Greys Streamflex

jayL wrote:
I understand that, and you'll recall that I argued against using it as an "all around" rod in another thread.

He's not the only one that ignored this...

Actually, I still say to hell with your Warsaw Pact nymphing, but I can confirm this thing is pretty sweet to indicator nymph or swing wets with. 10' rods make mending stupid, but whether its the line weight, my line and leader choices, or just the way its built its just not fun to cast, and the length and weight make it tough to have any decent accuracy and precision.

Jayl have you seen the new streamflex FX2 plus. Very interesting concept. I felt the rod at the show and with the extension it truly changes the action. A 9' 6" rod that houses a 6" extension in the handle to convert to a 10'. Im not quite sold on it yet.

LRSABecker here is the link for the plus series.
http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-us/products/flyfishing-rods/single-handed/xf2-streamflex-plus/

SeanC wrote:
Jayl have you seen the new streamflex FX2 plus. Very interesting concept. I felt the rod at the show and with the extension it truly changes the action. A 9' 6" rod that houses a 6" extension in the handle to convert to a 10'. Im not quite sold on it yet.

Ya, I'm not sold on it either. 9'6" rod is great for xxx but when it's not quite enough add 6" and it's great for xxx. Greys/Hardy has some great rods and concepts, but I can't see the value in this one.

gfen wrote:
(right now, HA is gonna read this post and curse, and hope I'm wrong)

Actually, HA has an empty spot in the rod racks. You know what happens when that occurs.

The trigger finger is twitching.....

And the Greys is now happy in its new home, the formerly empty spot in a rod rack.

Oddly enough, I took out my other 10' rod today and was able to do all the magic I thought the Greys would confer on me in a lighter package.

The moral of this story, people: You should always cast the rod before you buy it (or have a backout plan).

I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't consider offers for my streamflex. Not sure yet, and it depends on the terms, I guess.

jayL wrote:
I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't consider offers for my streamflex. Not sure yet, and it depends on the terms, I guess.

85757_o.gif

^
That's Becker as he races to be the first to PM you.

Curious, then, what's your take? I know you'll happily fish the way it was meant to be used, so what's got you down on it?

Most people who own them seem to praise them, I knew I was odd man out going into this, so my opinion isn't very valid (or, less than usual).

gfen wrote:
^
That's Becker as he races to be the first to PM you.

Curious, then, what's your take? I know you'll happily fish the way it was meant to be used, so what's got you down on it?

Most people who own them seem to praise them, I knew I was odd man out going into this, so my opinion isn't very valid (or, less than usual).

I don't see where it deserves the rave reviews. It performs its intended duties well, but I don't fish that way too often, and I almost never set out to fish that method exclusively.

I just wasn't too impressed with how it does other things, and I don't see myself committing to fishing it too often for that reason. Multiple people have told me that it does general duty well, but not with my stroke, at least not yet. I am a believer that we can adapt to the rod, rather than the other way around, so maybe I'll take a shining to it.

I am probably going to give it a shot on a few trips this spring to see how it goes... unless I get knocked over with an offer I can't refuse.

Factor in that I have two 9' 5wts that I am going to request get buried with me when I die, and the streamflex won't get all that much use.

It was the first rod that was really geared to "the style" and it came in at a favorable price. I personally used a GPX 4 wt on it and found I could present drys with it rather reasonably on larger streams where I was making 20-40 ft casts. I imagine between tight lining and 20 ft may be problematic.

Has any of yinz guys tried out the XF2s? I want to get the 10' 3wt or the 11' 4wt. I am also considering the 10'6" 3wt Echo Shadow PE. Anyone?

Hey Tuna. I have the new FX2 11' 4wt and love it. I also have the 3wt stream flex 10 footers as well. IMO the new FX2 11' 4wt is the perfect nymphing rod. I know a few guys who have the Echo Shadow PE and swear by them. You cant go wrong with either but its best to get your hands on one first. Any questions feel free to PM me.

gfen wrote:
And the Greys is now happy in its new home, the formerly empty spot in a rod rack.

It didn't make it to the rod rack - it's going fishing with me tomorrow. :cool:

Nice rod - feels like a 4wt to me. I had the good luck to fish the very first 10' Streamflex in the US back in 2007. The owner was really impressed with it, and so was I. Wish I didn't wait so long to get one - should have bought one when they were first released in this country.

We'll see how much mojo is left in this thing A.S.A.P.

Thanks Gary!

Enjoy it, its been bloodied, but only somewhat.

Meh not looking to purchase a nymphing rod right now, 2 months ago, yes. Starting to think about building my 4wt instead.

Have any of you fellas cast, tryed or own one of the 10 foot "Brook Series" rods from Cortland?

No, there's been some discussion on them here, IIRC, however. You might try Google searching just the PAFF site:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22cortland+brook+10%22+site%3Apaflyfish.com

Based on that, Lonewolve owns one. I swore someone else did, too.

I had the Greys, I have a TFO Jim Teeny 10' 5wt. I could use the latter all day long and only lament its weight, you've read my opinion on the former.

I put the question about the Cortland out as a "New Topic" Thanks.

Tuna,
do you really need another rod?
Get a 10 or 11 Ft 5 wt so i can try it!

Joe, I don't "need" any rods, its just nice to have a variety. I'm calling it my Valentine's Day gift for myself. I'm prob going with the Grey's 11' 4wt and either an Echo 10'6" 3wt or a Grey's 10' 3wt. I thought about an 11' 5wt, but I already have a few 9' 5wts and 6wt and a 10' 7 weight, so I doubt it would get used much. If I could find a Cortland Brook for around $125-$150 in 10' 5wt, I would probably by it, I'm a sucker for good deals.

Back