Springs and he's an excellent fly tier. I've bought a few things from him via eBay over the years.

You can reach out to him through eBay and tell him what you are after and I'm sure he'd be glad to help you. If you don't do eBay, PM me and I can give you contact info.

Last edited:
Another hackle option you can explore if you do eBay is Bill Skilton. I believe Bill is raising chickens for hackle and sells feathers and other stuff on eBay.

Bill is a stand-up guy who lives in Boiling Springs and he's an excellent fly tier. I've bought a few things from him via eBay over the years.

You can reach out to him through eBay and tell him what you are after and I'm sure he'd be glad to help you. If you don't do eBay, PM me and I can give you contact info.
Thanks! One of my fly-tyers lives about 30 minutes away and knows all about the BS area. I need to put him in contact with Bill since neither of us trade on eBay. The first listing under materials is for the Whiting 100 saddle packs you use. ~$19 doesn't seem too bad if he can tie enough bugs with it.

I was smart enough to run around to every fly or tackle shop I knew in the VERY, VERY, VERY beginning of the "hair craze" to buy Whiting 100 packs with reckless abandon. A short time after I was done "shopping," they had more than doubled in price IF you could find them.

Many of the 100 packs I bought then are in discontinued or hard to find colors like yellow & olive, perfect for Yellow Sallies & BWO's.

People would cry if they saw how many Whiting 100 packs I have in total, with most having price tags well UNDER $10.00. ;)

Good advice... Since I have very limited knowledge, can anybody tell me if saddle hackles can be used for size 20 and smaller, or is tying that small limited to neck hackles? My son has decided to go as low as 28 for some reason.

Charlie Collins is a great option. Looks like he has also added 200 packs to his repertoire.

Charlie Collins is a great option. Looks like he has also added 200 packs to his repertoire.
Cool one-page website... No-frills indeed and no nonsense either. I really like "you get what you get."

From my experience, you'll also get a personal note from Charlie. I admit i was skeptical about just sending a check with a note as an order system, but the guy delivers and the quality of hackle is good.

While far from the cheapest option, Whiting 100 packs and saddles are all I use.

As far as size goes, because 99-9/10% of people gauge hackle based on hook gape on a BARE hook shank, if you are winding hackle over a body like you would on an Elk Wing Caddis, the hackle tips end up further away from the body than they would would would on a bare hook.

In other words, any time you wind sized hackle over a material it appears bigger. For that reason I typically use one size smaller, so for example I use size 18 Whiting 100 pack hackle on size 16 flies.

How many inches of hackle do you get in a Whiting 100 pack?

I’ve got several lifetime supplies of Whiting saddles, and at $20/100 pack maybe I should consider putting my own Whiting 100 packs together for sale. 😊

Good information. I'd be tempted to go to a local fly shop and ask the proprietor for advice. In my area, the Holsinger Fly Shop in East Freedom would be a good place to visit.

Also, if you (can) get a Feather-Craft catalogue, you can find quality hackle there.

I haven't been to Flyfisher's Paradise in State College for a while, but they used to stock good hackle there, mostly Metz products.

I can't think you'll find anything good that is cheap today.

Good information. I'd be tempted to go to a local fly shop and ask the proprietor for advice. In my area, the Holsinger Fly Shop in East Freedom would be a good place to visit.

Also, if you (can) get a Feather-Craft catalogue, you can find quality hackle there.

I haven't been to Flyfisher's Paradise in State College for a while, but they used to stock good hackle there, mostly Metz products.

I can't think you'll find anything good that is cheap today.
yes, FFPO has a good selection. Dennis expanded the stock of hackle feathers when he took over

whiting 100s pack is a very good option. I have a few. But I don't tie very many hackled flies. I feel their sizes are a bit off, but get a 14,16 and 18 pack and you'll be all set.

There is no economical solution to perfect hackle with a perfect barb count and a perfect stem. Those things are gonna cost you. If you’re simply tying to catch fish most any old hackle close in size works just as well, perhaps better but definitely not worse. Fortunately a hook shank and hook gap are units of measurement to a fly tier not a fish.

Whiting 100 packs are by far your best option. Dont get crazy trying to cover the gambit in sizes and colors. Brown, grizzly, med dun, and ginger are all you need. 12 14 and 16.

As prices on hackle have risen i have turned to compara dun style flies. Work just as well in most situations

On the economical issue, I've had luck on a couple occasions at TU / fly fishing-centric flea markets. I've gotten capes and saddles that maybe had some feathers missing for dirt cheap from older dudes getting out of the game.

I did have to air them out on the back porch for a week, though.

It just never fails, doing tricky tie, almost to wrap over the hackle for final turn or two and it breaks. Then it’s “hunt & peck” to find another suitable feather. Ones I do finish, even with 6 plus wraps do not look like the hackle will float the fly very long because it’s sparse. Does not seem to stand out 90 degrees off stem/quill either. Frustrating. Bought brown & grizzly, spent about $30 on 2 inferior little patches. Lesson learned & I pass along so others may learn from my mistakes. I’ve cut bunches of corners tying but hackle is not where that can be done IMO. Thanks for the suggestions. If the 100’s were more reasonable, I’d go that route.

Guess I can make some buggers & tails from what’s left.

Back