Hackle for dries

Good advice... Since I have very limited knowledge, can anybody tell me if saddle hackles can be used for size 20 and smaller, or is tying that small limited to neck hackles? My son has decided to go as low as 28 for some reason.

There are SOME smaller sizes of packaged and sized saddles like 20, 22 & 24 out there, but you ain't gonna find size 28 100 packs so you have to buy a Whiting "midge saddle" and do your own sizing.

I tie lots of tiny flies and still use neck hackle predominantly. Over the years I have amassed a collection of neck "tops" by swapping the bigger portion of necks with fly tiers who buy whole necks but don't tie tiny flies.

I'm sure there are lots of folks out there right now with necks they never use except for buggers because they devoid of size 16-12 feathers who would gladly swap or sell you some neck tops.

Another option is to buy the Nature's Spirit Neck Tops. I've also run across folks selling Whiting & Metz neck tops on eBay, Etsy and other websites.

Another vote for Collins hackle. Commercial or grade 3. Amazing colors and hackle quality for the price. He stopped raising birds about a year ago but still has some remaining stock. Just received an order from him the other day.

The best value I've found is to buy a Whiting 1/2 Saddle in a bronze grade. I prefer to hand pick the best saddle from a fly shop. Best $50 bucks you will ever spend for fly tying materials. Here is a description of what the saddle contains:

Whiting Dry Fly hackle sets the industry standard, and the bronze grade 1/2 saddle provides excellent value for your fly tying dollar with enough hackle to tie at least 250 flies. Feather size is a range from 12 to 18, with predominantly sizes 14 and 16.

I tie flies from the saddle and when if I run short of a size I buy a Whiting 100 pack to supplement in that size.

It works great for me, and when I worked in the fly shop, just about every Whiting 100 customer I turned on to 1/2 saddles thanked me after they bought it and began tying with it.

And if your a midge maniac>

Last edited:
Guess I can make some buggers & tails from what’s left.
WV waver
I am selling all my fly tying stuff ,so let me know what color saddles and necks you want and maybe we can work out a deal
beadhead2 (Henry Hager)

I just saw on Facebook Marketplace that there’s a woman, Jeannie Maczuga, from Unityville, PA who is selling the equivalent of Whiting 100’s, and Whiting 50’s that she puts together herself using Whiting saddles but she has a larger selection, and a lower price. I’ve purchased other fly tying materials from this woman in the past on EBay and have been happy with the quality, price, and service.

I‘m not able to copy the Link from Facebook, but you should be able to find her by searching Facebook Marketplace for “fly tying hackle”.

You can also find her items listed for sale on EBay under the user name Ladyflytyer.

Last edited:
WV waver
I am selling all my fly tying stuff ,so let me know what color saddles and necks you want and maybe we can work out a deal
beadhead2 (Henry Hager)
Sent you a PM or conversation thing, thanks.

flyfishfood yard bird hackle

Back