Greys Streamflex

SeanC wrote:
Yeah Fredrick. You can use a 9' rod and often the size of the stream dictates it. Some guys that use traditional euro methods swear by them.

Ok thxs I want to get a longer rod to practice some of these newer techniques but I'm going to perfect them wirth the 9 footer first than mabe move on to a longer rod if I feel I need more reach

Kinda OT but would anybody have a recommendation for a reel on a Streamflex 10' 3wt? Just got mine this week and I thought I could get away with my 3/4 Battenkill but I think it is a tad to heavy. I was also thinking about underlining it with a 2wt DT any suggestions?

Thanks Pat

Balanced very well with a 1494, but a 1594 or a 1494 1/2 would've been a little nicer.

Butt heavy with a 1495, and it looked silly.

Way tip heavy with a Vivarelli Goldstar.

Well, yours was about the reel. His was about JIMP'ing on the streamflex.

Direct your anger to Skeeter, who has failed to use the proper thread! SKEETER!!!!one! (although to be fair, its not on the front page, and he did say "kinda OT," but if we're gonna...well, hell, its more fun to pick at the Queen... Way to fail, Becker. Way. To. Fail!)

Since we're over here now, what reel did you end up using, Jay? I don't recall.

I was gonna say, wait your Greys question was about a reel, Mine was about the rod. 2 different subjects. Bleh

I went with the allen alpha. Brian went with the medalist rimjob deal. His is balanced way better, but mine is lighter. Both work fine.

Wait, who's Brian? Your cohabitant?

Did he use a 1594 rimjob model or a 1594 1/2 rimjob? I'm curious, because I don't like my 1494 on it.

AHHHHHH! LOL. Sorry about the derailment. Not like that has ever happened, apparently. Thanks for the link Jay!

1595. I believe he said it is deadnutz. It's in the other thread. But no, he's not the cohabitant.

It's an awful lot of reel, but it does balance the rod.

Oh, yeah..sure 'nuff he says 1595.

Man, that's ALOT of reel. 7.1oz!

That's craziness, I hang a 1595 on my 10' 5wt TFO Teeny and it's too much, it pairs well enough with an 11'6" cabela's switch rod, though.

edit: I wonder if that's part of what I don't like about mine, if he's got htat much weight globbed on the butt. I know the right reel makes my other 10'r cast better than it does with something lighter.

(right now, HA is gonna read this post and curse, and hope I'm wrong)
(i probably am)

You are free to pair it with my allen at some time to see how it works.

I hope to replace it with enough funds to put a dent in a Steffan Brothers 8' 3/4. :)

I have the new Sage Click series on my streamflex rods. They are one of the lighest reels made. Its personal preference, some people like the heavier reels to balance the rod but what you will find is the longer the rod the heavier reel you need. If you are throwing an 11 foot rod all day i wold go as light as you can.http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=132673

SeanC wrote:
I have the new Sage Click series on my streamflex rods. They are one of the lighest reels made. Its personal preference, some people like the heavier reels to balance the rod but what you will find is the longer the rod the heavier reel you need. If you are throwing an 11 foot rod all day i wold go as light as you can.http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=132673

Here's where the competition mindset differs from the casual mindset, imo. :)

I really just can't enjoy fishing a rod that is too tip heavy. It might be the best tool for super hard fishing, but the way I usually fish, that's not too much of a problem. I fish a lot, and I fish long days, but I take plenty of breaks, and am not worried about weight as much. I basically fart around for a sizable percentage of the day when I go fishing. I'll take the heavier reel in exchange for better feel in hand.

Jayl again this rod was not designed for all around fishing. Its designed for the euro tactics. By the way you might be suprised but a perfect day of fishing for me is hiking up a small mountain brook trout stream with my 1wt and enjoying a stream side lunch. Its not all drag racing

I'm in agreement, but I'd think it would be more stressful to hold a tip heavy rod all day long...the lever effect would work against you all day long and lead to stress.

But, what works, works, Its a Click III, I assume? Sage makes a sharp looking large arbour reel...

Your correct I have a few of the click III reels and at 2 1/2 oz its awesome

SeanC wrote:
Jayl again this rod was not designed for all around fishing. Its designed for the euro tactics. By the way you might be suprised but a perfect day of fishing for me is hiking up a small mountain brook trout stream with my 1wt and enjoying a stream side lunch. Its not all drag racing

I understand that, and you'll recall that I argued against using it as an "all around" rod in another thread.

But even when I am "euro nymphing", I would prefer a balanced rod. I also use this rod for fishing some small streamers, as well as indicator nymphing in occasional situations.

And I expect it to be usable in a pinch if fish start rising.

The rod is advertised as something that can handle all of that if need be. I prefer to balance it. To each his own. And again, if my arm gets tired, I go find a log and take a break. I don't worry about weight.

My Lamson Litespeed is AMAZING on my 9' 4wt Winston BIIIx, however I find it to be miserable on my 10' 4wt Winston BIIIx. A heavy Bauer reel is much better imo. In Euro nymphing we are fishing an extended rod with correctly pitched rod angle. I find that to be drudgery when the rod is tip heavy.

Back