Guide ethics.

joebamboo

joebamboo

While fishing the Yellow Breeches this afternoon, I noticed a man and woman enter downstream from me. It was obvious that he was a guide with a female client as he was "giving instructions". I watched as he assumedly affixed a fly to her leader. He then reached into his vest and threw what appeared to be a handful of pellets into the water. The woman then cast and immediately hooked a trout. The guide did this each time she landed a fish. I find this very offensive and unethical. Not sure if there are any regulations regarding "chumming". This was in the open water.

Illegal in NY I believe

Nope not illegal unfortunately

It's how the rich people catch fish

They must do it a lot there.
I dont know when they last stocked there but trout wont just rise to pellets unless they are really fresh stocked or they chum it daily.
In public water that is offensive as hell. Once they key in on that, its hard to catch them on anything.

Our club stocked the Breeches on Saturday. The fish obviously haven't acclimated to stream life! Regardless if it's legal or not, a guide chumming is in my opinion despicable.

#censor# poor

Ok that explains it.
I still agree with you too.

Take a pic of them next time.

I rarely surveyed anglers on special reg waters, but on the one three-day occasion that I did so I found a fly angler, not a guide, who was having a tough day on the second day that I saw him. He was sneakily chumming with corn on that second day and fishing with corn on his nymph. I watched him reach into his side pocket, chum, put the corn on his hook, and catch a trout. This was probably about six weeks or more after the final stocking for the spring. This was illegal in an artificials only area, but would not be in “open” water managed under statewide regs.

If not illegal, why take a photo?

Sounds like fish in a barrel scenario, joebamboo where is the location of the breeches being stocked this past Saturday?

I have never seen a guide doing this. The guides I know are ethical and professional and recognize that sometimes catching trout is tough. They're a credit to sportsmanship.

With that said, I suspect this technique may be more common on private club water (I don't spend much time on private water and can't say I'm as familiar with what goes on there).

Perhaps I could make sense of this if the anglers being guided were very young kids - otherwise it's rather poor form IMO.

scs_browntrout wrote:
joebamboo where is the location of the breeches being stocked this past Saturday?

This stocking was done by the Yellow Breeches Anglers and Conservationists, a private club that has been active for decades. They do not publicly announce when and where stockings occur, but club members are informed of this.

They're very inexpensive to join. I've been a member for years. If you fish the Breeches regularly, you might consider supporting the YBAC - they're a good organization.

Mike you are correct. I happen to be the Membership Director. We do not publicly announce our stocking schedule. We do, however, make our members aware of our stockings.

Can't blame a guy for helping his client match the hatch. Assume they had a pellet fly on? It's not the worst thing in the world, but yeah, not what most reputable guides would do I would think. I also think it's possible (likely?) this was not a guide scenario, but just a guy teaching someone new to FFing. Does that make it any better? I dunno. Probably not, I guess. Not saying the guy wasn't a guide, but there's some assumptions being made in the OP that we don't know for certain the answers to.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of guides in general. I hired one once in CO, to fish an area I wasn't very familiar with. When booking, I had asked for a remote, hike-in day of fishing small streams. I didn't really care what species, but I didn't want to see another angler, or fish water that was heavily pressured. We ended up fishing the popular, major river (still a relatively smallish stream) that runs along the major, paved road in the area. It was clearly heavily pressured and we ended up hopping sections a lot to avoid other anglers. I missed two fish on a hopper/dropper set up, and didn't land any, though by mid-morning I was frustrated with the guy and not in a very good, or patient mindset to do the kind of fishing he wanted me to.

Good (expensive) lesson learned, and admittedly, I'm probably not a very good client in the eyes of a guide. I had a certain kind of fishing in mind, and wasn't very open to experiencing what he sincerely I think believed was the best water in the area. He had asked I leave a review on their Google reviews or whatever. I decided since I equally was not a good client, as he was a guide, I'd just say nothing at all, as opposed to leaving a negative review. I'm sure there are many good guides out there, some of whom are members of this site, who listen to their client's interests and build a day of fishing to suit them. Still, I'll DIY, and gladly take a skunking on my own before I hire another guide.

Dave_W & joebamboo being a member makes sense & I am joining today! I have lived in this area around the yellow breeches all my life & I regret that I never joined, Today is a new day!

I also read often the yellow breeches creek fishing report - Great info -
I keep an open window on my phone all the time.

Nice honest post Swattie. No shame in skunking! That's more typical for me lately!!

Here is a question on guide ethics and it is what has soured me on guides.

If you know a guide and fish with them on a personal basis not as a client, do you take them to one of your spots?

Normally and almost always i dont worry about such things. I travel all over to fish. Still i remember doing this and instantly it was about how they cant wait to bring clients there.
Funny enough they are against spot burning. Pretty hypocritical.

Would you show a guide your spots?

Back